• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts
  • Local time: 03:12 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:51 AM

Opening morning with a waning super moon, well above normal temptures. Woods as dry as a old bone and has not had rain so long the leaves are ankle deep. Morning air damp, many places in Michigan reported fog to thick you could not see 30 feet.
Total deer seen None. Number of shots nearby in the morning 3 from different places, afternoon and evening 6 total, 3 from one location.

Need air conditioning in the deer blinds, 59F for a day time high.

Deer hunting weather here in Michigan normal around mid 30'sF range. Have to wait till Sunday when forecast is close to that.

:tonguecamo:   Al

#2 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

44F, feels like 41F, at 4:00am is 55F at 12:00pm.
Saw a pair of does at 7:52am the one was older you could tell and she was wheezing really bad. I heard her coming before I saw her and thought she was a trespassing old hunter. Lots of leaves still on the iron wood trees along the creek. I used the range finder and the farthest I can see along the creek is one lane 52 yards. A lot of iron wood trees holding leaves at this blind site need a real good wind and some rain would be nice too.
Just a few squirrels in the afternoon till 4:50 pm then a small racked buck came from the west down a drainage wash out to the flats look with the binocs confirmed he was a 3 point I had gotten a picture of midsummer. Only the second day of the season so I wasn’t ready to give up my tag on suck a small racked buck. Then at 5:10 a does comes from the east all alone.
Still need to have air in the deer blind, probably be wishing for some of the heat Sunday when they are forecasting a high of 39F with rain and snow.

:tonguecamo:    Al

#3 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts
  • Local time: 02:12 AM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

Still need to have air in the deer blind, probably be wishing for some of the heat Sunday when they are forecasting a high of 39F with rain and snow.

Just wait until a month from now  ;)

• Old Hickory likes this

#4 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:23 AM

Month from now will probably be setting heat for the day records too.

Is starting a bit cooler this morning at 30F.

#5 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:41 AM

Real warm this morning at 56F, blind got hot inside by noon so picked a different one after dinner hoping the south wind would keep the insides cooler. I stuck it out but think would have been more comfortable just propped up against a tree and taken a nap in the sun shine.
Saw that wheezing doe again as I was packing up to quit for the day. Funny she can put her head down and graze and not wheez but once she lifts her head to look for danger she started in again.
Kare asked me if I thought it was CWD, body seems sound and coat is sleek

Edited by alleyyooper, 19 November 2016 - 01:41 AM.

#6 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 01:12 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:42 AM

I wonder it she has Blue Tongue. We have lost a lot of deer to CWD and Blue Tongue.

It's 33F here with the wind howling at 18-37MPH. It is supposed to continue all day. I don't reckon too many folks will be sitting in tree  deer stands today.

Of course, that nixes my squirrel hunting. :sadcamo: But, the strong wind does do us a good service by eliminating leaves off the trees.

Squirrels are getting ambushed tomorrow because it's supposed to be much nicer.

#7 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:25 AM

Just got in a bit a go for lunch. Glad I have deer hunting shack blinds. Was 38 on my weather station and 29 wind chill at the moment wind gust to 30 MPH.  also had a short stretch of sleet and then misty snow. Here they are saying sunny for Sunday but still windy and day time high around 35. Finally some decent deer hunting weather, get one and I can butcher it my self and not worry about spoilage due to heat.

I will have to read up on blue tongue.

Just finished reading about blue tongue and am sure that isn't what is wrong. Yes the first time I saw her she was going in the direction the creek was in but stopped well short of that and went up the hill to a non shaded field. Yesterday she was standing in the field and it was 71F and real sunny and there was plenty of shade from the pine trees but she stayed well away from them.

Edited by alleyyooper, 19 November 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#8 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:26 AM

From my research, I would venture the deer has lungworms.

#9 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:52 AM

I don't know what she has and probably never will. I won't shoot her and don't allow those who hunt with me to do that either.

If they want to shoot does then can make friends with those next door who never shoot any thing but.

Cold this morning and I knew that when IO was getting ready to go, was like 32F with A wind chill of 21F at the air port in town. When Kare woke up and called me on the 2 way she said it was down to 28F and a wind chill of 18F. I stuck it out till 10:00. Will take my heaters to the blinds this afternoon. 

I spooked at least 3 going in at 6:30 this morning. funny they were in the tall grass behind my pole barn, a good wind break.

#10 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

32F feels like 21F wind NW @ 17mph. by 9:30 am it was down to 32 with a wind chill of 18F and 25 mph winds.  Glad the wood burner was fired up as I came in frozen.

4:40pm in my front yard, first seen at 2:30, he was chasing does.

Buck hammer ruined the heart and lungs he went about 10 feet. I call him a 7 1/2 as one brow tine is broken off.

https://www.shutterf...e#1479690955263

Edited by alleyyooper, 20 November 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#11 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

Nice going and against the bad odds weather, Al!

#12 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:43 AM

Was so darn cold and windy I left my morning blind early. I had not put my heater in there yet.

Now will spend time on squirrels and coyotes.

#13 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:46 PM

I fired two shots, killed two deer. Was warm Friday but turned colder Sat, & Sunday. Low 28*. The temp isn't or wasn't the issue, It was high winds Friday followed by constantly changing winds on Saturday. The deer don't like it. Sunday was the coldest but almost no wind and it stayed constant and comfortable. After seeing no deer Friday & Sat, I had at least 5 around me on Sunday morning before 10:00am.

Protector of the nuts.

#14 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Nice going Red!

We finally got some cold weather and the deer started moving. They are in rut and very active. I saw several small bucks and lots of does on Sat & Sunday.  I found this one today. The throat is all messed up because that's where I shot him. The brush, weeds and grass were so thick that was the only shot I had. (The photo wasn't taken where I shot him.)  He isn't huge but he does have an interesting set of antlers. 

On the right,  three tines and no eye guard.

On the left,  an eye guard, four tines and a broken short tine.

IMG_1272_22.jpg

Edited by Rudy, 21 November 2016 - 04:39 PM.

#15 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

Close up

IMG_1262_21.jpg

Edited by Rudy, 21 November 2016 - 04:49 PM.