6mm-06

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 charlie2t

charlie2t

Varminter

• 28 posts
  • Local time: 07:03 PM
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, Long Range Rifle shooting, Police Pistol Competition, Hunting in general, reloading, fishing and just about anything related to the shooting sports.

Posted 21 September 2003 - 03:49 PM

Has anyone had any experience with a 6mm-06? I am thinking about rebarreling a Remington 700 action and think it would do a good job on long range prairie dogs. The ballistics are impressive and brass to form for it is plentiful, but I wonder what problems I might encounter with this wildcat round.

#2 Tusero

Tusero

Varminter

• 188 posts
  • Interests:Varmint shooting, mostly prairie dogs. Waterfowl hunting. Competition duck calling. Duck Call Maker. Ducks Unlimited Volunteer.<br><br>All shotgun sports

Posted 21 September 2003 - 07:35 PM

Seems like it ought to be overkill to me, but if you got the bucks, then you're the man!

I was going to do a 6 MM down to .224, uses the same load data as a .220 Swift, but it seemed like a big hassle after I thought about it for a while. Now I have a .221 Fireball rifle coming end of the month. Seems like that ought to be cheap to shoot, will go 3200 fps, and I can buy dies off the shelf.

Of course I limit most of my shooting to prairie dogs. I suppose a 6 MM/06 will kill them too, but seems like it will have some recoil. I like to shhot low recoil and see the hits. tough to do it with recoil and a 24 power scope. the recoil, however littel will bounce yopu out of the field of view.

If you do it, be sure and give us a report on it. :o

#3 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts
  • Local time: 10:03 PM

Posted 21 September 2003 - 09:38 PM

hello, I also done alot of research on doing a .22 middlestead but went against it as it didn't have a worthwile improvement over a swift.

here's a nice site you might like to peruse . . .

http://www.accurater...com/reload.html

flatlander
Lead me not into temptation, but point me to it instead.

#4 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,887 posts
  • Local time: 08:03 PM

Posted 21 September 2003 - 10:40 PM

I think you'd find more pleasure in a 6mm Remington or a 243. The large case capacity of the 6mm/06 will probably run into pressure problems before you find any appreciable velocity increase. I think to say that it's overkill is an Understatement! Balancing the cost in reamer and dies, and not to mention forming brass...it ain't a simple neck-down job: expect neck turning... I'd opt for a factory 6mm configuration with perhaps an adjustment in rifling twist to handle the lighter bullets. I have built several 6.5-06's for big game usage (140 to 160 grain bullets) and have been quite impressed with the performance. This wasn't varmint hunting though. I wanted and needed the long bullets with good sectional density. These days I have a hard time considering a varmint rig tossing a bullet bigger than .224, with a case larger than a 22-250. Just no need for it. My 2-cents worth...~AMMOe

#5 nirvana91

nirvana91

Varminter

• 82 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 11:04 AM

if you have a tc encore you can now buy the 6/06 from fox ridge any way or finish you want. but i wonder how it compares to the 240 weatherby?

#6 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 02:03 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 22 September 2003 - 02:01 PM

It's known as the .243/06 down under and has the same comparible balistics as the .240 Weatherby without the pain of haveing a band on the case.
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It’s somebody who doesn’t believe there’s a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#7 foxhunter

foxhunter

Varminter

• 380 posts
  • Local time: 08:03 PM

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:58 PM

had one once some 20 years ago, a real barrel burner just like the 240 weatherby. it's your money do what you want . the gun was accurate and fast for about 700 rounds.

#8 charlie2t

charlie2t

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, Long Range Rifle shooting, Police Pistol Competition, Hunting in general, reloading, fishing and just about anything related to the shooting sports.

Posted 23 September 2003 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the input. I still have not made up my mind on what I want to build this fall. I have a couple of Swifts and several .223s and just want something different to play with. I can't imagine anything with a 700 round barrel life Flatlander, but since you had one, I can't argue with experience. Maybe I will look at some other options. Also appreciate the website reference. That is a good one.

#9 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 05:41 PM

That was foxhunter's toy, I was only in 3rd grade at that time ;)

Ever check out info on the Lazeroni Scramjet? What's the capacity/bore ratio in comparison to the 6mm-06? The brass is kinda $$ but then, ya only live once :ph34r:

flatlander

#10 ledz

ledz

Varminter

• 109 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 03:24 AM

aside from the fact that the 6.53 Scramjet is a quarter bore cartridge and not 6 mm, i would have to believe it to be similar..... but that's really a nit picky detail at that point.

i think 6/06 is kind of a retarded idea; what are you really getting? you can get .244 bullets (basically) in 55/70/85/87/90/95/100... so if you drop down to the .25-06, it certainly encompasses all of those (sans 55 gr. want that? get yourself a .22-250 :ph34r: ) within a factory standardized cartridge....

then there's the alternative, the 6.5/06 where you're getting better ballistics all around with 120/140 gr bullets... longer bullets, better all around...

i think it's really about diminishing returns...

(not poopin' in anyone's corn flakes that favors such a cartridge, just interjecting my own $.02)

ledz

(2 days until i get to .444-ville :) ;) )

#11 Cava3r4

Cava3r4

Varminter

• 69 posts
  • Local time: 09:03 PM
  • Interests:NRA (and CMP) Highpower. 300 Meter international match.<br />Bowling pins (with stock .45 ACP) Prairie Dog Shooting.<br />Muscle Cars (I have a restored a 69 Charger S/E). Making homebrew beer.

Posted 24 November 2003 - 10:08 AM

I have a 25-06 that I used for praire dogging. I shot out the barrel.
I would think a 6mm on the 06 case would really burn up barrels fast.
by the way, average life on a barrel in .243 for me is only about 1200 rounds and then the groups open up from .5 up to 1.0 inch. At 2000 rounds I had the barrel set back and it was still junk. I got rid of the rifle and bought a new .243.
I am thinking of trying the 6mm/22-.250 round. Precision shooting says it is the cats meow and has a pretty fair barrel life.
HTH
Bob

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,214 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 12:05 PM

Kinda all comes back to the same thing I guess. What is the real benefit in a wildcat? I looked at the 6mm/284 and it's impressive but not enough gain over common chambers to make it a worth while venture. Pretty much 25/06 ballistics in a short chamber. Never the less, it's a hobby and who says it has make sense.
WWRD? What Would Reagan Do?

#13 RSCAR

RSCAR

Sniper

• 3,185 posts
  • Interests:All things firearms, Offshore ocean fishing, making my wife happy and enjoying my life, annoying people

Posted 24 November 2003 - 01:15 PM

I guess I agree Red, but there's a young man at my club with a 6.5/.284 and at 600yds its like shooting fish in a barrel..accurate..fast/flat..wind cheater... spectacular!! New bbl @ 1500rds [ every rose has its thorns ] Theres a gun show in a month [X-Mas show ] I want to get something....22-250...6mmRem....260Rem. I'll make a post and ask every one's advice as to how to go about putting a semi-custom together but for now what does any one think about calibre... I like to shoot to 600yds without a lot of recoil, and a higher BC bullet that I now shoot in .308.. :blink: RSCAR

Edited by RSCAR, 24 November 2003 - 01:19 PM.

Aim Small-Miss Small...RSCAR...
Anybody worth shooting is worth shooting twice

#14 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 03:05 PM

1200 rounds from a 243 isn't very damn many. You got to be shooting long strings. My cousin got a mod-70 .243 and it's eaten an estimated 2500 as a general use gun over the last 20 years and it's still tight. 243 is very popular in our familly.

OOOooooo BBOOooyyy . . . Now the Rscar's is thinking of wildcatting!?!

well . . . a 243 AI is a pretty cool round and will be the custom I have made after my ruger #1 in .17AB. Otherwise the Lazeroni Scramjet offers factory brass (kinda pricey, but hey, you'll save on forming dies and whatnot :blink: ). Make the gun heavy or brake it. With those rounds (243AI/scramjet/etc.) I'd leave it to 3-shot groups at the range and save it for the bean fields and the prarie. If i ever marry money . . . I'd like to build a BAR with a 28" s.s., Lilja, 3-groove in scramjet, a fitted cheek piece and other stuff. holy CRAP that'd look nice over the fireplace!!

If you don't mind a braked gun then you can use just about whatever factory caliber you want with it twst'd to whatever bean you want to throw. Those Ackley Improved calibers are a pretty easy thing to get into though . . .

#15 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 02:03 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 24 November 2003 - 07:25 PM

Some of Ackly iimproved cartridges are not woth the time or expense to gain a mare 100 fps. If it was 300 fps gain, then its probably woth thinking about.
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It’s somebody who doesn’t believe there’s a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK