• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,857 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

Had to fill it somehow. lol  The penny was close enough that it took very little effort.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#17 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 01:33 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:38 AM

Back when silver was only $4 per ounce, I used a lot of it for inlays, buttcaps, and soldered laminated knife guards.

Is pretty hard to not to like using a penny for gaps, Glen. And is of course, good way of dating a piece.

I made a pair of daggers for a fella that had 2 1/2 ounces of pure silver per knife. each knife included a 1 ounce pure silver undated Morgan dollar coin on the buttcap. Handles were the crown portions cut from a set of an 8 point deer rack. That pair of knives went to the fella that sold me silver. We both got back our investment but he paid out a lot more than I did, LOL!

You have anything planned for your next project, Glen?  Most likely, you wait until the inspiration hits you.

I passed up a lot of free old barn big oak beams a few years ago so the fella burned them. Now I kick myself for passing on them. I did glom onto a cherry 4X4 offered to me by a fella that I made a knife for. The wood was from a certified 100 year old barn he owned and had to have torn down.

Another good wood is from old hedge posts. I used some that were said to be in the ground for 100 years, no kidding. I use a lot of the same wood, usually referred to as Osage orange. I suggest you cut dried Osage with carbide blades only.The wood contains a lot of minerals and I have seen sparks fly from chain saws and power saw blades when cutting the hard stuff. One other thing, knotts of the same wood don't loosen over time. I prefer the knotty stuff, has much more character. It turns great on a lathe, peels off smooth like maple.

Do you have a lathe, Glen?

#18 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,857 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:58 AM

A Morgan coin woulda been sweet to have for sure!!   You should post some of your work sometime OH.

Yesterday AM we were setting a cupola on a house roof. I asked the foreman if he ever thought about a cupola on his pole barn since he lives outside of town. He said he would put it on if I built it & re-imburse me the money I have invested in the Cypress. So it's a cupola. And yes I just look at things til something strikes.

We have a lot of old barns around here as well. I imagine some are Chestnut. I just never seem to be driving by any when they are being torn down tho.

A Farmer has a looong windrow of Osage trees. I can have all the fallen limbs I want. It turns on the lathe like a dream & sands baby butt smooth!!

As for the knots I like to get the cheap watery super glue & pour it in the cracks in & around the knots. So far I've had very good luck with that. But only real time,, 10+yrs,, will tell if it really works or knot. << :lol: :lol: .

Yes I do have a lathe. A Jet mini. I make these on it.

Walnut%20bolt%20pens%20003_zpspbfnysaa.j

• Old Hickory, davidbradford and Chief like this

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#19 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:56 AM

Hey, those are nice, Glen!  Walnut wood?

#20 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,857 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:01 AM

Thanks OH!! Yep!! Walnut!! When I found those kits a guy on another Forum was kind enough to sell me some scraps he got from a stock maker. Wasn't a lot but it sure is damn nice stuff!!

I have 2 lever action pens here right now from that same Walnut!! They be some nice ones for sure!!

You would be the envy of your co-workers when you roll one of those out!! B) B)

Edited by Glen, 08 October 2016 - 04:09 AM.

• Old Hickory and davidbradford like this

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#21 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,857 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:48 AM

Another busy Summer but not in the fun way around here.

Haven't had time to finish a bathroom cabinet I started just before work picked up this Spring.

Haven't lit any powder since Spring Turkey when I pounded a Jake at about 15yds.

My only other shot this year was a miss on a coyote up close. Maybe 25yds. LOL

As it stands I am on a 50% connection rate & should prolly stay there. LOL

I hope everybody is having a great Summer!!

• Old Hickory likes this

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#22 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

I have been spending my spare time building a new deck out back. It has been kicking my butt during hot weather. It also pulled the plug on a lot of my savings and I'm not done yet. My shop is piled up with deck building tools and material. I can't get any knife work done. 

Our local lumberyards should offer me stock options since I have heavily spent this year. At least the employees are happy to assist and help load my truck. We are on a first name basis, LOL!

I will have a dedicated place to clean my game and fish on the new deck, and my outdoor water hose will reach it. My dedication ceremony will amount to the cleaning of some tree squirrels.  :biggrincamo: 

#23 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:52 AM

Sounds like a very useful deck OH!! And I'm sure it's very nice!! Pics please!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#24 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts
  • Local time: 02:33 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

Yes I do have a lathe. A Jet mini. I make these on it.

Walnut%20bolt%20pens%20003_zpspbfnysaa.j

....And I got a couple of them..!! They're awesome..!! :screamcamo:  :screamcamo: 

• Old Hickory and davidbradford like this

#25 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

Yeah on awesome!

#26 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:06 AM

Wow,Im tempted to ask you to carve some knife scales for a knife I started when I was 20. I've taken do long with the project, that laws changed and I have had to change the blade profile from double edged dagger to singled edged pig sticker.😀
  • Old Hickory likes this
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#27 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:07 AM

Wow,Im tempted to ask you to carve some knife scales for a knife I started when I was 20. I've taken do long with the project, that laws changed and I have had to change the blade profile from double edged dagger to singled edged pig sticker.

I pin and epoxy the scales ( knife handle "slabs") to the tang and then grind the handle on my belt grinder.

"Illegal" knifes are not illegal to own, are considered illegal to carry unless you reside in a state where "illegal" knives are legal to carry if you have a concealed carry permit. Check your state laws.

If I was you, I would go with my original design. After all, you are making it for yourself. 

#28 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

Wow,Im tempted to ask you to carve some knife scales for a knife I started when I was 20. I've taken do long with the project, that laws changed and I have had to change the blade profile from double edged dagger to singled edged pig sticker.

I pin and epoxy the scales ( knife handle "slabs") to the tang and then grind the handle on my belt grinder.

"Illegal" knifes are not illegal to own, are considered illegal to carry unless you reside in a state where "illegal" knives are legal to carry if you have a concealed carry permit. Check your state laws.

If I was you, I would go with my original design. After all, you are making it for yourself. 

Unfortunately in my state of Victoria, Australia, the weapons Act I'd a scary thing to behold,under it I'd have to get a permit to have a double edged blade. It bans the possession of such things as throwing knives/axes, ninja stars and other articles not in the public interest. It seems to tacle criminals, good people suffer as a result.
  • Old Hickory likes this
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-

#29 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:23 AM

I certainly understand what you said, AZZA. Our top murder USA cities have the most strict gun laws.   :rolleyescamo: 

#30 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

Just typical, politicians have sacrificed the truth and used fear to gain votes and control the populace. In my state all non firearms come under Weapons Act 2004 ( I think) and firearms come under Firearms Act 1996 (it's no coincidence it was drafted after the massacre in Tasmania that year), then to complicate it, there are changes that can coalesce under the Crimes Act 1958.

Am I a lawyer, heck no. I had to know most of the sections under these acts whilst holding Private Security Licence's for over 10 years. I'm proud to say I put defence lawyer's to shame, yes it was fun.🤣
  • Old Hickory likes this