Fire arm deer season 2016

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 12:11 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:55 AM

:shockedcamo:  That flat tire trip would have been bad and expensive, Red!

Is a grand idea, taking your camper hunting for a couple of days. I wish you good comfort and great hunting. 

I used to BP hunt with BP.  Back in those days it was all we had. What is now available is really nice.

#32 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:31 AM

In my area BP is impossible to get due to fire codes and storage. I also just like T7 loose and works great. Caught the dickens a few years back when I bought 8 pounds of T7 after the season from Wal Mart on clearance for $10.00 a jug. Went to the local gun shop about a month ago and pointed out it is over 20.00 a bottle now.

:tonguecamo:   Al

#33 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:39 AM

In my area BP is impossible to get due to fire codes and storage. I also just like T7 loose and works great. Caught the dickens a few years back when I bought 8 pounds of T7 after the season from Wal Mart on clearance for $10.00 a jug. Went to the local gun shop about a month ago and pointed out it is over 20.00 a bottle now.

Proof you scored good, Al! 

#34 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:56 AM

Ya but some times the boss is not happy with what I spend now that I am retired.

Mostly try to make do with most stuff.

#35 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:58 AM

Ya but some times the boss is not happy with what I spend now that I am retired.

Mostly try to make do with most stuff.

I should retire but still like the old day job and extra money. But my wife still gives me her evil eye when I consider buying certain hunting and fishing items. Her Cherokee evil eye can crush boulders to dust, even though she is a professional compulsive shopper. :dazedcamo:    :rolleyescamo: 

Christmas is coming soon. Maybe I can buy her a brick of .17 WSM ammo, even though she doesn't hunt or have any guns of her own. :tonguecamo: 

#36 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:29 AM

Ya could do that and say you miss under stood that she wanted to start shooing.\

#37 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:18 AM

Good idea, Al!

Our shotgun deer season opens today and both of my brothers are deer hunting but not I.

I enjoy squirrel hunting some woods reserved for myself and will probably be there this afternoon. I don't pay to hunt. The landowners are good friends. The same woods are pasture for cattle and the landowners know I will eject anyone that sneaks onto the property unless they are trying to recover a dead or crippled deer, my call.  

One must be very cautious  while deer hunters are afield. Fortunately, we are allowed to small game hunt here during deer season.

#38 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

:shockedcamo:  That flat tire trip would have been bad and expensive, Red!

Is a grand idea, taking your camper hunting for a couple of days. I wish you good comfort and great hunting. 

I used to BP hunt with BP.  Back in those days it was all we had. What is now available is really nice.

Just back and it was a total bust. No one was seeing any deer except on trail cams at 2:30 AM. 12-14 guys and one measly little doe had been killed as of 1:30 today (3 days in) when I left. One more day is left in the season but I had to get back to work. Once again the Hawken did not kill or even see a deer. It may be jinxed.

Protector of the nuts.

#39 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

That is sad, Red. At least you got out and did some camping. About your Hawken, could be. Tell ya what, let's both blame it on your cursed Hawken. Works for me.

There are days while hunting we do everything right but nothing shows, even in good hunting weather. :unsurecamo: 

#40 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

yeah it seemed like perfect weather. Had a good trip.

I've taken a few coyotes with that rifle, but it has just worked out when I have it no deer show up. I'm not giving up. Eventually I'd like to get a new inline job...but not until I take at least one deer with this one.

There's an additional M/L season next weekend. The forecast looks to be too cold for me right now tho.

Protector of the nuts.

#41 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:30 AM

I put my Hawkins together from a kit my brother got me for Christmas 1976 so I would go hunt with him. Worked well but no deer under it either then my eyes got so I could not shoot it due to the iron sights. I bought a Plains rifle that was drilled and tapped so I could put a scope on it. It also never got a deer, I was filling my gun tags with a rifle. Fellow in England read a post I made on a long gone muzzle loader forum and sent me a peep site for my Hawkins and I have hunted a few times with it since again.

I am a fan or Remington 700's, When they came out with the Muzzle loader I had to have one. Kare got it for me for Christmas 1999.

I finally shot a buck 2014 with a muzzle loader after hunting 45 years with out getting one.

I still like the side lock percussion rifles.

#42 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:04 AM

After looking into the Knight rifles, The Mountaineer to be precise...and the price, $1,000, I won't be getting one of those anytime soon.

Protector of the nuts.

#43 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

You mind a used one? remember muzzle loaders can be shipped USPS.

Check this one out.

http://www.huntingne...ountaineer.html

:tonguecamo:    Al

#44 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,569 posts
  • Local time: 10:11 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

To the wife, "Oh I've had that for a long time." Time can be such a relative thing even if her hard look can turn stone to dust. Still working here.

Good luck with she who must be obeyed.

Sean

• Old Hickory likes this

#45 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:54 AM

My wife was introduced to online shopping and she loves it. She is more worked up about overdue packages to arrive than if she would encounter a rabid wolf in our house. I think our wives are hardwired for shopping.

Husbands like us have to depend upon strategy. I bank extra money every month and after the Christmas dust has settled, it's time to shop for Santa.

I have one BP gun left, a never fired gift pistol. It is a reproduction of what Lincoln was shot with.