• Please log in to reply
952 replies to this topic

#31 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

I was planning on squirrel hunting this weekend. Wife is still crippled up from her recent surgeries and we have a winter storm moving in today, possibly 3"-5" of snow and mix. It has been a month without hunting because of wife's medical problems. Any decent window of weather, I'm going to sneak out with a rifle tomorrow or Sunday.

#32 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

Hey I've been trying to get out for a few weeks also. Weather and/or work has not allowed it. 12"-14" of snow where I usually drag my camper to and bitter cold. Should be back to normal before long.

Protector of the nuts.

#33 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

I sure hope it does, Red! BUMMER! Same here, bum weather. We just received ice with a few inches of snow on top of it this weekend, with wind. Our low temps alone are enough to keep the game bottled up.

Next weekend is looking better.

#34 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hunting finally looks good for Saturday, is supposed to be in the 40's here that day. Wife is doing much better and the squirrels should be out in numbers. After not being hunted for a month, squirrels should be dumbed down, huh?

#35 Squirrelbasher

Squirrelbasher

Varminter

• 45 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, motorcycles, rc models, other stuff I can't really say....

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hunting finally looks good for Saturday, is supposed to be in the 40's here that day. Wife is doing much better and the squirrels should be out in numbers. After not being hunted for a month, squirrels should be dumbed down, huh?

Good luck fella, hope you get a good bag.

#36 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

Well, that didn't work out so hot. I discovered my scope was off 0 after missing 4 easy shots. So I sighted it in and managed to kill one squirrel. After that, had a bad fall on an icy bluff and banged up my elbow but managed to keep my rifle from hitting the ground.

Heading home, the cowpath to the road was thawed clay over ice, was a real hair raiser getting to the hard road without sliding over the bluff or through a gate. I was thankful for 4WD and new ugly tires but that's only so-so good on mud and ice.

Dang elbow is still pretty sore.

I was going hunting this morning but not feeling up to par. It's about 27F but the wind is howling, not the best of days for squirrel hunting. Several layers of crunchy snow and ice wouldn't help, either.

I tried to hog hunt during a crunchy snow day some years ago and couldn't even get within rifle range. All the hogs blew out on us, of course. A fella might as well stay home on such days.

#37 outback andy

outback andy

Varminter

• 64 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, motorcycling, ATVing ect...

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

I hope your elbow is feeling better now, I enjoy getting out on those late winter hunts for squirrel and rabbits too, nothing better then eating a lunch in the woods on a warm winter day hunt.

Edited by outback andy, 28 January 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#38 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,558 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Get well soon....doesn't freeze here in Ca. Oh, but that California Problem

Sean

#39 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Elbow still sore and this was the last day of squirrel season. I planned on going today but had to take wife to her out of town doc appointment.

It started snowing on our return 85 mile drive and the roads were getting slick. Drivers were bent on high speed destruction so I decided the safe thing was to just stay home and watch the snow pile up.

We have about 3 or 4 inches and it's still snowing like a blizzard. Looks like hunting is at a standstill until maybe a rabbit/coyote hunt Sunday. I plan on hunting an old limestone quarry I haven't hunted for 50 years. It holds lots of rabbits,quail, and should hold some really dumb coyotes. I think my .17WSM will get a hunting trip.

#40 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Sitting out the last day of squirrel season was like watching your parked truck slide off a cliff.

My kid brother called and asked if I would go coyote hunting today. We received about 7"or 8" of snow. It's cold and windy, another day to stay by the fire. I envy you youngsters that can tough out the cold. I have enough trouble keeping warm while on patrol. I wear about everything I own under my uniform.

I'm waiting for the weather to break so I can swap out some scopes and do some sighting in. I have 4 rifles that are in dire need of a range outing.

Our county outdoor range has berms covered with thick brush on the outside. Deer bed in the brush on the berms and are not bothered by the shooting just a few yards away. When folks are shooting heavy stuff, the squirrels seem to notice and leave, but the deer remain in place.

#41 Karys

Karys

Varminter

• 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

I've taken quite a few squirrels.

My primary firearm now is a scoped 6" Taurus revolver in .17 HMR. I've also taken them with my .17 HMR Savage and my Marlin 880 SS in .22 LR. I have to admit hunting squirrels with a scoped handgun is the most fun.

The limit here in PA is 6 per day. I'm not sure if air guns are legal but semiauto rifles and handguns are definitely not, so sadly, no 10/22's, Ruger Mark II's or III's or Browning Buckmarks allowed.

There were times when we had a bunch of guys in camp and most of us would limit out or get close to limiting out we would set up a squirrel processing assembly line. One guy would skin them. One or two guys would cut up the meat and then one or two would chop vegetables and we'd make a huge squirrel pot pie for dinner. We haven't done that in a while and I could go for some right now!
"You see, truth always resides wherever brave men still have ammunition."
-John Ransom

#42 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Wait, did you just say semi-auto .22's are not allowed in Pennsylania?

edit; just looked it up and indeed seems to be the case. What a bunch of crap!  I certainly thought IL would be more restrictive than PA. Is there anything in the works to repeal this idiotic law?

Edited by Red, 01 March 2014 - 02:46 PM.

Protector of the nuts.

#43 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

I've taken quite a few squirrels.

My primary firearm now is a scoped 6" Taurus revolver in .17 HMR. I've also taken them with my .17 HMR Savage and my Marlin 880 SS in .22 LR. I have to admit hunting squirrels with a scoped handgun is the most fun.

The limit here in PA is 6 per day. I'm not sure if air guns are legal but semiauto rifles and handguns are definitely not, so sadly, no 10/22's, Ruger Mark II's or III's or Browning Buckmarks allowed.

There were times when we had a bunch of guys in camp and most of us would limit out or get close to limiting out we would set up a squirrel processing assembly line. One guy would skin them. One or two guys would cut up the meat and then one or two would chop vegetables and we'd make a huge squirrel pot pie for dinner. We haven't done that in a while and I could go for some right now!

I'm sure glad you are a fellow squirrel hunter! One of my work pals sold his Taurus .17 HMR pistol and is still kicking himself for selling it.

That's a bummer, your gun laws. I would move to Iowa. ;

#44 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 PM

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

What??? I always thought Pa. was kind of like God's country. How long has that been in effect? 

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#45 Karys

Karys

Varminter

• 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

edit; just looked it up and indeed seems to be the case. What a bunch of crap!  I certainly thought IL would be more restrictive than PA. Is there anything in the works to repeal this idiotic law?

Semi autos have been banned for hunting for a really long time. I'm hoping things will change in the next 10 years or so. I think it will with new hunters coming into the sport who will want to hunt with their AR's.

It's actually worse though. Not only are semi autos banned in PA but so is hunting on Sundays except for coyotes and crows. A bill to change that has come up in the state legislature a few times in the last few years but it never had enough votes to pass. I think we'll see Sunday hunting allowed in PA along before semi autos are allowed.

A lot of people are very traditional here and they don't like a lot of change. There were major debates and arguments about allowing crossbows during the regular archery season. It was very heated for a while but eventually it was passed to allow crossbows and there have not been any major detrimental effects on the deer herd.

Sorry about hijacking the squirrel hunting thread guys. Back on track...

Any favorite squirrel recipes? Aside from pot pie, I like doing up the legs like hot wings. I don't bread them and they cook REALLY quick when deep fried so you have to pay attention.
"You see, truth always resides wherever brave men still have ammunition."
-John Ransom