• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jhoss63

Jhoss63

Varminter

• 4 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

Just purchased my my first 17 cal rimfire, a Savage B Mag with the stainless bull barrel and man does this baby shoot! I Scoped it with a 3x9x40 Leupold VX2 and I'm getting dime size groups at 100 yards with the 20 grain Hornadys. I had a 17 Remington center fire a few years ago that was fun to shoot but cost twice as much as the 17 WSM. I'm planning on purchasing a Boyd thumb hole stock to complete my setup. Has anyone compared th 20 grain to the 25 grain and noticed ang big difference in groups or drop?
Bitter American clinging to God and my guns

#2 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,208 posts
  • Local time: 07:17 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:02 AM

Has anyone compared the 20 grain to the 25 grain and noticed any big difference in groups or drop?

Sounds like a great shooter! I have the Ruger WSM and it's a fine shooter as well. My 25 grain test shots were also grouping very nicely and surprisingly were not a bit lower; but just a bit higher and to the right a bit. Very easily corrected with a few clicks on the scope. Look forward to your future shooting and hunting with your WSM.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#3 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 05:17 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

Right on, Jhoss! You have a real shooter there.

My first generation BMAG shoots great.

Our second small game hunting season for it will be in Sept. A lot of tree squirrels were introduced to my rifle last season. There are no out of range tree squirrels. The only squirrels I have to sneak on are due to get  a more clear shot, even though the bullet will punch through some brush and still do its work.

And it works great for the varmints I encounter while squirrel hunting.

#4 Jhoss63

Jhoss63

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 PM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the info I hope to do a little ballistics testing of my own tomorrow morning.
  • MikeNC likes this
Bitter American clinging to God and my guns

#5 onegreatshot

onegreatshot

Varminter

• 81 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 PM
  • Interests:Hunting anything, fishing were there are fish, Drinking fine wine and Smoking cheap cigars,Had to give up the Cigars. Now I can afford good wine.

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

Congrats Jhoss, you've purchased a perfect rifle for varmint shooting. It shoots quite well in all conditions. If you have read in pasts posts on the Savage 17 Cal. WSM, it was going through some growing up stages with problems of accuracy on the target, a very cheap stock that led to the accuracy problems, and very expensive and hard to find ammo.

In my mind I think that some of these problems were fixed by the different posts as to the trouble with the rifle accuracy, the flimsy stock and the ammo availability. I believe our editor had a lot to do with the communication with Savage on these problems which Savage took in ernest and started production on a better rifle.  Then came the Mfg companies of. Hornady and Federal Ammo, who also got into the market and brought ammo down to a good price. Now its fun to shoot a couple of boxes a day or more.

#6 tuck2

tuck2

Varminter

• 189 posts
  • Local time: 05:17 PM
  • Interests:Out door sports ,hunt, fish, camp, reload ammo.

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:49 PM

Should you come out to prairie dog country  ,you have a fine cartridge for spring p dog  pup shooting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 17 WSM, B-Mag