Photo

Pulled the trigger on a new 17 WSM yesterday... Question.

savage 17 wsm Scope rings reticle Bmag

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Echo 5 Golf

Echo 5 Golf

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 AM
  • Interests:Family activities, 4x4ing, hiking, photography, learning to surf, history buff, geopolitics, succulents & cactus.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

What are you planning to use the rifle for?

Good question Red. Primarily pdogs at 100-300 yards and any jughead yotes that need some training. I currently don't own a 18x or 20x scope and could use one. So, I'm leaning toward OldHickery's suggestion of a 20x. Decisions decisions...

Here is a pic of mine with a Glades Armory bolt handle.

Nice rig Lead. I contacted Glades. They are currently sold out and it will be weeks before another run. What size scope and rings? They look like Med to High?

Edited by Echo 5 Golf, 01 March 2015 - 02:34 PM.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Thank you to all who have served this great nation. 🇺🇸

#17 leadslinger

leadslinger

Varminter

• 67 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

I went with high for the fact that the bolt handle doesn't have a stop at the top of its rotation. I wanted as much clearance as possible. That is the Redfield Revenge 6-18×44 with varmint reticle.

#18 ruttness

ruttness

Varminter

• 25 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 AM
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fly fishing and fly tying

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

i had a busnell banner on my bmag, i really like the mueller 4.5-14x40 i have on my 17hmr now

#19 Echo 5 Golf

Echo 5 Golf

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Family activities, 4x4ing, hiking, photography, learning to surf, history buff, geopolitics, succulents & cactus.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

That is the Redfield Revenge 6-18×44 with varmint reticle.

How do you love ke your scope magnification and varmint reticle? Guessing it's fine/thin?

#20 leadslinger

leadslinger

Varminter

• 67 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

I love it. Zoom it up to 18 for more precise bulls eye shooting and zoom out a bit for the small critters you encounter along the way. I got a good deal when midway had them for $199. I would def recommend, especially if you can find one for low $200's. And reticle is plenty fine for the 17 wsm as shots really won't be past 300 yards.

You may also want to look into the BSA 17 super mag series. It came out right after I purchased my redfield or I may have very well picked one of those up.

Edited by leadslinger, 02 March 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#21 Echo 5 Golf

Echo 5 Golf

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Lead. Appreciate your input. This is why I enjoy this sight. Good practical advice. Unless I'm giving it. Then it's suspect.

#22 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,209 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

This is why I enjoy this sight. Good practical advice. Unless I'm giving it. Then it's suspect.

:lol:  :lol:

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#23 leadslinger

leadslinger

Varminter

• 67 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

This is why I enjoy this sight. Good practical advice. Unless I'm giving it. Then it's suspect.

Haha be weary, as Iv been told mine is best taken with a grain of salt.

#24 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

:rofl: Some may need more than one grain of salt when taking our advice. At least it's free advice and better than some expensive advice.

#25 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,565 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

Interesting discovery. Someone suggested higher powered scopes would help me tighten my groups. Tried it and it did. Went from 4x12 to 6x18 and saw a marked improvement. Didn't know my eyesight had changed so much.

Sean

#26 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

Yep, that eyesight thing slips right up on us. I didn't realize how much I needed new glasses until I could not focus on the front iron sight on one of my hunting rifles. And yes, my shooting accuracy was suffering. I was fortunate I received my new specks before our twice per year weapons/range qualifications at work. My scores were better than the last year's qualifications, also.

I have a 8X-32X 44mm with target turrents I may slip onto my BMAG to see what it will do or improve. The present 6.5X-20X is OK. I have a 6X-24X on my HMR that does a fine job as for tree squirrel hunting.

Considering the effective range of the .17 WSM, I don't think the 8X-32X is too extreme.

Funny story about getting the Tasco 8x-32x scope. A young fella at work and I do a lot of "horse trading" and he had the scope for sale for the huge sum of $40.00. The original finish on the scope was a black rubber coating. Someone put some chemical on the scope and it converted the coating to a tough thick black goo.  He finally sold the scope for the modest sum of 20 buckeroos to me after some serious dickering,  just to be rid of it. He finally conceded old Indians are much more skilled at the game when later that day, he saw the scope after the clean-up.   :biggrincamo:   I reminded him this old Indian is not just fresh off the Reservation.  -_-  I labored an hour using some alcohol hand sanitizer and discovered a nice new looking blued scope after removing the goo.

I cannot afford high priced scopes. Tasco, Simmons, Weaver, BSA, and Bushnell have fullfilled my needs just fine and have always held up.

Edited by Old Hickory, 07 March 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#27 Echo 5 Golf

Echo 5 Golf

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

I labored an hour using some alcohol hand sanitizer and discovered a nice new looking blued scope after removing the goo.

Classic. I love horse trading. :) $20 bucks and an hour or rubbing. Not to shabby Old Hickory. How is the condition of the glass?

#28 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:50 PM

Glass is actually pretty good for a cheaper scope, thank you. I know the advantages of better scopes, especially when a lot of scope time is involved. But my type of hunting (tree squirrels) doesn't demand much long time scope viewing nor a whole lot of long range shots. 100 meters shots and beyond at squirrel heads are not difficult.  

Edited by Old Hickory, 07 March 2015 - 10:51 PM.

#29 Echo 5 Golf

Echo 5 Golf

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I went for the BMag vs the Ruger. My intended use. I just couldnt drop $1k on a Pdog gun. So, the need for another grand in glass was also tough for me to chew. I'm sure this tree squirrels are checking to see what glass you have when taking out their cousins. Plus, that added magnification sure helps im sure. That's if your ever in the charitable donating mood. :)

#30 dangerranger

dangerranger

Varminter

• 567 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy building guns as much as shooting them.

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

I shoot mainly ground squirrels, mostly at 10 to 200 yds. 6 x 18 and 6 x 24 are my favorites. Since I mostly shoot from a bench or off sticks the higher magnification is not so difficult. And 6 x is not too much for an off hand shot at an occasional coyote!

At 300 yds my hit ratio goes way down! I have hit a few but it usually takes a couple shots and a good spotter to do it. On a bigger animal it would be easier. Since ground squirrel shooting is mostly a bright daylight sport light transmission is not as critical as for a big game scope where your most productive times are first and last light.

My squirrel guns are mostly wearing BSA and Simmons scopes. I have had good luck with them for what they are used for. I have one Mueler APV that I really like. The tracking on it is much more true. When you are moving more than 50 clicks up and down to get that 300 yard squirrel it must track straight up!

My son just bought a couple of Vortex Crossfire II scopes. The glass on them seems very good! I haven't been out with them yet but for about $200 if they track well I may give one a try. He and my grandson want to try a long distance 22LR match.

Good luck DR

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: savage, 17 wsm, Scope rings reticle, Bmag