Photo

Savage Bmag Boyds tacticool stock first impressions.

17wsm boyds stock tacticool savage bmag

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• 15 posts
  • Local time: 07:24 PM
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, and being outdoors.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Ok so this is my first real post her so here we go.

Like most after picking up the bmag I immediately knew that its in desperate need of a better stock so as soon as boyds announced that there Bmag stocks were ready to be ordered I went ahead and got one. This isn't really a review, its more of a first impressions of the Boyds tacticool stock that I received.

To start off I will say that the stock is really good quality and the textured paint is really nice. The overall finish was really nice and it feels really solid. The problems started when I placed the action in the stock. Boyds does say that there stocks often will need minor fitting to get a perfect fit and I was fine what that but my stock needed more than just "minor fitting". At first I noticed that the barrel was nowhere close to being free floated as it hugged the left side of the stock all the way to the end. So after a half hour of sanding Its still not exactly where I would like it but its better than the factory stock it doesn't bend. The next problem was when I put the rotating mag in the gun it would not fit so I had about an hours worth of sanding to get the mag to even click in and its still really stiff and requires a good amount of pressure to click in. The trigger guard that is included is really disappointing as its made of a really cheap plastic and mine cracked just by snugging the screws but is still useable. So would I recommend? Yes I would as long as you don't mind doing some work to get it to fit just right. This stock is 10 times better than the factory one and really makes the B-mag feel more like a rifle than a toy. I will be posting about the accuracy when I get the chance to shoot the gun. Its a snow storm in Ohio right now so I can't really say when that will be. Thanks

NOTE: Be sure to reuse the factory escutcheons that are used in the original stock! These act as spacers and if not used the safety on the gun will not operate correctly. I learned the hard way!

WP_20140125_001.jpg

WP_20140125_002.jpg

WP_20140125_005.jpg

Edited by ohiohunter, 26 January 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#2 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

More Pictures

WP_20140125_004.jpg

WP_20140125_006.jpg

WP_20140125_007.jpg

#3 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for all the information Ohiohunter. More disturbing news for Bmag and Savage. I hope all turns out good with your accuracy.
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#4 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Yea I know it isn't really what anyone wanted to hear but its the truth. Hopefully mine is the only one if not the future of the bmag may not be so bright.

#5 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,719 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 PM
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

It sure has the cloud of doom hanging over it at the present time, got one back we sent in the replacement is just as bad as what we sent in. That sure looks good in that stock hope it shoots well. You deserve that after all the work!

-----~  <*(((((><

#6 gsperaz

gsperaz

Varminter

• 23 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Ohio, did you reuse the metal inserts from the factory stock that the action screws seat into ?. They act as pillars and keep the rear action screw from binding up the safety. They are threaded into the factory stock and should be removed and installed into your new Boyd's stock. I have read about several folks forgetting or not knowing to do this. Here is a quote from another site,
ATTENTION CUSTOMERS:To assemble, you will need to use the two escutcheons and action screws from the original.

If you use the escutcheons you won't have a problem with the safety. The escutcheons are the metal pieces in your original stock that kept the action screws from falling out of the stock when the action was removed

In the owners manual, on page 30 the escutcheons are the parts numbered 556 and referred to as stock pillars

Edited by gsperaz, 25 January 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#7 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

You have got to be kidding me! Nowhere in the box was there anykind if paperwork telling me that! That would probably would have fixed my barrel problem. Smh smh. I feel really stupid now.

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts
  • Local time: 06:24 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"

Protector of the nuts.

#9 gsperaz

gsperaz

Varminter

• 23 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

Sorry Ohio......It is posted on their website where you read the description of the Bmag stocks. I have copied this info on to several sites,(I am not the author of the original post) lots of folks are not aware of this. I guess sometimes it pays not to be the first in line, but I wish my stock would show up.

#10 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Well I joined this forum to learn somthing new! I guess I got what I asked for. I know what I will be tearing apart tomorrow.... At least I didn't get it zeroed yet.

#11 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

Who knows, there may be a ray of light at the end of the tunnel...I hope so. I'm glad you threw this out there Ohio. Could be a real education for many.
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#12 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"

I knew I had heard that Red...but had to look it up to see where it came from. Clint had the best one liners in movie history in my opinion.

#13 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,534 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Just picked up a mall Martini. Going to make a great little 17WSM. Only problem, my friend and gunsmith just quit the gun business and moved to AZ. Won't be upgrading the B-Mag stock now.

Sean

#14 ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Ok I edited my first post and deleted the part about the screws. I used the required parts and it works fine now. I put a reminder at the end saying don't for get to fuse the factory spacers.

#15 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

I used the required parts and it works fine now. I put a reminder at the end saying don't for get to fuse the factory spacers.

That's good news Ohio. Looks like that 'mere scrap of information' that Red referred to was in fact essential. Looking forward to hearing how she groups.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 17wsm, boyds, stock, tacticool, savage, bmag