• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts
  • Local time: 01:31 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

So I bought these Lee R.E.A.L. bullets (minie balls) a few years ago. Now I can't find the info on who/where I got them from. I DO NOT have any desire to mold my own. I'd rather pay someone else to do it. When I do a google search all that comes up is the molds or reviews. I'd think someone out there is molding these.

Any help...

Protector of the nuts.

#2 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 380 posts
  • Local time: 12:31 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

Don't know if they have what you are looking for,but they say to call them if you don't see what you want.

http://www.pennbulle...m/calibers.html

#3 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,140 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Thanks, it looks like they have only hard cast handgun or CF bullets tho.

Edited by Red, 16 December 2016 - 01:00 PM.

Protector of the nuts.

#4 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:41 AM

These people do a lot of muzzle loader conical casting and sell them.

http://bullshop.weeb...om/bullets.html

You might also go on the forum here and ask if any one sells them.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/

:tonguecamo:   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, 17 December 2016 - 04:42 AM.

#5 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,857 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:12 AM

Nothing but muzzle loader stuff here. Check out the stock blanks for the Ky Long Rifles!!

http://www.logcabinshop.com/

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#6 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,140 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:33 AM

Thanks guys, I was able to locate the guy who made them for me over 2 years ago. It's a bullet that apparently doesn't sell too well. He's willing to make them. I'm ordering a lifetime supply. At $9.50 per 50 It's still considerably less money than any of the off the shelf stuff.

Edited by Red, 17 December 2016 - 06:47 AM.

Protector of the nuts.

#7 Bronze Bullet

Bronze Bullet

Varminter

• 109 posts
  • Local time: 11:31 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, Varmint hunting, reloading, gemstone cutting, family time.

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:58 AM

That sounds like a good price Red, I 'd hate to be doing them at that price.  Glad you found a source.

BB

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,140 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

They're on their way. I suppose casting them myself wouldn't be out of the question. It's just one more thing tho, and have no desire to get into it. Like I need another hobby or something to consume my time. I'd rather not.

Protector of the nuts.

#9 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 AM

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:27 AM

Once you retire you will wonder where you found the time to hold down a job.

:tonguecamo:   Al

• Bronze Bullet likes this

#10 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 554 posts
  • Local time: 11:31 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:27 AM

I'm with you Red. Lots of folks think casting bullets is as easy as falling off a log. Well.... it isn't! To do it correctly, is a learning process, and even so-called experts miss the boat all too often. I've seen store-bought ammo which were perfect looking, but underweight because of internal voids. I tried casting for a few months, and just gave up! I think I saved a lot of frustration doing so!

#11 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

I'm with you Red. Lots of folks think casting bullets is as easy as falling off a log. Well.... it isn't! To do it correctly, is a learning process, and even so-called experts miss the boat all too often. I've seen store-bought ammo which were perfect looking, but underweight because of internal voids. I tried casting for a few months, and just gave up! I think I saved a lot of frustration doing so!

Alan you are correct, that casting takes lots of trial and error to find the right mix of ratios. I only make shotgun sabots(LYMAN), but I finally found a ratio that worked with equivalent to bearing alloy of aluminium/plumbing lead. When mixed properly they cast properly,with only an average of a 25 grain sacrifice.😀
After casting 200 sabots, now it's time to try out loads that can give me usable group at 60 yards. Oh my shoulder is already saying nooooooooo! 😮
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK