• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jcouto20

jcouto20

Varminter

• 1 posts
  • Local time: 08:57 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:42 PM

Afte reading an NRA ILA email I just got, I noticed the specification of CENTERFIRE ammo.  According to the law in it's "current" or pre- new regs form, the ban was on using lead CENTERFIRE ammo, and therefore did not apply to rimfire ammo. The new law will require lead free for ALL ammo on ALL species, and I get that, but the full extent isn't in effect yet, as they have till 2019. However, this current Phase 1, going into effect July 1, 2015 says "Beginning July 1, 2015, Phase 1 of AB 711 requires the use of ammunition that has been certified as non-lead by the California Department of Fish & Wildlife when taking: (1) Nelson bighorn sheep anywhere within the state; and (2) all wildlife within a wildlife area or an ecological reserve." Neither of which (I would assume) affects rimfire ammo on private land, for coyotes.

So, can I then use leaded ammo in my 17 WSM rimfire rifle for now? Any insight is appreciated, as I don't read legal-eze very well.

Joe

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,671 posts
  • Local time: 09:57 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

Depends on what you are using it for.  If you are outside of the "Condor Zone" and any wildlife area, or ecological reserve, then you can hunt small game and nongame animals (coyote is a nongame animal as of today), with your 17WSM until the full ban goes into effect in 2019.

This quote was taken from here:  Nonlead Ammunition in California

Rimfire firearms are not legal in California for hunting or depredation take of big game animals or wild turkeys. Rimfire firearms are legal for take of nongame and small game animals. Beginning on July 1, 2015, certified nonlead rimfire ammunition will be required to take any wildlife species (game and nongame) on CDFW properties. The statewide requirement for use of nonlead rimfire when taking wildlife will go into effect on July 1, 2019.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Eric  B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#3 shaky

shaky

Varminter

• 19 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:44 AM

I realize this post is a bit old, but still very relevant. Barnes has done an exceptional job with its lead free centerfire ammo... albeit a tad expensive. It has proven to be accurate and flat out deadly. All my centerfire rifles love their offerings. My concern is that many rimfire rifles cannot shoot anything other than lead bullets and big bore airguns require lead bullets. California's push to eliminate lead bullets from hunting statewide is nothing less than another move to eliminate firearms. Jerry Brown and company are ruining your state day by day and their doesn't seem to be a thing that conservative gun owners can do about it other than hunt out of state. My fear is that the insanity will spread north (I live in Washington State). Our liberal government has yet to meet an idea coming out of California it didn't like.

#4 Pecci

Pecci

Varminter

• 354 posts
  • Local time: 10:57 AM
  • Interests:My Faith, My Family, My Friends, My Firearms & My Forecast.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

I realize this post is a bit old, but still very relevant. Barnes has done an exceptional job with its lead free centerfire ammo... albeit a tad expensive. It has proven to be accurate and flat out deadly. All my centerfire rifles love their offerings. My concern is that many rimfire rifles cannot shoot anything other than lead bullets and big bore airguns require lead bullets. California's push to eliminate lead bullets from hunting statewide is nothing less than another move to eliminate firearms. Jerry Brown and company are ruining your state day by day and their doesn't seem to be a thing that conservative gun owners can do about it other than hunt out of state. My fear is that the insanity will spread north (I live in Washington State). Our liberal government has yet to meet an idea coming out of California it didn't like.

And remember that Commifornia sees itself as a leader.  Aren't AZ & NV considering non-lead?  I know that CalGuns has fought and won in the courts in this state.  I haven't been their lately, but you would think they would seize the opportunity, since the latest scientific study showed that birds that ate lead showed no ill effect.  Another thing though.  I'm sure animal rights groups will claim that copper isn't good for birds to consume either.

#5 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,558 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

CA. has sent employees to Oregon to help get the lead free ban going there.

Sean

#6 davidbradford

davidbradford

Varminter

• 358 posts
  • Local time: 07:57 AM

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

As I understand it, the lead ban applies only to firearms. So, air rifle are not covered by the lead ban. Check with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.

#7 DongKong

DongKong

Varminter

• 524 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

Why don't you guys just keep some lead free in the truck and shoot lead?  

#8 DongKong

DongKong

Varminter

• 524 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

Jerry Brown and company are ruining your state day by day and their doesn't seem to be a thing that conservative gun owners can do about it other than hunt out of state. 

I think there's more than a couple work arounds when dealing with idiotic legislation.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lead free, rimfire