42 replies to this topic

#16 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:21 AM

Thanks Hickory.  I am excited to see myself! I will be sure to update as soon as I get time to hit the range.

#17 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 05:29 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:46 AM

I do offer one suggestion if you bed your rifle. Use Brownells Acra Glas gel. I use it for all my work and it has never failed. I have used it for many years.  Be sure to follow the instructions to the letter and be sure to use a release agent.

Last week I fixed a badly cracked air rifle stock for one of my pals and I know the fix will hold.

Edited by Old Hickory, 23 December 2015 - 04:46 AM.

#18 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

Based on my results tonight at the 50 yard range, I think my gun likes a clean barrel and likes the 20gr ammunition the most.  I started rushing my shots a bit near the end because I was running out of time at the range, so I am sure I could tighten some of these groups up by eliminated the "flyers" that I am pretty sure was me moving or rushing my shot.

Each square is a 1"x1" square and I had to use my digital calipers without batteries, so for accuracy I measured in mm instead of inches, my apologies.  The 2 groups on the 2nd target seem most impressive and promising to me.

Eric - I did however leave the rubber shim under the barrel, mostly because I was too lazy to take it out as well as I dont like my barrel not being centered.  Next time I get to the range, I will try without the shim and see if there is any difference.

I am curious as to how it will do after a good cleaning and at the 100 yard range.  That might be a better spot to check the 25 grain bullets.  Below are the bullets I shot tonight in order from best to worst in my opinion:

1. Winchester 20gr
2. Hornady 20gr
3. Winchester 25gr
4. American Eagle 20gr

These are all I have been able to find at our local stores.  I think I am going to forget about the american eagles and do some more comparing at a 100 yard range between the top 3...

1223151956.jpg
1223151956a.jpg
1223151956b.jpg
1223151957.jpg

What do you guys think?  Can I improve this more, are these groups acceptable to most at 50 yards?  Any further suggestions?

#19 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:31 AM

I think your shooting is pretty good and would like to see some 100 yard or 100 meter groups.

#20 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts
  • Local time: 07:29 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

What do you guys think?  Can I improve this more, are these groups acceptable to most at 50 yards?  Any further suggestions?    I think you're getting there and keep up the shooting. Yes, it will improve. Move it back to 100 yards and lets analyze from there. Guns can be picky about ammo. My gun likes the American Eagle the best. Both the 20 & 25 grains shoot well. See that hole left by the lady with the pistol. Once you get done accurizing a bit, that's about how your 50 yard groups will look :biggrincamo:  

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#21 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts
  • Local time: 06:29 PM

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

I think the lady with the pistol beats you hands down if that's actually more than a one shot group.

1" groups at 50 yards seems unacceptable to me. That's 1.5" at 150yds before any wind is factored. Looks like it prefers the 20gr stuff. I'd be looking for 1/2" at worst but ragged holes are what I'd expect. Decent .22LR's, 22Magnum, 17HMR, & 17M2's can do it soooo. How long are you waiting between shots? I found that opening the bolt and just waiting 10 or 20 seconds before closing the bolt on a fresh round helps me shoot a little tighter.

I don't know what your point of aim was? For me the smallest reference point that I can use works best. Like the smallest target dot I can get away with or a simple "X"

RSCAR used to say "Aim Small - Miss Small" it works for me.

• MikeNC likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#22 jcampbell1104

jcampbell1104

Varminter

• 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

Not trying to steal the thread, but have you had any issues with your stock not fitting in the gun properly? I bought a boyds classic for my HBSS and it doesnt fit well at all, ive never bedded a stock before and I'm kinda iffy about whether I want to try.

#23 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:55 AM

I found that opening the bolt and just waiting 10 or 20 seconds before closing the bolt on a fresh round helps me shoot a little tighter.

RSCAR used to say "Aim Small - Miss Small" it works for me.

Ditto's...Don't get discouraged srbecker as with some more shots down range and maybe a bit of rifle / scope tweaking your gun will get where Red is talking about....a ragged hole or close to it at 50 yards. Merry Christmas..!!

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#24 jcampbell1104

jcampbell1104

Varminter

• 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:21 AM

http://s1322.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

There is a link to pictures of the gun, do you guys think its not fitting right? On the side of the action, the stock is touching. Also, It kinda seems as if the lug where the front screw goes isnt going far enough in the whole. It makes the gun have like a seesaw effect, if the barrel is seated right on the forend, the back where the safety is has a gap and vice versa. The picture of the forend shows the gap that it has with the screws tightened down.

#25 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:55 AM

That's what a Dremel tool is for. If it's close, you can make it fit. If you don't have a Dremel, it's Christmas and you deserve one.

I've put a bunch of Boyd's stocks on different rifles. Some fit better than others but none were drop in's. They all needed some Dremel work, sanding, grinding, drilling, whatever it takes. The bedding will fix any errors.

as far as the see-saw, you can put a washer on the screw or shorten the screw.

Edited by Red, 25 December 2015 - 07:10 AM.

Protector of the nuts.

#26 jcampbell1104

jcampbell1104

Varminter

• 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:34 AM

When referring to the seesawing, its almost as if the front hole isnt deep enough or the front post is too long, I dont think washers would fix what I'm talking about.

#27 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

cut the friggin screw off. Think outside the box. Why wouldn't a washer between the screw head and the stock work? Two washers if you need them.

• MikeNC likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#28 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

Did you use both of the escutcheons from your plastic stock?  Here is a picture of what they look like:  http://i1275.photobu...7c.jpg~original

Eric  B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#29 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

cut the friggin screw off. 

popcorn.gif 

• Red likes this

#30 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

cut the friggin screw off. 

popcorn.gif

You got sumthin to say? Hmmmm?

:P

Protector of the nuts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: B-mag, glass bed, 17wsm