Photo

New Q&A VLOG - What Shooting Rest and Shooting Bench Do You Use?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,682 posts
  • Local time: 01:41 AM

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:53 PM

We just published our new Q&A VLOG - What Shooting Rest and Shooting Bench Do You Use?

Click here for the article, with video.

Eric  B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 dangerranger

dangerranger

Varminter

• 575 posts
  • Local time: 11:41 PM
  • Interests:I enjoy building guns as much as shooting them.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

One of my favorite places to shoot has a pasture on the right and a nut orchard on the left.  the area between them is about 30 yards wide and 200 yards long. Its got a nice berm at the end for a backstop. Most of the ground squirrels live in the pasture but eat in the orchard. It has them running back and forth all day. I don't need much swivel but I do need some elevation changes. I made this one for this field! DR

IMG_21931.jpg

#3 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:25 AM

Very nice and very good work!

#4 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts
  • Local time: 02:41 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:53 AM

Here is the portable shooting table I built.  Materials only cost about $30.

IMG_1080_34.jpg

#5 davidbradford

davidbradford

Varminter

• 358 posts
  • Local time: 11:41 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

HI Rudy,

Are there any issues regarding shooting from an ATV when you shoot from this table? Legal issues that is. I have seen that many states regulate shooting from ATV's.

Thanks, Just asking a question as I like your setup. And, I might consider doing something like it.

David

#6 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

David,

That is a very good question.  I use mine to shoot prairie dogs on private property in New Mexico, and I'm usually out in the middle of no-where. 

I'm not sitting on the ATV when I shoot, I just use it to rest the rifle. I never shoot from public roads and the ATV is always off.

In my case, I don't think anyone would really care. But I will be checking with NM Game & Fish to be on the safe side. 

Rudy

• davidbradford likes this

#7 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

David,

I just called New Mexico Game & Fish and spoke with a representative. I was told what I'm doing is ok. In fact, I could sit on the ATV and shoot from it.

As long as I'm not shooting from or across a road, I'm ok.

I recommend checking in the state you hunt to be sure.

Rudy

Edited by Rudy, 05 August 2016 - 12:03 PM.

• davidbradford likes this

#8 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

I attached mine to the rail on my ATV. The rail is a bit flimsy so I remove the table while I'm transporting the ATV down the freeway. I'd hate for the wind to rip it off!

Here are a couple of pictures of the blocks of wood I made. I cut the blocks on my table saw, drilled holes with my drill press so they were close to the edge, then opened them up with my jig saw. I added a steel plate for safety, but I think the ATV rail will rip off before these will break.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I also positioned the plywood so one side hangs out farther to the side. 

Maybe you'll come up with a better way to attach the table.

IMG_1129_20.jpg

#9 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

IMG_1130_20.jpg

#10 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:44 PM

I also rounded off the table edges with my router so it's comfortable to lean against.

The stool came from WalMart, though I did most of my shooting by standing and leaning over the table because it is easier to move around when shooting in various directions.

I finished it off with some exterior latex paint to keep the plywood from falling apart when it gets wet.

If you build one, post a picture so we can get some new ideas.

Rudy

#11 daSmith

daSmith

Varminter

• 53 posts
  • Interests:Fishing with my Wife, Teaching my 4 year old to shoot his Nerf rifle and RED RYDER, New baby girl, Gun Range with my buddies, learning to reload, and hunting if and when i can.

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

I use the Muddy Xtreme shooting bench. I picked it up just before a PD hunt because it was on sale and cheap and i really needed one. Cabelas $130 sale price.

Muddy Xtreme Shooting Bench.png

It worked out really well for me. i was able to pivot and scan the fields with the binoculars while my rifle rested on the Caldwell AR bags.  i didn't use the rifle rest that came with the bench. 

North of Clayton, NM on private land

VarmintAR_MuddyBench_Caldwell AR bags.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, i was zooming in to take a screen shot of a picture that included the old house i was shooting next to

-Savage Mdl 25- 17 Hornady Hornet w/ Burris Veracity             -Custom VarmintAR 223 rem. w/ Leupold VX-2 
-H&R 360 Ultra semiauto 243 w/ Simmons                                 -Benjamin Gen 1 Marauder 22 cal. 6-24x50 BSA
-Ruger 10/22, Camo laminate stock for fathers day.  Tactical Solutions barrel for birthday. Dad's Weaver 4x32. 3/4" group at 50 yards
-Savage 105m 22 S,L,LR "truck gun"

#12 Al the Infidel

Al the Infidel

Varminter

• 54 posts
  • Local time: 08:41 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:15 PM

First sell a bunch of guns to me and then buy a $48K Ram air ride truck for a shooting bench. ))

Here's a friend sighting in an old remmy he picked up at a pawnshop for a pittance.

We use a milk crate for a seat and adjust the height with closed cell seat pads that works well.

DSC00305_zps2bbzrspc.jpg

I fashioned a patio umbrella for the warmer days so we wouldn't stroke out. Everything worked out well on the initial test and the ole boy at 77 shot the best he's shot in a long time off my Lead Sled with his Rem 514 he wanted to dial in for possum and coons when he got back home in lower Mich.. He's a camp neighbor on our fish shacks lake and getting up there. I'm a spring chicken at 69.

P1090405_zpscawogojl.jpg

4wd bench goes almost anywhere and has a radio and AC lounge to cool off and have a cold one of the favorite beverage. Targets and a wind flag out and we're dialing in. He traps the chippies and I whack the red squirrels  nobody likes with the 17WSM or the CZ UL with Quiets. Life is good.

Edited by Al the Infidel, 22 October 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#13 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:28 PM

Great rig, Al!

#14 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts
  • Local time: 03:41 AM

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:22 AM

My buger bench off plans once found on the internet. Also my proto build rifle rest that has worked so well I do not plan on building out of steel any longer.

Fullviewwithbucket.jpg

:tonguecamo:   Al

#15 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 554 posts
  • Local time: 12:41 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

I often put a short stool in the bed of my Ridgeline, and place the bean bags on the roof. Local game officer thought that was great, as it lessened the chances of getting a flea bite. 

The only issue is shooting a really large caliber weapon close to the windshield!