• Please log in to reply
952 replies to this topic

#946 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:44 AM

September is typically better than August squirrel hunting here. But, dove season starts Sept.1. There is a short window for any decent dove hunting. Last year I was able to do both and even camped at my squirrel hunting area and drove to a dove field.

A few years I bought an out of state Missouri license to hunt the squirrels sooner in July. I found that yes I could kill some squirrels but it wasn't prime time great as the cover is so heavy and nuts aren't ready. I decided not to spend the money on that any longer.

Meanwhile my yard is covered with squirrels. Young squirrels are swinging around like monkeys and I'm sure the older ones are working on their second brood now. I can't shoot a rifle here but if I'm discreet I can take one now and then with my air rifle. Our old house was better for this with fewer neighborhood prying eyes. I planted 65 pine trees last year and in a few years more privacy will allow more opportunities.

• Old Hickory 45 likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#947 RickyI

RickyI

Varminter

• 64 posts
  • Interests:Rimfires, hunting, jeeping and the Outdoors

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:50 AM

Only 61 days until squirrel season starts for me. Looking forward to it like I do every year!!

Good Luck this year, Red!!!

Rick

• Red and Old Hickory 45 like this

#948 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

Just two days away now. I plan to go to a local spot this weekend.

A couple months ago I backordered a fat tire off-road electric bike. It just showed up today. QUICKLY I put it together and charged the battery. It's pretty sweet I must say. Real zippy on flat ground, less so on a steep hill. I had it up over 20mph today. So the idea is that I can cruise the green trails back miles into an area I've been hunting for years and is off limits to gas powered conveyances like a 4 wheeler. It should enable me to see things and hunt places that were simply too far to reasonably walk to in the past. It should be good for squirrels, ducks, and turkey hunting. I'm beginning the building of a rack to carry it on the back of the camper tomorrow. Also a strong but lightweight rear rack on the bike itself will need to be built, and possibly one on the front.

Protector of the nuts.

#949 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 131 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:03 PM

That's great news, Red! I hope you can find the racks you want. Does the bike maker offer anything?

#950 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:28 AM

Just two days away now. I plan to go to a local spot this weekend. A couple months ago I backordered a fat tire off-road electric bike. It just showed up today. QUICKLY I put it together and charged the battery. It's pretty sweet I must say. Real zippy on flat ground, less so on a steep hill. I had it up over 20mph today. So the idea is that I can cruise the green trails back miles into an area I've been hunting for years and is off limits to gas powered conveyances like a 4 wheeler.

Nice, I think I remember us jibberjabbing over these things some time ago. Your after story from the hunt will be interesting.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#951 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 503 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:30 AM

It is going to be interesting to see if you get the battery life the makers seem to taunt. I can't imagine pushing a fat-tire back to camp, several miles away!

#952 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:23 AM

Why would I push it? It has peddles. 25 mile minimum before the battery conks and up to 45 miles if you don't pound it. If I could change anything it would be to have more low end torque and less on the high speed side. It's faster than anyone would need for traveling trails. But could use a little bit more umph on hills.

Turns out there was a rain delay in the local squirrel hunting game for this past weekend. No bother I used the time to build a bike carrier for the camper and the truck. And built front and rear racks on the bike to carry some duck decoys, or foxpro caller, gun, etc. I'm hoping to take it to squirrel camp very soon.

• MikeNC and Old Hickory 45 like this

Protector of the nuts.

#953 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:24 AM

That's great news, Red! I hope you can find the racks you want. Does the bike maker offer anything?

They are out of stock. And expensive when they do have them. Made my own.

Edited by Red, 03 August 2020 - 08:25 AM.

Protector of the nuts.