• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts
  • Local time: 11:08 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

First thing I will say about the 260 Remington is I liked it. going for surgery and my brother in law who feels he has to buy every gun rag on the market delivers a good 6 months supply to me while I am laid up.

First one I grab has a good write up on the 260 Remington from its early days as a wild cat a long way back not even called a 260

I had recommend a 260 to this very same Brother in law back in 1998 as a good deer rifle, he got it in a Model 7 Tupper wear and SS.

Sorry to say today I would not recommend it to him since he is not a hand loader and ammo is what IO call GAWD AWFUL  pricy. Any way seems the rag writer felt the 260 Remington although a great round with plenty of Bullets for hand loaders to make it great for varmints to deer size and maybe even an elk was on the way to becoming extinct.

Writers reasoning was ammo cost, for the most part. Almost 26.00for a box of 20 120 gr. compaired to 19.00 for a box of 20 7MM08 139 gr ammo.

:tonguecamo:   Al

#2 dangerranger

dangerranger

Varminter

• 575 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 PM
  • Interests:I enjoy building guns as much as shooting them.

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

I am currently shooting a 6.5x55 swede mauser and am considering building up a 260 Rem when I leave CA. The biggest difference will be that it's built on a modern receiver and I'll feel better about hot rodding it a little. I do reload So the cost of ammo is only a concern till I build up a supply of cases. [ I know I could make my own but I like to have correct headstamps.]  Glad to here you have plenty to read till you are up and hobbling around again. DR

#3 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:46 AM

I can buy 260 head stamp empty's by the hundreds here.

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Varminter

• 575 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 PM
  • Interests:I enjoy building guns as much as shooting them.

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

I can buy 260 head stamp empty's by the hundreds here.

When I get ready Ill hit you up for some! They are almost unheard of here! I have yet to find a 6.5 swede here that I didn't fire myself! DR

#5 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 702 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:05 AM

No need to hit me when your ready LOL.

https://www.midwayus...s-260-Remington

https://www.natchezs...unt-108576.html

https://www.midsouth...s/260-Remington

https://www.precisio...176&q=remington260

So there are a few links shop wisely as prices do very for same product a good bit. But a normal shooter can get many reloads from a good case. speed demons not so much.

:tonguecamo:    Al

#6 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts
  • Local time: 01:08 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

I got a bag of 260 rem unfired to swap for 7x57mm, .222 rem , 300 Blackout, 6.5x55 Swede ,brass. I had the brass for a customer who screwed me over on a reloading deal.
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK