17 WSM

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,856 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:54 AM

I knew where you were coming from Mike. The hoarding wouldn't be so bad if it was a few boxes here & there. But just walking in & clearing a shelf just to do it is what will get things messed up for you guys.

I'm with Red on the 17WSM. I wouldn't mind owning one but I'm not big on the Savage. I would like a CZ. Or maybe a lever carbine!! :wub: :wub:   I just don't want to drop that much coin. :lol: :lol:

I still would rather have a 17H so I could load up & down considering the noise level of the 17WSM.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#32 Aspencreek

Aspencreek

Varminter

• 166 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 AM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

Same here.  Looked hard at the 17wsm for a while, but wasn't excited about any of the rifles offered except the Volquartsen.  Couldn't bring myself to plunk down $2k plus for that when I wasn't sure the round would survive.  Plus I already had three 17hmrs and so the 17 hornet made way more sense to get instead.  Much better jump in performance to justify it to me while still keeping the hmrs for the closer/smaller stuff.

#33 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 AM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

I guess it depends on what a guy already has. I just sold my 22Magnum so....

And I agree that the 17Hornet makes more sense, unless you're limited by a rim fire only rule, which I am in some places. That's where the 17WSM makes the most sense for me. I'm in no hurry though. And I already have a 22Hornet. It's fabulously accurate but seldom gets used so neither would a 17Hornet. Typically if I'm taking a center fire I grab the 204 or 223.

and yeah we're on the same frequency Glen. I'm just saying I'd buy an extra box or two here or there and stockpiling some. Just in case.

Edited by Red, 22 September 2016 - 02:18 PM.

Protector of the nuts.

#34 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:28 AM

I must give Ruger credit, they found some problems and are stopping production until problems are fixed.

Most Ruger guns have been well worth the investments. At work we had Ruger 77 .308 rifles serving as our sniper rifles. Yes, Ruger 77 rifles and they served us very well. I don't recall any problems and none were turned in for any repair. The actions were smooth as glass and shot great.

One of my sons owned a 77/17 with accuracy problems. He sold it and bought a Savage HMR with good results.

#35 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:44 AM

I must give Ruger credit, they found some problems and are stopping production until problems are fixed.

Is that what it is? Problems? Because they've been making the 77 rimfires and 22 Hornet for decades. I thought it was odd when they introduced the 'American'. Now it just seems like they needed a lower cost product to replace the 77's.

Protector of the nuts.

#36 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:19 AM

Is that what it is? Problems? Because they've been making the 77 rimfires and 22 Hornet for decades. I thought it was odd when they introduced the 'American'. Now it just seems like they needed a lower cost product to replace the 77's.

I understand it was accuracy problems. And yes, I agree they need to offer some less expensive models but retain quality. Old Bill would have figured it out,  and no second class guns would have been shipped.

#37 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

I understand it was accuracy problems. And yes, I agree they need to offer some less expensive models but retain quality. Old Bill would have figured it out,  and no second class guns would have been shipped.

hmmm, okay then maybe they intend to bring them back.

Protector of the nuts.

#38 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:27 AM

I looked on Ruger's website this morning.

http://www.ruger.com...heets/7216.html

:tonguecamo:   Al

#39 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,209 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

Just a couple of days ago I verified my zero with the Ruger WSM. It impresses me every time I take it out. I tweeked it for a 200 yard zero. This group was shot at 50 yards. Needed to be at + .9 inch & 50 for a 200 yard zero. Next time out I will bring a tarp to shoot from a prone position. Too many chiggers in the pasture otherwise. Three shots through the same hole on the right X of the bottle cap. You can see the actual group on the paper just above the bottle cap on the picture. My POA is hidden in this picture which was a red dot. This was shot off a card table and sand bags. A prone position will give a truer example of potential accuracy. Took it over to Tony's today. We get together every couple of weeks when he's in town to talk crap about Clinton. He wanted to see this hot rod rim fire I have been talking about. I took my mini Cass Creek crow caller and after a Beer, let her rip. Within ten seconds the crows came in. He took one off a tree top at 175 yards. When I left he was heading to Dick's Sporting Goods to buy a crow and predator caller. 

The group above was a pre tweak before I settled in. Still not too shabby.

001_3.jpg

Edited by MikeNC, 17 October 2016 - 04:15 PM.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#40 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

well I mean if that's the best you can do I guess it'll work.

• MikeNC likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#41 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 366 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

I wonder if they did that so as to get a boatload of the new Mark IVs out.   Or maybe they are redesigning it.

#42 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,565 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

Agree with you Glen on the Savage. Won't ever have another unless they really change.

Sean

#43 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:20 AM

It could be some Ruger folks panicked when a few complaints rolled in about their WSM rifle accuracy. Savage got beat up some but both makers sold rifles with mixed results.

I have a good shooting el cheapo BMAG and Mike's Ruger shoots good.

I find it hard to believe present .17 WSM makers will abandon the market. Or perhaps, nature will thin them out.

#44 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:14 AM

My Franklin will do 1 moa with occasional flyers.  I was seriously thinking of getting a Ruger 77/17 and see if I could get it shooting close to half moa.

I finally decided to wait and see if CZ comes out with a 17WSM.  I got a 204 instead which I think will be lots of fun for prairie dogs. 

#45 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:20 AM

Just a couple of days ago I verified my zero with the Ruger WSM. It impresses me every time I take it out. I tweeked it for a 200 yard zero. This group was shot at 50 yards. Needed to be at + .9 inch & 50 for a 200 yard zero. Next time out I will bring a tarp to shoot from a prone position. Too many chiggers in the pasture otherwise. Three shots through the same hole on the right X of the bottle cap. You can see the actual group on the paper just above the bottle cap on the picture. My POA is hidden in this picture which was a red dot. This was shot off a card table and sand bags. A prone position will give a truer example of potential accuracy. Took it over to Tony's today. We get together every couple of weeks when he's in town to talk crap about Clinton. He wanted to see this hot rod rim fire I have been talking about. I took my mini Cass Creek crow caller and after a Beer, let her rip. Within ten seconds the crows came in. He took one off a tree top at 175 yards. When I left he was heading to Dick's Sporting Goods to buy a crow and predator caller. 

The group above was a pre tweak before I settled in. Still not too shabby.

Chiggers and ticks are the reason I shoot prone from the bed on my truck. I lay a piece of plywood in there to get a flat surface. It also gets me elevated above the vegetation.

I cleared a couple of shooting lanes with the chain saw last weekend prior to deer muzzle loader starting. The darn chiggers really nailed me. They are bad this year with the warm weather.

• MikeNC likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 17 WSM