• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 reload

reload

Varminter

• 12 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 AM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

I purchased the lightweight bench from Harbor Freight. It works fine for tying flies and wrapping rods. I am not sure about the structural strength for reloading as the legs are held on by three screws each. So I modified it and took the advice of a blogger named Drail, I used 4x4's for the presses and built a right angle off the bench. Once I Figure out how to attach pictures I will send some

Bench1.jpg

Bench2.jpg

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts
  • Local time: 02:02 PM

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:55 PM

Welcome to Varminter!

There is a tutorial on how to attach images here:

http://www.varminter...-image-to-your/

Eric  B)

• reload likes this

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#3 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,298 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

If that doesn't work out, you can always purchase a solid core door at a Home Depot or Lowes (preferably one damaged, so you can get a discount) and cut it to your needed size, and then make some table legs. 

I fastened one to a set of trestle table legs and mounted a Dillon 550B, and have had no issues with it. I DID have to add some shelves the back of the "bench", and then load it down with cast pistol bullets (several boxes of 500ea. in .44 and .45) and it's pretty solid. If you don't load bulk pistol bullets, you could attach it to the wall. They are seriously stable..

Previously, I'd used an old lab table from a high school chemistry lab (yep it had gas jet and sinks, the whole nine yards) that I'd picked up for $25 or so. One heckuva deal, even in those days, but it had too much space and accumulated "stuff" to the point of clutter. It's best to keep it modest in size, so it doesn't take up needed space, and so it doesn't accumulate that "stuff".  :winkcamo:

• reload likes this
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#4 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

Welcome aboard. Glenn I have a severe case of that clutter thing going on.

• reload likes this

-----~  <*(((((><

#5 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:05 AM

Welcome to Varminter, glenn! It sounds like you finally have a solid work bench, very important.  As far as clutter, benches and shops certainly do attract. You have some great talent, doing what you do.

I had a shop built and it filled up so quick I had another built that quickly filled. I have more machinery than I have room to operate due also to certain large size product supplies. :blushcamo:  I buy entire wood burls and root balls that I air dry and then work down to usable sizes, as well as other large size supplies. One of my items, a walnut root ball, weighs 200-300 pounds, as an example. I don't sell it, I use it. I cut the tree down then used a trackhoe to dig the rootball out. I then cleaned and hauled it home. Getting the water soaked green rootball out of my pickup and into the shop was almost a gutbuster.

• reload likes this

#6 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts
  • Local time: 05:02 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

I bought a old school teachers oak desk when a local college was doing some remodeling for $25.00. Thing is heavyyyy to say the least. Two problems I have with it are on the left side is a door that opens so you can pull out a type writer platform and that skinny center drawer is use less once you get presses on it. Both problem can be fixed just pitch that skinny drawer and make some for the left side where that type writer platform is housed. It is also solid enough some cabinets can be built across the back to store things like dies and such.

:rolleyescamo:   Al.

• reload likes this

#7 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

I imagine you need a long bench for wrapping rods, reload. Fly tying can take up some room when you get all you need layed out. We have another member here that wraps rods and a few folks that tie flies.  I used to tie flies, was a real passion for years.

Edited by Old Hickory, 08 March 2015 - 07:29 AM.

• reload likes this

#8 reload

reload

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:06 PM

Thanks! I am really starting to enjoy this location. I have NO idea if I am talking to one and all, sure hope so! Burl Wood. Wow, God made that so we could make beautiful things out of something that looks like a lump

#9 Spud

Spud

Varminter

• 259 posts
  • Interests:Bench rest shooting, reloading, Fly fishing, fly tying and Prairie Dogs Shooting

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

I always have CLUTTER, I can't seam to put anything away until I can't find it
Here is my clutter

Shop.jpg

Spud

Edited by Spud, 08 March 2015 - 03:17 PM.

• reload likes this

#10 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,537 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 PM

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

Welcome to the group. The last bench I built was built with a 4x4 frame and 1.25 inch study floor plywood top and then used mahogany door skin across the top (had 5 skins just getting dusty and chipped). This bench is the width of the garage ( our garage is an 8 car cave) and finally ended up building a room around it. Right now it has seven presses mounted on it. The Dilion 650 is sitting under it right now. As far as strength I have two Hollywood seniors mounted and will soon be loading for the 416 Barrett. Over the years as I have added equipment I've had the space and strength to build additional cubbies for different functions.

I also have a 2x2 bench made from a Harbor Freight stand. Same materials and it has the new RCBS copy of the Hollywood press mounted. This sits in the media room at the house and has to be set up for each specific task. It all depends on the space you have. Depending on budget, function and space the skies the limit and only your imagination and pocket book is a limit. Oh, forgot she who must be obeyed....love ya dear.

Sean 

• reload likes this

#11 reload

reload

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

I always have CLUTTER, I can't seam to put anything away until I can't find it
Here is my clutter

Spud

Looks good to me!

#12 reload

reload

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

Welcome to the group. The last bench I built was built with a 4x4 frame and 1.25 inch study floor plywood top and then used mahogany door skin across the top (had 5 skins just getting dusty and chipped). This bench is the width of the garage ( our garage is an 8 car cave) and finally ended up building a room around it. Right now it has seven presses mounted on it. The Dilion 650 is sitting under it right now. As far as strength I have two Hollywood seniors mounted and will soon be loading for the 416 Barrett. Over the years as I have added equipment I've had the space and strength to build additional cubbies for different functions.

I also have a 2x2 bench made from a Harbor Freight stand. Same materials and it has the new RCBS copy of the Hollywood press mounted. This sits in the media room at the house and has to be set up for each specific task. It all depends on the space you have. Depending on budget, function and space the skies the limit and only your imagination and pocket book is a limit. Oh, forgot she who must be obeyed....love ya dear.

Sean 

Eight Car? BIG garage

#13 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,830 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:53 AM

I built a bench a little over a year ago. I decided to go big so I could use a section to put long guns on it to work on.

2x6 frame with 2x4 legs. 3/4" Oak plywood top that was on sale at Menards. 2 coats of satin poly for protection. Satin poly to reduce glare & still look nice. Had some plywood scraps so I made a shelf for most of the back. Anchored into the wall studs.

IMG_20140119_142940_127_zpsfi731tri.jpg

Right side. Rifle & pistol.

IMG_20140125_150013_149_zpsfmq9jl2b.jpg

Left side. Shotgun

IMG_20140125_145948_808_zpsf2l1k7ln.jpg

Had a few shotgun shells laying around when I moved everything upstairs.

IMG_20140119_143000_147_zpsrj0qks0d.jpg

• reload likes this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#14 reload

reload

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

I built a bench a little over a year ago. I decided to go big so I could use a section to put long guns on it to work on.

2x6 frame with 2x4 legs. 3/4" Oak plywood top that was on sale at Menards. 2 coats of satin poly for protection. Satin poly to reduce glare & still look nice. Had some plywood scraps so I made a shelf for most of the back. Anchored into the wall studs.

IMG_20140119_142940_127_zpsfi731tri.jpg

Right side. Rifle & pistol.

IMG_20140125_150013_149_zpsfmq9jl2b.jpg

Left side. Shotgun

IMG_20140125_145948_808_zpsf2l1k7ln.jpg

Had a few shotgun shells laying around when I moved everything upstairs.

IMG_20140119_143000_147_zpsrj0qks0d.jpg

That came out nice!

#15 reload

reload

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

The next step is to place the entire bench on a platform or hard surface that will be easy to keep clean. Them 4bys get heavy in a hurry

Bradley Thomas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reloading, powder, VLD bullets