• Admin
  • 4,655 posts
  • Local time: 05:23 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

Franklin-Armory-F17-V4-1.jpg

$1499.00 MSRP! - Eric

------

Highly Sought After Forged F17-V4™ Now Available to Ship Nationwide

Quality firearm manufacturer, Franklin Armory™ launches production of a new forged version of the highly sought after gas piston semiautomatic rimfire, the F17-V4™ chambered in .17 Winchester Super Magnum!

MORGAN HILL, Calif., November 3, 2014 — Franklin Armory™, maker of quality MSR firearms, is pleased to announce the launch of the forged F17-V4™ chambered in .17 Winchester Super Magnum.

“The new F17-V4 features all of the same proven characteristics that has made the F17-L one of the most reliable and accurate rimfire MSR (Modern Sporting Rifle) configurations on the market today,” said Jay Jacobson, Franklin Armory President. “Like all of our other quality firearms, we have incorporated the same attention to detail to provide a high-quality and reliable platform that I am sure all of our customers will truly appreciate.”

Compared to the 5.56 NATO cartridge, the .17 WSM obtains similar velocities with long range accuracy that most varmint hunting and target shooting enthusiasts desire. The gas piston system, developed in partnership with Osprey Defense, adds increased reliability and decreases cleaning requirements. Because the .17 WSM is a rimfire cartridge, it is not classified as an “Assault Rifle” in most states. In California, the F17-L™ is distributed with a standard magazine release button!

The Franklin Armory™ F17-V4™ platform is based on a traditional modern sporting rifle with a few key distinctions. The rifle’s buffer was custom made to match the lighter recoil and shorter stroke length of the .17 WSM. The patent pending bolt carrier group is based on the original Eugen Stoner design of a rotating locking bolt, but is cut differently to facilitate the custom sized magazine feed lips and the pistol length gas piston system. The carrier is also notched to have a fully functional forward assist. The Free float, tripod mountable handguard has provisions for installing a bipod stud and Magpul M-LOK accessories.

Specifications:
• 20” Heavy Full Contour with 11 Degree Target Crown and Recessed Muzzle, 1/9 Inch Twist, Salt Bath Nitride Chamber, Bore, & Finish, and Chambered in .17 WSM
• Fully Functioning Forward Assist
• Patent Pending Custom Designed 17 WSM Bolt Carrier Group
• Custom Osprey Defense Gas Piston System
• Franklin Armory™ Custom Tuned Trigger
• TML-12™ Handguard
• Custom .17 WSM 10 Round Magazine
• MSRP $1,499.99

Every firearm produced at our facility in Morgan Hill, California is created using 100% American made parts & materials! To learn more about the F17-L™ or to locate a Franklin Armory™ dealer, please visit www.franklinarmory.com.

Franklin-Armory-F17-V4-Specs-1.jpg

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 Al the Infidel

Al the Infidel

Varminter

• 53 posts
  • Local time: 11:23 PM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:42 PM

Eric, whats your thoughts of the 1/9 vs 1/8 twist? 

#3 tuck2

tuck2

Varminter

• 189 posts
  • Interests:Out door sports ,hunt, fish, camp, reload ammo.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:45 AM

Is this another spray and pray semi auto rifle or is it a rifle that shoots sub one inch five shot groups at 100 yards ??

#4 Spiderman

Spiderman

Varminter

• 36 posts
  • Local time: 06:23 PM
  • Interests:Hunt , fish , trap ,daytime coon calling, wood working, rock gardens.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:02 AM

Why does it need to be so heavy???   Bmag 4.5 lbs......AR 9 lbs. 

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

Every .17 caliber rifle I own (other than my heavy barrel B.MAG) is a 1/9.  I was shocked when I confirmed that Savage was switching to the 1:8, because I don't really see why they think it is a better option.  That being said, none of my other .17 rifles shoot a bullet as slow as the 17WSM, so possibly they needed a bit faster twist to stabilize the bullet better, while finding a sweet spot for both the 20 grain and 25 grain bullets.  The confusing part is that the Franklin shoots very well with the 1:9.

Is this another spray and pray semi auto rifle or is it a rifle that shoots sub one inch five shot groups at 100 yards ??

You've got to hit the front page more ;)http://www.varminter...nd-hunt-report/

Why does it need to be so heavy???   Bmag 4.5 lbs......AR 9 lbs. 

Because it's an AR15.  There are a lot more internals than just a bolt-action.  I think the Volquartsen will be in the same range, if not heavier.

Eric  B)

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#6 Al the Infidel

Al the Infidel

Varminter

• 53 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:38 AM

Every .17 caliber rifle I own (other than my heavy barrel B.MAG) is a 1/9.  I was shocked when I confirmed that Savage was switching to the 1:8, because I don't really see why they think it is a better option.  That being said, none of my other .17 rifles shoot a bullet as slow as the 17WSM, so possibly they needed a bit faster twist to stabilize the bullet better, while finding a sweet spot for both the 20 grain and 25 grain bullets.  The confusing part is that the Franklin shoots very well with the 1:9.

Eric  B)

Good to know I'm not alone in a confucious state of mind.  [ :rolleyes:]  I thought perhaps  to tighten up the 25 grn. but it already appears if a gun would shoot, it would shoot both weights well.

A week's worth of trail cam pix revealed many ravens feasting, a fat bear and a young wolf. I've moved it and rebaited for song dogs last night. Round Two!

#7 bremereric

bremereric

Varminter

• 248 posts
  • Interests:Shooting guns, handguns and rifles.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

Besides the price difference what is the main difference between this offering and the higher dollar model that you used?
2 Each Savage A17 Semi-Auto 17 HMR owner.
Savage B-Mag Flimsy barrel owner.
Savage B-Mag Stainless Steel barrel owner.
Savage 93R17 17 HMR owner.
Ruger All American Compact 17 HMR owner.
Ruger All Weather .204 Ruger owner.
Ithaca Model 72 Saddle Gun owner.
Winchester Model 77 22 LR
S&W M&P 15-22 owner with Black Bear 50 round drums.

#8 tuck2

tuck2

Varminter

• 189 posts
  • Interests:Out door sports ,hunt, fish, camp, reload ammo.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:42 AM

Should CZ or Ruger not come out with a accurate bolt action varmint  17 WSM  rifle by next spring I ll put a F 17- V 4 on my get list. That is if I read  about other 17 WSM F 17- V4  rifles  that are as accurate as the one tested in the prairie dog town. When I miss a shot at a prairie dog I wont to know that it was me , not the rifle ,scope, or ammo.

#9 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:23 AM

Here's another review on the F17-L, with no hunting, but it shows more info on accuracy:

http://www.thetrutha...y-f17-l-17-wsm/

Eric  B)

#10 KShap

KShap

Varminter

• 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

Besides the price difference what is the main difference between this offering and the higher dollar model that you used?

The difference between the two rifles are the forged upper and lower receivers, pistol grip, and stock.  Otherwise, it is the same platform as the F17-L.

Should CZ or Ruger not come out with a accurate bolt action varmint  17 WSM  rifle by next spring I ll put a F 17- V 4 on my get list. That is if I read  about other 17 WSM F 17- V4  rifles  that are as accurate as the one tested in the prairie dog town. When I miss a shot at a prairie dog I wont to know that it was me , not the rifle ,scope, or ammo.

Hey Tuck2,  mechanically it is the same rifle as the one tested (barrel, BCG, piston system, and trigger).  The only difference is the receivers, grip, and stock the bring the price down.  

#11 bremereric

bremereric

Varminter

• 248 posts
  • Interests:Shooting guns, handguns and rifles.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:11 AM

I am saving up for one.
2 Each Savage A17 Semi-Auto 17 HMR owner.
Savage B-Mag Flimsy barrel owner.
Savage B-Mag Stainless Steel barrel owner.
Savage 93R17 17 HMR owner.
Ruger All American Compact 17 HMR owner.
Ruger All Weather .204 Ruger owner.
Ithaca Model 72 Saddle Gun owner.
Winchester Model 77 22 LR
S&W M&P 15-22 owner with Black Bear 50 round drums.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Franklin Armory F17-V4, 17WSM