• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 jcampbell1104

jcampbell1104

Varminter

• 5 posts
  • Local time: 05:28 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:58 PM

Im not talking about the screw, im talking about the post the screw goes into on the gun... But I didn't put the escutcheons( or whatever they are called) in the boyds stock. I put them in, and it fits a little better, but im gonna sand on the sides of the action and probably try to bed it.

#32 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts
  • Local time: 06:28 PM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

yeah sorry I blew up. I don't know what the particular action and stock configuration is. If it's a post or pillar, these escutcheons I suppose are to fill the gap fore and aft? I'm trying to imagine what this set up looks like. I think bedding will probably be the real answer to resolve the issue. Are there two action screws or just one? If there's only one, how is the rear of the receiver attached or held in place? Is it a 10-22 like set up?

Merry Christmas!!

Protector of the nuts.

#33 jcampbell1104

jcampbell1104

Varminter

• 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

yeah sorry I blew up. I don't know what the particular action and stock configuration is. If it's a post or pillar, these escutcheons I suppose are to fill the gap fore and aft? I'm trying to imagine what this set up looks like. I think bedding will probably be the real answer to resolve the issue. Are there two action screws or just one? If there's only one, how is the rear of the receiver attached or held in place? Is it a 10-22 like set up?

Merry Christmas!!

There are 2 action screws, one in front and one in back. Far as being like 10/22 setup, I can honestly say ive never had or messed with a 10/22.

#34 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:31 AM

Two screws are better. I'd say try it out now that the escutcheons have been added and if it's unacceptable or the action still moves around in the stock, get some acra-glass and go to work.

Good Luck.

• Old Hickory likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#35 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:18 AM

Yeah on that, Red.

#36 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:18 AM

I wanted to update everyone on the progress I have made with my new SSHB Bmag.  You can see how it shot in the original posts.  That was with a rubber shim under the barrel just in front of the action screw.  I have since glass bed that area which now centers the barrel as well as free floats it.  With a better shooting set up than what I had at this range, I feel I could most certainly close these groups up.  I now need to see how it shoots at 100 yards as this range outing was only 50 yards.  The Buffalo winters keep me from getting out shooting as much as I would like.

Bedding:

Clay dam to confine epoxy

1231151834.jpg

Surgical Tubing under front of barrel to act as a shim while the epoxy sets

1231151923a.jpg

Front view of area bedded

0101160939.jpg

Side View of area bedded

0101160940.jpg

Barrel Free floating after bedding

0101160943.jpg

Gun after bedding was complete

0101160951.jpg

Range Report:

Best group - Winchester 20gr - .220in

Worst Group - American Eagle 20gr - 1.083in

Best Average - Winchester 25gr - .568in

Worst Average - Hornady 20gr - .757in

Before I get criticized on my shooting and/or accuracy of this gun, let me defend myself.  I was using a bench, however its a short bench at a 50 yard indoor range.  Only the bipod legs fit on it, the butt of the gun was supported by my shoulder only.  With the proper lead sled set up, I have ever bit of confidence I could close these groups up.  On top of that, I had a few shots where the lady next to me would slam her gun down on the table and it would bump my shots.  There is however a noticible improvement from my previous range report when I had a rubber shim under the barrel.

Targets are in order from 1st shot to last shot.  Order was top left, counter clockwise, finishing with the 25gr in the middle.

0102161404.jpg

0102161405.jpg

0102161405a.jpg

0102161405b.jpg

0102161405c.jpg

I think it is safe to say that my gun likes the Winchester ammo the best, both 20 and 25 grain with the 25 grain being the most consistent.  I wont actually know until I shoot at 100 yards, but I am ruling out Hornady for 100 yard testing.  I will compare Winchester 20gr, Winchester 25gr, and American Eagle 20gr at 100 yards and report back.  I then went and stocked up on some more ammo :D

0102161741.jpg

What does everyone think?

#37 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

I think it looks good, and am VERY interested to see how it shoots.  With the small group from the Winchester 20 grain at 50 yards, I cannot see it opening up a great deal at 100 yards.  Let's hope you can get out soon to shoot.  If it is super cold, warm up your ammo in the cab of your vehicle, and then your pocket.  I get very inconsistent groups when I shoot very cold ammunition.

Eric  B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#38 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

If it is super cold, warm up your ammo in the cab of your vehicle, and then your pocket.  I get very inconsistent groups when I shoot very cold ammunition.

x2 on that and while I don't have a WSM,  my rimfire ammo seems to be particularly affected by it.

Looks ok and I think if you had a solid rest things would be better. Once you can test at 100 yards under reasonable conditions you will know more.  At that time you can reevaluate and decide if any further bedding of the action might also be wanted. Looking better though.

Protector of the nuts.

#39 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 PM

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

Looking much better. Hope the weather improves and you can get out to 100 yards & a sturdy rest. You have a shooter there srbecker  :biggrincamo:

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#40 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:14 AM

Looking much better. Hope the weather improves and you can get out to 100 yards & a sturdy rest. You have a shooter there srbecker  :biggrincamo:

Yeah on that.

• srbecker likes this

#41 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:07 AM

I went back to your pictures and noticed your barrel is bead blasted, a real plus for hunting.

#42 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

Is that because it is "matte" and doesnt glare?  I am assuming that is what bead blasted means.  If not, please explain.

#43 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:44 AM

Is that because it is "matte" and doesnt glare?  I am assuming that is what bead blasted means.  If not, please explain.

Yes, is to reduce glare.

• srbecker likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: B-mag, glass bed, 17wsm