• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts
  • Local time: 05:26 AM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:31 PM

I wrote and asked for some clarification. Here is the my email and the response.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dwayne,
Could we get some clarification? Myself and some other people I know were considering getting the 77/17WSM and now I'm not sure if we should wait.

Is Ruger coming out with a new upgraded 77/17wsm or will that caliber be replaced with a cheaper model such as an American?

The price isn't a concern for me since I'm looking for a well built rifle. If you will be offering an upgraded 77/17WSM then it would be worth the wait. But if you will only be offering a cheaper lower quality rifle, then maybe I shouldn't wait.

Thanks for your help,
Rudy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the reply from Ruger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in getting one I would get it while you can. As for making one in American rifle, we have no plans at this time but have submitted this to our marketing department. Please kepp checking the website for new and upcoming releases.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#17 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:44 PM

So I guess their plan is to allow the most innovative rim fire cartridge ever to die on the vine. It's like if they can't realize an immense profit off of something almost immediately they're not interested.

I would have bought one of the Ruger WSM's if they'd offered a sporter weight rifle. And now I'm sorta over it at least for the time being.

Maybe CZ will step up. I keep saying that, they're apparently not listening. Or perhaps Savage will offer a higher end rifle at some point.

Protector of the nuts.

#18 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

Red,

I'm already ahead of you and contacted CZ.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Are there any plans for CZ to build a 17WSM rimfire rifle?

Thanks,
Rudy

Here is what they answered

Rude,

There aren't any plans to make a rifle or barrel set in that caliber. Let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,
Dereck

CZ-USA

800-955-4486 x 334

I'd like a 17WSM bolt action, but it would have to group better than my Franklin. 
So I suppose I will continue to wait.

Edited by Rudy, 20 September 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#19 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:47 PM

yeah that same guy got an e mail from me when the WSM first arrived on the scene. I got the same answer. I had hopes they might be rethinking that. At least they're not promising the WSM only to pull the rug out like they did with the 5mm.

I guess there's not enough market for the WSM? Seems crazy. I'm not spending the money on a Franklin and I'm not buying a B-Mag. You'd think there'd be plenty of room in the market price wise in between those two.

If I owned a WSM I'd consider stockpiling some ammo just in case.

Protector of the nuts.

#20 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,209 posts
  • Local time: 06:26 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:20 AM

I looked at the 'American' and I don't want to denigrate them. They are less money, they may be a great value, they may be accurate, I don't know.

I wouldn't trade my 77/22 for an American is all I can say. 

Sums it up nicely & in a pleasant tone. I possibly go into denigrate mode a tad soon. I tend to agree on keeping a close eye on the WSM ammo situation...but I have been seeing it almost everywhere. If things change, I may have to go into a semi hoard posture. 

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#21 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 366 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:14 AM

I wonder if Savage is having an effect on Ruger productions with their A17 and A22 semi autos.

#22 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:37 AM

I looked at the 'American' and I don't want to denigrate them. They are less money, they may be a great value, they may be accurate, I don't know.

I wouldn't trade my 77/22 for an American is all I can say. 

Sums it up nicely & in a pleasant tone. I possibly go into denigrate mode a tad soon. I tend to agree on keeping a close eye on the WSM ammo situation...but I have been seeing it almost everywhere. If things change, I may have to go into a semi hoard posture. 

Semi-Hoard is good. I mean if fewer rifles are available, they may slow production of the ammo. And/or it could go up in price.

I guess the burn from the 17MachII is still stinging the manufacturers? But I place most of the blame on them for the timing and the way it was introduced. And the lack of variety of the ammo it's self. The ammo and gun manufacturers make what they want and don't seem to listen to what their customers want.

Again I say, a zippy .20 caliber rim fire with 32grain ballistic tips would be sweeeet.

Protector of the nuts.

#23 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,209 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

Again I say, a zippy .20 caliber rim fire with 32grain ballistic tips would be sweeee

Why did the 5MM fail in the market place? 

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#24 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

Initially it was a Remington failure on a number of levels. I think the rebirth has failed for one because of a lack of any new rifles. Again it may have been bad timing since the 17HMR was already so popular. (This was probably a factor in the initial offering too as it had to compete with the 22Magnum that was also fairly new at the time) People who recently bought an accurate HMR are probably unlikely to go buy another rifle that sort of fills the same niche even though the 5mm is more powerfull. The bad taste left in people's mouths by the original Remington failure may also have lead to the decisions made by gun manufacturers, who knows? The lack of new rifles means someone has to hunt down an old beat up Remington of questionable integrity. Whether the fault of the rifles or the ammo, I never saw any real breathtaking groups fired with the Aguila/Centurion stuff. Perhaps if new rifles had been made and other ammo manufacturers had started producing we would have seen those fantastic groups and with more bullet options.

I held up buying any guns in anticipation and saving my money for like 18 months after CZ announced they would be making a 5mm. It never showed up and eventually they decided not to. Maybe it was a wise decision. I would have bought one though. Just like I'd buy a 17WSM in the right package.

Protector of the nuts.

#25 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,856 posts
  • Local time: 08:26 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:52 AM

I don't have a 17WSM so I don't really qualify to expound on the whole thread but I just feel like ammo availability won't be a problem. I don't think Winchester will stop producing it. After all the round was designed on their powder nailer cartridge. So since CCI doesn't have a hand in loading it I think 17WSM owners will be fine.

On the other hand IF CCI is in fact loading this ammo please let me know so I can stand corrected & be more informed on this round. Thank You!!

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#26 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

You might be right Glen. It just seems like in order to sell ammo, they need to also sell guns to shoot it and vice versa.

I'd like to sit in on, or read the transcripts from a board meeting the gun makers and ammo manufacturers have. I'm sure I could learn a lot no matter how angry it might make me to hear it. It seems like they make something and then tell us 'you want this thing' instead of listening to what we want and then making it happen. But who am I? I'm sure they have the most competent business people & marketing geniuses money can buy.

Protector of the nuts.

#27 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,856 posts
  • Local time: 08:26 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:46 AM

I agree Red. Altho they may have a terrific brain trust that doesn't mean they are good listeners. I think the 17WSM is riding the 17HMR's coattails because it succeeded vs the 5mm which was ahead of it's time & didn't make the long haul. We are partially to blame because we're hung up on speed for the most part. I think gun makers are afraid of another failed 5mm.

I feel like Winchester will keep the ammo rolling out because there are X number of guns already in use. Now if people start hoarding ammo then stop buying it I can see them rethinking their loading desires.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#28 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,209 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:20 AM

Now if people start hoarding ammo then stop buying it I can see them rethinking their loading desires.

Good point Glen. I "kidded" around with the semi hoard posture, but see no purpose. Ammo seems to be plentiful in most places to include online. Did I mention this thing's clocked at 3000 fps  :lol:

#29 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:39 AM

hmmm, yep.  I hope you're right. I'd like to get one at some point. You know when they start making one for the Middle Class :P Something in between a Yugo and a Maserati. 

Protector of the nuts.

#30 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,209 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:59 AM

hmmm, yep.  I hope you're right. I'd like to get one at some point. You know when they start making one for the Middle Class :P Something in between a Yugo and a Maserati. 

What...!! I heard from somewhere about some individual throwing a lot of cash in the wind for a Maserati shotgun shooter  ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 17 WSM