15 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,653 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 AM

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

I just picked up a box of the Hornady .223 - 35 grain NTX (lead free) ammo, which they list at 4000 FPS!  If it groups well in my AR15, I will be taking some of it up to NE California next month to see what it does on ground squirrels!  I've already tried (and killed a coyote and numerous ground squirrels) the Winchester 35 grain LF and the Nosler 40 grain LF, so this will be one more to add to the mix.

I'll be putting this through a chronograph to see how close it comes to the 4k number.

Hornady-35-grain-NTX-223-ammo.jpg

Has anyone shot this yet?

Eric  B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,719 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

That should tear up a squirrel for sure.

• Eric Mayer likes this

-----~  <*(((((><

#3 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,826 posts
  • Local time: 10:36 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:17 AM

I looked long & hard at that ammo in 222 before deciding against it. Not that it won't anchor groundhogs or coyotes at those velocities,, but more from the velocity loss from 200-250yds. If I had ground squirrels & p-dogs to shoot I would definitely try this stuff. Looks like some shredders for sure!!

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,079 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 AM

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

interesting. I'd bet the 4000fps was measured from a 26" barrel and the AR will not quite get there. I await your report but still interesting either way.

Protector of the nuts.

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:02 AM

Most of the companies go with a 24" barrel, so if we estimate 50fps per inch, it should still be up there with the 22" barrel on my AR.  I should have something by early next week.

Eric  B)

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#6 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,079 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

Great.

I don't recall ever chronographing my 20" AR? I did shoot the same load thru it as my 24" bolt action Savage. I saw a slight reduction in pd carnage and range with the AR as opposed to the bolt gun. At least that was my perception.

But I agree the velocity loss should not be too great.

Protector of the nuts.

#7 daSmith

daSmith

Varminter

• 53 posts
  • Interests:Fishing with my Wife, Teaching my 4 year old to shoot his Nerf rifle and RED RYDER, New baby girl, Gun Range with my buddies, learning to reload, and hunting if and when i can.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:30 AM

Is there a barrel twist suggestion for the 35NTX? I have a 20" 1:8 match grade Shilen on my AR.
-Savage Mdl 25- 17 Hornady Hornet w/ Burris Veracity             -Custom VarmintAR 223 rem. w/ Leupold VX-2 
-H&R 360 Ultra semiauto 243 w/ Simmons                                 -Benjamin Gen 1 Marauder 22 cal. 6-24x50 BSA
-Ruger 10/22, Camo laminate stock for fathers day.  Tactical Solutions barrel for birthday. Dad's Weaver 4x32. 3/4" group at 50 yards
-Savage 105m 22 S,L,LR "truck gun"

#8 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

There is not one listed, but my 1:9" twist .223 shoots them well.  The 1:8" might be a bit fast, but it can't hurt to try!

Btw, out of my Remington R15, I was getting much less than listed, but I will doing more testing over the next week.

Eric  B)

• daSmith likes this

#9 bremereric

bremereric

Varminter

• 248 posts
  • Interests:Shooting guns, handguns and rifles.

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

There will be nothing left of those squirrels.
2 Each Savage A17 Semi-Auto 17 HMR owner.
Savage B-Mag Flimsy barrel owner.
Savage B-Mag Stainless Steel barrel owner.
Savage 93R17 17 HMR owner.
Ruger All American Compact 17 HMR owner.
Ruger All Weather .204 Ruger owner.
Ithaca Model 72 Saddle Gun owner.
Winchester Model 77 22 LR
S&W M&P 15-22 owner with Black Bear 50 round drums.

#10 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:31 AM

That's our mission.  Quick death, and food for the eagles, hawks, etc.  These are not edible squirrels, except to predators and each other (they eat their own).

Eric  B)

#11 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,528 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

That's our mission.  Quick death, and food for the eagles, hawks, etc.  These are not edible squirrels, except to predators and each other (they eat their own).

Eric  B)

My Grandfather taught me to shoot and hunt. One rule...if ya shot it ya had to eat it! Boy Woodpeckers taste like crap and that's an understatement. Also tried Owl, ground squirrel and mud hen. It all brings back great memories of a man I loved as much as life.

Sean

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,079 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

Hodgdon's data shows the 35gr slightly less than 4000fps with a 24" 1-12 twist but it's still cooking right along. I would not be surprised if it could reach 4000 since it's so similar to the 204 cart that can easily exceed 4000 with a 32gr bullet.

Their data shows the 24gr .204 at a sizzling 4400fps +or-

Protector of the nuts.

#13 daSmith

daSmith

Varminter

• 53 posts
  • Interests:Fishing with my Wife, Teaching my 4 year old to shoot his Nerf rifle and RED RYDER, New baby girl, Gun Range with my buddies, learning to reload, and hunting if and when i can.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:36 PM

Any update on this ammo.  I think i saw some at cabelas a while back but i must have hesitated cause i didn't get any...yet!

-Savage Mdl 25- 17 Hornady Hornet w/ Burris Veracity             -Custom VarmintAR 223 rem. w/ Leupold VX-2 
-H&R 360 Ultra semiauto 243 w/ Simmons                                 -Benjamin Gen 1 Marauder 22 cal. 6-24x50 BSA
-Ruger 10/22, Camo laminate stock for fathers day.  Tactical Solutions barrel for birthday. Dad's Weaver 4x32. 3/4" group at 50 yards
-Savage 105m 22 S,L,LR "truck gun"

#14 aczraad

aczraad

Varminter

• 40 posts
  • Local time: 04:36 AM

Posted 04 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

Eric, sorry to bring up an old topic, but how did they do? I just bought a box of 100 pills I want to load, but can't find data. I bought them on a whim and may try to return them if I can't get reliable data. Loading for 223, lead free to take to modoc county in a few months

#15 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

They worked out very well.  Here is the breakdown of the lead-free ammo I tested and the ultimate results on a coyote.  I was never able to get good chronograph results, but I still have some rounds in my safe, so I might test them in my new LabRadar.

http://www.varminter...23-coyote-hunt/