• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• 19 posts
  • Local time: 11:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:34 AM

I have posted in a few threads a while back as well as have followed the threads in regards to the Savage B-Mags for a long time (since the B-mags first came out).  That being said, I wanted to ask a few questions that pertain to my specific case that after reading all the threads, I feel I still need to ask the question.  I do apologize if they are repetitive.  Thank you all in advance for your assistance. 

First, a brief history.  Back when the B-mag first came out, I loved the idea of the round so much that i jumped into purchasing one right away (skinny barrel version), then dealing with all the problems everyone has read about with inaccuracy, barrel touch the stock on the left side, split casings, failure to ejects and so on.  I purchased a Boyd,s stock for said rifle and even though that seemed to tighten the groups, i was still looking at 5" groups at 100yds.  Completely unacceptable to me.  I proceeded to trade that gun in (with original stock) at Cabela,s and purchased a new HBSS version.  I immediately cleaned it and fitted it to the Boyds stock (a lot of sanding in the barrel channel), only to notice that just like the last rifle, the barrel still seems to favor the left side.  I then remember reading a fix where someone used some rubber shims to ship the barrel just in front of the action in order to "center" and "free float", which really seemed to do the trick.  The barrel is now perfectly centered in the channel of the stock, fully free floating and seemingly ready to shoot.  That leads me to my questions.

1.  Should I consider glass bedding, even prior to shooting first?

a. If so, do I do the JB weld bed, or is there a better way?

2.  Is this rubber shim idea good or bad?

a.  Is this just as good as bedding as long as I am not taking the action out of the stock all the time?

3.  Is it acceptable to fit a skinny barrel Boyds stock to a HBSS version as long as I do the sanding to make it fit (like I did)?

4.  Are there any other upgrades, modifications, or other steps I should take prior to heading out to shoot the new rifle and sight it in?

a. Other than using different ammo.  I do have boxes of Hornady, Winchester, American Eagle. All 20gr.  I want to make sure I get on paper with those, then was thinking a bout comparing these to 25gr rounds as well.

5.  What have people seen better accuracy from, 20gr or 25gr?  So far I see mixed responses on this.

Again, I know it was a long post, but I really do appreciate your help, assistance, opinions, or any other information you can supply me with this rife setup.

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts
  • Local time: 06:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:02 AM

1, Shoot it first.

2.The rubber shim is fine if it shoots well that way. Over time it may compress. You might need a material that is more stable like plastic.

3. Fine

4.?

5.Try them all if you can.

Protector of the nuts.

#3 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts
  • Local time: 07:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

Ditto on what Red said. I would emphasize on #1 & shooting what you have rigged up so far before changing anything. I have found both the 20 and 25 grainers to shoot very well in my gun. POI was a bit different, but very accurate; well under one inch. The only surprise I saw was that the heavier 25 gr POI was a bit higher and a bit to the right I believe. Have fun with that and looking forward to your reports. Would love to see a picture of your rig as well  :nerdcamo:

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#4 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Red and Mike.  I will head down and take some pictures right now for you guys.  I will then try and remember to post a post range report once I get to shoot.  Weather is turning in Buffalo now, so its cold windy and snow is expected soon.  Looks like the indoor 50yd will be where I start until the weather breaks.  I thank you guys for your responses and I will keep you updated as well as post pictures here and on the actual gun sharing post that I remember seeing.

• MikeNC likes this

#5 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

1220151046.jpg

1220151046a.jpg

1220151047.jpg

1220151047a.jpg

#6 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts
  • Local time: 05:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:28 AM

Everything Red said.

Definitely shoot it before anything.  Start with the 20 grain bullets, and shoot a few 3-shot groups.  If you don't end up with any good groups, there are things you can do before moving on to the rubber tube, or bedding.  A couple of easy tweaks are:

1)  Adjust your trigger to be a bit lighter.

2)  Play with the torque of the action screws (tighten/loosen).

3)  Make sure you are using newer ammo.

4)  Break it in while shooting your groups.

5)  If you haven't already, make sure the factory scope mounts are tight on the rifle.

I can understand if you are gun-shy (excuse the pun) about this, after your past experience.  But, the HBSS rifles have had very few issues reported, so the chances are good that this rifle will shoot fine.  #3 on my list above is important.  Try the American Eagle first, then move to the others.

Let us know how yours does!  It looks exactly like mine, which is a good shooter!

Eric  B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#7 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

Thanks Eric. I do already have a rubber shim under the 3 rings on the barrel just in front of the action. I mostly did this to try and center the barrel. Wihthout it, the left side touches the stock. Do you recommend removing it prior to shooting, sand the barrel channel out of the stock more, or leave it in? Why do these barrels always tend to lean to the left like this?

#8 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts
  • Local time: 07:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

I will keep you updated as well as post pictures.

That's a beauty Srbecker..!! And I bet Eric is right & you'll have a real shooter there!

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#9 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

Thanks Eric. I do already have a rubber shim under the 3 rings on the barrel just in front of the action. I mostly did this to try and center the barrel. Wihthout it, the left side touches the stock. Do you recommend removing it prior to shooting, sand the barrel channel out of the stock more, or leave it in? Why do these barrels always tend to lean to the left like this?

I sanded out a bit of wood on the side of the channel, but the barrel touching never really affected the accuracy of my rifle. Boyds has to duplicate a stock blank from Savage in order to create theirs.  If the Savage stock touches, then the Boyds will probably touch.  Let me add, that with the Boyd's stocks, make sure the action is snug. 

However, don't over-think it.  Before doing anything more than checking some of the stuff I said above (#1, #3, #4, #5), just go shoot it to see what happens.

Eric  B)

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#10 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

Will do Eric. Thank you very much for your input. I will post back my range report as soon as i get out.

#11 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

Sorry to be stubborn, but just to clarify, do you suggest taking out that rubber shim that centers the barrel prior to shooting the 1st time?

#12 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

Sorry to be stubborn, but just to clarify, do you suggest taking out that rubber shim that centers the barrel prior to shooting the 1st time?

No problem.  To clarify, unless it is fixing a problem that you are already aware of (ie: the action is loose in the Boyds stock without it), and if it is easily removed, I would remove it.

Did you shoot it with the original Savage stock on it?

LMK!

Eric  B)

#13 srbecker

srbecker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

I have not shot it at all let alone with the original stock. I have my boyds I paid for so figured that would end up on the gun no matter what, so figured I would just start with that.

#14 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

Okay!  Let us know how it does!

Eric  B)

#15 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:40 AM

Sure is a nice looking rifle and we hope to soon see how she shoots.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: B-mag, glass bed, 17wsm