• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sheepdog9051

Sheepdog9051

Varminter

• 15 posts
  • Local time: 02:01 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

This one was yesterday, about 10 yds away and 6 feet up.  Nearly ripped in half.

body1.jpg

Hope to get some crows at longer ranges come July.

Edited by Sheepdog9051, 18 May 2016 - 03:30 PM.

• SniPeralez likes this

#2 Sheepdog9051

Sheepdog9051

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:38 AM

Looks like I might need to get the pic from my phone to the PC and reduce the size.

This one from today was about 20 yards away and 30 feet up.  He was facing me, sitting up eating something.  The back of his skull was blown out and the skin from his head was peeled off.   Needless to say the kill was instant.

head1.jpg

Edited by Sheepdog9051, 18 May 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#3 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 743 posts
  • Local time: 01:01 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

I use Microsoft Paint to reduce the sizes.

Try about 28 percent on the resize option.

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 2,940 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:01 PM

Nearly ripped in half. Hope to get some crows at longer ranges come July.

:crazycamo:  :freakedcamo:

And he used to have this saying, he used to say when things got real lousy.
I mean real lousy. All you had to do was just put out the fire, call in the dogs, an' head it on
Back to Bowlegs. 

#5 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,752 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

Completely vaporized. I can't see it at all!!

When I smile, tell me some bad news

#6 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,907 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:02 AM

:biggrincamo: Yep, plenty lethal! I use my WSM for squirrels, rabbits, and everything else. No more attempting to sneak within .22 range.  No crawl-offs, either.

Completely vaporized. I can't see it at all!!

:winkcamo: Good one, Red!

• Sheepdog9051 likes this

#7 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,439 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:27 PM

Broken squirrel  he he he

Sean

• Old Hickory and jpx2rk like this

#8 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,907 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:29 AM

Broken squirrel  he he he

Sean

:rofl: Yeah on broken!

#9 Sheepdog9051

Sheepdog9051

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

Shot this one the other day.....only about 7 yds away and 3 feet off the ground, sitting up with right side facing me.  I actually thought it went in half when I first saw it on the ground.  It blew it's spine out from the top.  Bottom parts of his rear legs were gone.  Went out this morning but didn't hear or see any.

Got to try out a crow call while I was walking around.  Definitely brought them in. Several crows flew over and landing in tree tops 50 yards and in. Can't wait to grab some decoys and for the season to start in August!

ssq3small.jpg

Edited by Sheepdog9051, 25 May 2016 - 06:51 AM.

• Old Hickory likes this

#10 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,907 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:33 AM

:grincamo:  They look really dead to me! 20gr?

#11 onegreatshot

onegreatshot

Varminter

• 81 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 PM
  • Interests:Hunting anything, fishing were there are fish, Drinking fine wine and Smoking cheap cigars,Had to give up the Cigars. Now I can afford good wine.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

The last squirrel likes to me like you knocked the S@*t out of it.

#12 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,907 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:40 AM

Have you run out of the bucktoothed little varmints, Sheepdog?

#13 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,120 posts
  • Local time: 04:01 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:15 AM

Those squirrels look good enogth to eat, no powdered meat tenderiser needed. 🍖
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#14 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,907 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:20 AM

A while back an elderly widow asked if I would eliminate a pesky gray squirrel that was raiding her bird feeder so I complied yesterday. The offender resided in her back yard about 1 mile south of our city limits. 

The lady's info was rather sketchy and so were her directions to her home but I finally found the place. We spotted the offender run up a tree and into its nest.  :sadcamo: 

Not to be deterred, I had the lady return to her TV and I set up my ambush to no avail. The squirrel wasn't going to budge so I started mouth calling the squirrel and the rascal replied back but wouldn't budge from its nest until I quit calling and the squirrel was curious enough to exit its nest to receive my .20gr .17 WSM bullet. 

The lady was happy because she could fill her bird feeder and I had some meat for the pot.

Of course, that put me far behind my usual Saturday morning hunt 20 miles north of there but I was able to add 3 more to the pot that same morning with 2 more grays and one fox squirrel.

The one big problem I had yesterday was bad ammo, some older 20gr failure to fire rounds.  Many of us suffered very bad ammo for quite a while until Winchester upped their quality. Unfortunately, some stock of the bad ammo is still finding its way into stores.  :angry:  I was having 5 to 6 failures at a time!  :angry:  Of course, this result was seeing squirrels vanishing that should have been in my game bag.

The offending ammo was recently sold at our local WalMart. I am buying some ammo at Dick's today and saving the junk ammo for my range shooting.