6mm-06

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 charlie2t

charlie2t

Varminter

• 28 posts
  • Local time: 04:29 AM
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, Long Range Rifle shooting, Police Pistol Competition, Hunting in general, reloading, fishing and just about anything related to the shooting sports.

Posted 21 September 2003 - 03:49 PM

Has anyone had any experience with a 6mm-06? I am thinking about rebarreling a Remington 700 action and think it would do a good job on long range prairie dogs. The ballistics are impressive and brass to form for it is plentiful, but I wonder what problems I might encounter with this wildcat round.

#2 Tusero

Tusero

Varminter

• 188 posts
  • Interests:Varmint shooting, mostly prairie dogs. Waterfowl hunting. Competition duck calling. Duck Call Maker. Ducks Unlimited Volunteer.<br><br>All shotgun sports

Posted 21 September 2003 - 07:35 PM

Seems like it ought to be overkill to me, but if you got the bucks, then you're the man!

I was going to do a 6 MM down to .224, uses the same load data as a .220 Swift, but it seemed like a big hassle after I thought about it for a while. Now I have a .221 Fireball rifle coming end of the month. Seems like that ought to be cheap to shoot, will go 3200 fps, and I can buy dies off the shelf.

Of course I limit most of my shooting to prairie dogs. I suppose a 6 MM/06 will kill them too, but seems like it will have some recoil. I like to shhot low recoil and see the hits. tough to do it with recoil and a 24 power scope. the recoil, however littel will bounce yopu out of the field of view.

If you do it, be sure and give us a report on it. :o

#3 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts
  • Local time: 07:29 AM

Posted 21 September 2003 - 09:38 PM

hello, I also done alot of research on doing a .22 middlestead but went against it as it didn't have a worthwile improvement over a swift.

here's a nice site you might like to peruse . . .

http://www.accurater...com/reload.html

flatlander

#4 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts
  • Local time: 05:29 AM

Posted 21 September 2003 - 10:40 PM

I think you'd find more pleasure in a 6mm Remington or a 243. The large case capacity of the 6mm/06 will probably run into pressure problems before you find any appreciable velocity increase. I think to say that it's overkill is an Understatement! Balancing the cost in reamer and dies, and not to mention forming brass...it ain't a simple neck-down job: expect neck turning... I'd opt for a factory 6mm configuration with perhaps an adjustment in rifling twist to handle the lighter bullets. I have built several 6.5-06's for big game usage (140 to 160 grain bullets) and have been quite impressed with the performance. This wasn't varmint hunting though. I wanted and needed the long bullets with good sectional density. These days I have a hard time considering a varmint rig tossing a bullet bigger than .224, with a case larger than a 22-250. Just no need for it. My 2-cents worth...~AMMOe

#5 nirvana91

nirvana91

Varminter

• 82 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 11:04 AM

if you have a tc encore you can now buy the 6/06 from fox ridge any way or finish you want. but i wonder how it compares to the 240 weatherby?

#6 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 22 September 2003 - 02:01 PM

It's known as the .243/06 down under and has the same comparible balistics as the .240 Weatherby without the pain of haveing a band on the case.

#7 foxhunter

foxhunter

Varminter

• 380 posts
  • Local time: 05:29 AM

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:58 PM

had one once some 20 years ago, a real barrel burner just like the 240 weatherby. it's your money do what you want . the gun was accurate and fast for about 700 rounds.

#8 charlie2t

charlie2t

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, Long Range Rifle shooting, Police Pistol Competition, Hunting in general, reloading, fishing and just about anything related to the shooting sports.

Posted 23 September 2003 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the input. I still have not made up my mind on what I want to build this fall. I have a couple of Swifts and several .223s and just want something different to play with. I can't imagine anything with a 700 round barrel life Flatlander, but since you had one, I can't argue with experience. Maybe I will look at some other options. Also appreciate the website reference. That is a good one.

#9 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 05:41 PM

That was foxhunter's toy, I was only in 3rd grade at that time ;)

Ever check out info on the Lazeroni Scramjet? What's the capacity/bore ratio in comparison to the 6mm-06? The brass is kinda $$ but then, ya only live once :ph34r:

flatlander

#10 ledz

ledz

Varminter

• 109 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 03:24 AM

aside from the fact that the 6.53 Scramjet is a quarter bore cartridge and not 6 mm, i would have to believe it to be similar..... but that's really a nit picky detail at that point.

i think 6/06 is kind of a retarded idea; what are you really getting? you can get .244 bullets (basically) in 55/70/85/87/90/95/100... so if you drop down to the .25-06, it certainly encompasses all of those (sans 55 gr. want that? get yourself a .22-250 :ph34r: ) within a factory standardized cartridge....

then there's the alternative, the 6.5/06 where you're getting better ballistics all around with 120/140 gr bullets... longer bullets, better all around...

i think it's really about diminishing returns...

(not poopin' in anyone's corn flakes that favors such a cartridge, just interjecting my own $.02)

ledz

(2 days until i get to .444-ville :) ;) )

#11 Cava3r4

Cava3r4

Varminter

• 69 posts
  • Local time: 06:29 AM
  • Interests:NRA (and CMP) Highpower. 300 Meter international match.<br />Bowling pins (with stock .45 ACP) Prairie Dog Shooting.<br />Muscle Cars (I have a restored a 69 Charger S/E). Making homebrew beer.

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:08 AM

I have a 25-06 that I used for praire dogging. I shot out the barrel.
I would think a 6mm on the 06 case would really burn up barrels fast.
by the way, average life on a barrel in .243 for me is only about 1200 rounds and then the groups open up from .5 up to 1.0 inch. At 2000 rounds I had the barrel set back and it was still junk. I got rid of the rifle and bought a new .243.
I am thinking of trying the 6mm/22-.250 round. Precision shooting says it is the cats meow and has a pretty fair barrel life.
HTH
Bob

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,044 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 12:05 PM

Kinda all comes back to the same thing I guess. What is the real benefit in a wildcat? I looked at the 6mm/284 and it's impressive but not enough gain over common chambers to make it a worth while venture. Pretty much 25/06 ballistics in a short chamber. Never the less, it's a hobby and who says it has make sense.

#13 RSCAR

RSCAR

Sniper

• 3,185 posts
  • Interests:All things firearms, Offshore ocean fishing, making my wife happy and enjoying my life, annoying people

Posted 24 November 2003 - 01:15 PM

I guess I agree Red, but there's a young man at my club with a 6.5/.284 and at 600yds its like shooting fish in a barrel..accurate..fast/flat..wind cheater... spectacular!! New bbl @ 1500rds [ every rose has its thorns ] Theres a gun show in a month [X-Mas show ] I want to get something....22-250...6mmRem....260Rem. I'll make a post and ask every one's advice as to how to go about putting a semi-custom together but for now what does any one think about calibre... I like to shoot to 600yds without a lot of recoil, and a higher BC bullet that I now shoot in .308.. :blink: RSCAR

Edited by RSCAR, 24 November 2003 - 01:19 PM.

#14 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 03:05 PM

1200 rounds from a 243 isn't very damn many. You got to be shooting long strings. My cousin got a mod-70 .243 and it's eaten an estimated 2500 as a general use gun over the last 20 years and it's still tight. 243 is very popular in our familly.

OOOooooo BBOOooyyy . . . Now the Rscar's is thinking of wildcatting!?!

well . . . a 243 AI is a pretty cool round and will be the custom I have made after my ruger #1 in .17AB. Otherwise the Lazeroni Scramjet offers factory brass (kinda pricey, but hey, you'll save on forming dies and whatnot :blink: ). Make the gun heavy or brake it. With those rounds (243AI/scramjet/etc.) I'd leave it to 3-shot groups at the range and save it for the bean fields and the prarie. If i ever marry money . . . I'd like to build a BAR with a 28" s.s., Lilja, 3-groove in scramjet, a fitted cheek piece and other stuff. holy CRAP that'd look nice over the fireplace!!

If you don't mind a braked gun then you can use just about whatever factory caliber you want with it twst'd to whatever bean you want to throw. Those Ackley Improved calibers are a pretty easy thing to get into though . . .

#15 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 24 November 2003 - 07:25 PM

Some of Ackly iimproved cartridges are not woth the time or expense to gain a mare 100 fps. If it was 300 fps gain, then its probably woth thinking about.