• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cksonefelt

cksonefelt

Varminter

• 6 posts
  • Local time: 02:34 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

How many calls is too many?  With so many to choose from, a man could have enough to fill a suitcase with them.  I realize it is mostly preference, but if you had to list the necessary ones, what would you say?  I've got about 8 reed type and about 6 mouth calls including 3 I made myself.  Since I'm new to the calling gig, I am trying both styles, but I seem to like the reed style better.  

#2 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 365 posts
  • Local time: 02:34 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

How many calls?   How many guns does one need?  JUST ONE MORE!!!!!

#3 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,854 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:03 AM

Hand calls. I like to carry 2 each of raspy & high pitched. Plus a howler for howling, yipping & ki-yis after the shot. Then I carry a call from the late 60's or early 70's I got from my Dad. He used it for fox back then.

As for open or enclosed reed it's all a preference. I carry both because I would rather have them & not need them VS the alternative.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#4 Chief

Chief

Varminter

• 68 posts
  • Local time: 12:34 AM
  • Interests:Predator Calling

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

I normally will only take two handcalls,one open and one closed reed plus a squeaker and of course my e-caller.

I have a rather extensive collection of handmade calls.  All are put in box and only sees the light of day when I'm actually calling.  If a coyote/bobcat/fox/lion etc comes in than that call is put on display in my man cave, if nothing comes in then it goes back into the box.  Just a few of many

AnlrKoE.jpg

xLgKZS7.jpg

Made by Ernie Wilson from the base of my daughters first coues.
JnDXGtq.jpg

Edited by Chief, 19 August 2017 - 08:23 AM.

I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take an ass whipping.

#5 Chief

Chief

Varminter

• 68 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

I should have added that the first call is made from the horn of one of our steers that our daughter raised as a 4H Project.  The second set of four are all made from a Oak & Mesquite tree from our backyard

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Varminter

• 565 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy building guns as much as shooting them.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

I normally carry 4 or 5 with me. Some kind of distress call, a howler, A female, and a pup.  Then depending on where I am I also have had good luck with a house cat fighting. Its done with a thick rubber band . If you are anywhere near where a coyote has come in contact with domestic cats , this one works! DR

#7 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,854 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

Nice calls. The set of 4 looks almost exactly like Brad Gaineys calls from Tennessee.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#8 Chief

Chief

Varminter

• 68 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Nice calls. The set of 4 looks almost exactly like Brad Gaineys calls from Tennessee.

Exactly!  Brad made these for me some time ago.  Shortly after I received them I took two of them out and called in not only a fox but a bobcat.  A week later using the other two calls we called in another fox and later in the day a bear.  Unfortunately none were in season at the time so no pictures of dead stuff with Brad's call.