savage bmag 17wsm 50yards 100yards

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• 15 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, and being outdoors.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

Today in Ohio we got a break from the 20 degree weather with a cool 50 degrees so I decided to bring out the Bmag and see what it will do. I have a boyds tactical stock and a Bushnell banner scope on the gun. I started at 20 yards to get on paper as my bore sighter only works down to 22.... <_< I then took it to 50 to see how it would group and was disappointed with a 4 shot group of just over an inch. I was really hoping for better. I moved out to 100 and did one 3 round group and got just under 2 inches. The ammo I'm using is the 25gr. 17wsm purchased back in October. I think the accuracy will improve as I get more rounds through the gun and the ammo gets more constant. I did get some cracked brass that really would throw the bullet off. Next time I plan to stretch it out to 150 and 200 to see how it does at longer distances.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,719 posts
  • Local time: 02:36 AM
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

The three around here did the same thing with the brass. They have all been sent back to Savage not back yet. I think the chambers were messed up at the factory or the load is too hot for that lot of brass. It is just a guess, but in the past it has been true. We did get one bunch of 17 HMR that did the same thing, had to be the load as no more problems.

-----~  <*(((((><

#3 Glass37

Glass37

Varminter

• 95 posts
  • Local time: 01:36 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

If you could, please measure the split cases just behind the shoulder, in the middle, and at the rear. Trying to get info on chamber variations. Thanks.

Measuring the fire formed case with calipers or micrometers will give very close to actual chamber dimensions.

Edited by Glass37, 02 February 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#4 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I would send it back. My first group at 50 yards is shown below.

Posted Image

Here is one of my 100 yard groups:

17-WSM.jpg

Again, I would send it back.

Eric B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#5 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

If you could, please measure the split cases just behind the shoulder, in the middle, and at the rear. Trying to get info on chamber variations. Thanks.

I dont really understand what you mean.

#6 Toyman1

Toyman1

Varminter

• 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

Eric,

Did you do any sort of break in on the barrel or just start shooting?

#7 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

The chamber castings I took were all different and a bit large in my opinion, gave the info to the rifle owners to send in with their rifles and I have since reused the Cerrosafe or I would post my findings. Glad to here yours is a keeper Eric, wonder why the inconsistency with these rifles?

Edited by troutbum, 02 February 2014 - 04:33 AM.

-----~  <*(((((><

#8 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 03:36 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Results of the BMAG have been very scattered. My BMAG shoots good groups without any tinkering. I do need to stiffen the factory stock forearm. That, or just remove the offending inches of the stock.

#9 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

I found that most of the brass went into the chamber berry shiny and clean and after they were shot and were ejected there was lots of grime and fouling on the outside of the brass all around it down to the base of the brass. Could this be a result of the chamber being slightly too large?
  • sixshooter likes this

#10 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 03:36 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

I found that most of the brass went into the chamber berry shiny and clean and after they were shot and were ejected there was lots of grime and fouling on the outside of the brass all around it down to the base of the brass. Could this be a result of the chamber being slightly too large?

Would be my guess, too.

#11 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

Eric,

I cleaned my rifle very well, including the bolt-face area and the chamber. I then followed the same break-in procedures I do with center-fire rifles, which is shoot once, then clean on every round up to #10. I slowly increase the # of rounds between cleaning until I reach #30 to #50 rounds, depending on the amount of fouling I am observing.

Eric B)
  • Old Hickory likes this

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#12 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Eric,

I cleaned my rifle very well, including the bolt-face area and the chamber. I then followed the same break-in procedures I do with center-fire rifles, which is shoot once, then clean on every round up to #10. I slowly increase the # of rounds between cleaning until I reach #30 to #50 rounds, depending on the amount of fouling I am observing.

Eric B)

Sorry for late responce. I did clean the rifle really good before I shot it but I didn't really do any special break in.

#13 Toyman1

Toyman1

Varminter

• 31 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

Eric,

Eric B)

Well I haven't gotten out to shoot mine yet so time will tell, but I have done a very detailed cleaning of the bore and did a light polish to the chamber. I also completely took the bolt apart and cleaned/scrubbed everything. I noticed that the firing pin had a burr on the back end so I stoned off the burr. I then polished the bolt face and extractor up. Lightly lubed and reassembled bolt. The action seemed to be a little smoother so who knows.
I have a Boyds Rimfie Hunter stock on the way and an EGW scope rail to get it completely together so after that I will have to go and break in the barrel and then see if I have a good one or not (fingers crossed). I only have the 25gr ammo to test with but by the time I shoot it I may get lucky and find some 20gr too (won't hold my breath).

#14 Spud

Spud

Varminter

• 259 posts
  • Interests:Bench rest shooting, reloading, Fly fishing, fly tying and Prairie Dogs Shooting

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

The chamber castings I took were all different and a bit large in my opinion, gave the info to the rifle owners to send in with their rifles and I have since reused the Cerrosafe or I would post my findings. Glad to here yours is a keeper Eric, wonder why the inconsistency with these rifles?

Sense I don't have anything better to do I also made a Cerrosafe casting of my Bmag chamber and also went through about 40 spent cases and here are the results. The casting was taken off of my new bmag that was replaced by Savage. I have shot 50 rounds through it, 25 20gr and 25 25gr. I will with hold judgment as the conditions at the range the day I shot it were not ideal. I think the dementions show why there is blow back on the cases. Also I have shot way over 250 rounds and as yet have not had a split case.

Spud

Posted Image

#15 Glass37

Glass37

Varminter

• 95 posts
  • Local time: 01:36 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Spud, thanks for the measurements. These measurements seem to produce few or no splits at all, from what I've seen so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: savage, bmag, 17wsm, 50yards, 100yards