13 replies to this topic

#1 dupe34

dupe34

Varminter

• 22 posts
  • Local time: 10:50 PM
  • Interests:Squirrel and small game hunting, rimfire target shooting

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:05 AM

I was looking at getting a Czech 527. Don't know if I want a 17 hornet or 223. Any suggestions ?

#2 dupe34

dupe34

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:06 AM

That's supposed to be cz. Damn spell check

#3 Aspencreek

Aspencreek

Varminter

• 166 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

What are you going to be using it for?  That would help us make suggestions.  I've got CZ 527s in both 17 Hornet and 204 in the heavier Varmint versions.  They are both fantastic shooters, easily doing sub-moa groups with factory Hornady ammo.  Love that little Hornet round - it really does a number on smaller game and all while being relatively quiet and without any muzzle jump.  Which means you can crank up the scope and spot your own hits.  Picked up the 204 a few weeks ago to use specifically for coyotes and so far it is working great on them.

#4 dupe34

dupe34

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

For small varmint like p dogs and occasional groundhog

#5 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 380 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

How far do you intend to shoot?  I use 6mm Remington.  One set for 400 yds. or less the other set for 1,000.  If your looking for out to the 300 yard area, I would go with the 223.   Others may disagree.

#6 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 554 posts
  • Local time: 08:50 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:33 AM

I've never owned a 223, but I've owned and shot several Hornets, including a .17 and a .22 Ackley improved. No matter, 125 yards is about all you can expect out of them. Yes, you can kill out to twice that, but hitting prairie dogs at 200 yards is a hit or miss (excuse the pun) situation. 

#7 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

If I could have only one rifle it'd be a 204. The 223 is great especially if you don't reload. It doesn't heat up quite as fast as a 204. But, when 39-40 grain bullets are used, the 204 will reach way out there. jmo

Protector of the nuts.

#8 dupe34

dupe34

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Aspencreek what do you consider effective range for 17 hornet on small varmints? I've coyote hunt with a nice Howa 243. So I'm not concerned about using it on larger varmints.

#9 Aspencreek

Aspencreek

Varminter

• 166 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

I'd say the range is something like 250 or so yards on the 17 hornet for small game.  Alan mentioned a range of 125, but I think that is way too conservative an estimate.  I'd agree on that range for the 17hmr, but with the 17 hornet I've taken rock chucks (marmots) out close to 300 with it and I almost never get crawl-offs.  It's usually a pretty hard hit even then.  That's getting way out there and I'd rather be a bit closer, but for sure you can do up to 250 on most small game.  Heck, I've taken a coyote at a range-findered 200 yards (the one below) and it only managed to move 10 or 15 yards before expiring.

17h-coyote.jpg  

cz-17h.jpg

badger.jpg

#10 dupe34

dupe34

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

Ok th

I'd say the range is something like 250 or so yards on the 17 hornet for small game.  Alan mentioned a range of 125, but I think that is way too conservative an estimate.  I'd agree on that range for the 17hmr, but with the 17 hornet I've taken rock chucks (marmots) out close to 300 with it and I almost never get crawl-offs.  It's usually a pretty hard hit even then.  That's getting way out there and I'd rather be a bit closer, but for sure you can do up to 250 on most small game.  Heck, I've taken a coyote at a range-findered 200 yards (the one below) and it only managed to move 10 or 15 yards before expiring.
 Thanks for info. I want something a little different.
17h-coyote.jpg  

cz-17h.jpg

badger.jpg

#11 dupe34

dupe34

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:13 PM

Ok thanks for info. I'm wanting something different and think the hornet is what I want.

#12 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,569 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

I'm shooting the 17WSM (20r.) at 300 yards and can hit with regularity. The 17 Hornet is 700 fps faster so should work farther. I've not had a chance to shoot the Hornet at distances over 200 yet but that is coming. I once took a PD at 1000 yards with my 25-06 when we used to shoot at the Rosebud (don't think my eyes are up to it now), also took a PD at 700 with a 222 at the same local. These were all witnessed by friends. It is interesting that the 17's were not as effected by wind as one would think during these shoots. Smaller cross section and less time of flight kind of evened it out. 

I find the challenge of the 17's to be something I enjoy. Recently got two Sakos, one in 222 the other in 222Mag and will be working on having a good time with both. All the calibers mentioned above are fun, inexpensive to shoot and can reach out so they are all good choices.

We had an event this past Saturday and I took out my Armalite A2 in 416 Barret and if you really want to reach out I vote for it at $9.00 overtime you pull the trigger.....LOL

Sean

#13 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

I was able to make 200 yard shots with my 22Hornet on prairie dogs fairly easily, some a little further with 40 grain v-max. I only used it on one shoot with a 100 yard zero and some hold over so I have minimal experience with it in the pd towns. I can only imagine the range of the 17Hornet is significantly better for small critters. It will likely require more frequent cleaning.

Sean, I hunted with a guy who took a prairie dog at 1000 yards with a 223. But you'll have to admit those are extreme distances. 500 yards is a long shot with a 223, not so much for 204 with heavy bullets. I've killed them at 500 and beyond with a 223 but my hits per rounds fired drops as I begin to reach out beyond 400 particularly in the wind.

Edited by Red, 14 October 2016 - 09:10 AM.

• Bronze Bullet likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#14 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,569 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

Agree totally with you Red. The group we shot with included Walt Berger and other big names in shooting. We decided that we would limit our shots to what you'd have to consider long shots. With practice the long shots became more common for all those shooting. Many times it would take several shots and walk it in for the hit. 

The more you shoot at the long distances we're talking about the better your results. So the reality is knowing your gun, your ability and some luck all always all play into hitting at distance. When ya get too good try it with a smaller caliber....but just have fun.

Sean