10 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,550 posts
  • Local time: 09:46 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Holy grails are few are far between in the varmint hunting community.  We don’t have scoring methods and clubs to measure how successful our hunts are.  Instead, we gauge our success on factors that matter only to us.  To some, it is sheer numbers of animals taken and to others it is the sum total of just the enjoyment of a particular hunt.  Now that I am older, I tend to fall into the latter category, but every once and a while all the stars align and a hunt takes place that brings me back to measuring my success by the sheer numbers of varmints taken.  This was one of those hunts.

I have been reading about Northeast California ground squirrel hunting for years.  In fact, I had planned a few hunts up that way over the years, but they never came to fruition.  Finally, after years of drought and loss of a huge swath of Southern California to “lead-free” only, I decided that this year would be the perfect time to make the 10 hour drive north and hunt the fabled fields of Modoc County for the Belding’s Ground Squirrel...

Click Here to Read the Entire Article and View the Video

Feel free to discuss this article, or ask questions in this thread.

Eric  B)

• Will Chambers likes this

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 Squirrelbasher

Squirrelbasher

Varminter

• 45 posts
  • Local time: 04:46 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, motorcycles, rc models, other stuff I can't really say....

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Great report Eric. I don't know when, or in fact if, the WSM will appear in the UK, but it looks an interesting calibre. How does the price of ammo compare to HMR ? Also, is the performance of the WSM more akin the the HMR or the .17 Hornet?

#3 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,765 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:24 AM

Great video and article, Eric! Furball varmints had no chance!

#4 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,372 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Great as usual.

Sean

#5 123dwight

123dwight

Varminter

• 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

I'm new at this. When you visit an area like this one, is it customary to find the landowners and ask permision to hunt? Or, is it so open that they really don't mind you being there?

#6 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

I'm new at this. When you visit an area like this one, is it customary to find the landowners and ask permision to hunt? Or, is it so open that they really don't mind you being there?

In California (and most places), if it's private land, you need written permission.  Finding the landowner and getting permission is normally not difficult up in NE California.  You can also call the Chamber of Commerce of some towns and they will point you in the right direction.   Even letting the motel owners know why you are there and that you are looking for a place to shoot, will normally open up doors you cannot open on your own.

Eric  B)

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#7 Echo 5 Golf

Echo 5 Golf

Varminter

• 128 posts
  • Interests:Family activities, 4x4ing, hiking, photography, learning to surf, history buff, geopolitics, succulents & cactus.

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

I enjoyed their article/hunt. Too bad I can't watch the video on my iPad with my wife sleeping next to me. Guess that will have to wait for the morning. Echo
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Thank you to all who have served this great nation. 🇺🇸

#8 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

Thanks! You need headphones! That's how I get away with it.

Eric

#9 Echo 5 Golf

Echo 5 Golf

Varminter

• 128 posts
  • Interests:Family activities, 4x4ing, hiking, photography, learning to surf, history buff, geopolitics, succulents & cactus.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

You need headphones!

Nice video and Yeah, I'm guessing you are right. I'll track down my headphones. :) Who knew I could also get marital advice from The Varminter.
E5G, out
  • MikeNC likes this
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Thank you to all who have served this great nation. 🇺🇸

#10 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 2,750 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 AM

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

Who knew I could also get marital advice from The Varminter.

E5G, out

:lol:  :lol: ...

Then I'll get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again

Don't get fooled again

No, no..! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

#11 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

;)

Eric  :lol: