• Please log in to reply
758 replies to this topic

#16 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,455 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

BMag - Hope you can find all the pieces. Have fun.

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution

#17 444pistol

444pistol

Varminter

• 11 posts
  • Local time: 12:44 PM
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, shooting, reloading, more shooting, small/big game hunting, fishing, woodworking, and farming

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Howdy to all. Yes indeed I hunt squirrels routinely, used to hunt with a 572 pump, but bought a Henry golden boy 17 HMR, and always carry the MKII. Just returned from CO accompanying an older gentleman on a elk hunt. Typically I have a tag myself but that's the luck of the draw, but I did buy a small game license. No offense to western squirrels but those fellers are small, but the two grouse made up for the small squirrels. Got 34 squirrels total in 9 days. All with the HMR but two with the MKII. Happy hunting to all!

#18 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,765 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

BMag - Hope you can find all the pieces. Have fun.

Good one, Red! I got two grays and the exit holes were something to be seen! The only good meat I lost was one shoulder but I saved the leg. Both shots were chest shots because of thick leaf cover. One exit hole was MUCH bigger than a HMR hole!

#19 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,765 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Got 4 more grays today, were not torn up bad. I did discover the explosive power of the 20gr today. I made a long grazing shot at a gray tree squirrel on the ground. The bullet removed both front feet and took out its chest. Added to the destruction was the 3" crater where the chest used to be, and even the tough squirrel hide was gone! It was one clean crater, no hide!

My hunting pal had a nice dead fox squirrel hung up in a tree. He tried knocking it out of the tree with his HMR, no luck. My WSM blew the squirrel clear out of the tree, a side through side lower chest shot that didn't ruin meat.

#20 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Another bum hunting weather weekend! It's about 23F and is about as warm as it's going to get today, with lots of wind. Tomorrow will be cold and windy, also.

I'm going to fool some squirrels this coming week, am taking the week off work and will get some decent weather before the week is over.

Our yard squirrels are a good forecast as to if the bucktoothed varmints are out and about.

Y'all been hunting?

#21 mcwiggles

mcwiggles

Varminter

• 8 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 AM
  • Interests:Air Gunning, Small Game Hunting, Bushcraft, Camping.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

Right Here! I'm new to hunting but i have a spot in the woods on my property where there is 13-15 squirrel nests in the trees. I'm not certain on how to hunt squirrels (Being new to hunting) so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also I am using An air rifle.

#22 trimguy

trimguy

Varminter

• 185 posts
  • Local time: 08:44 AM
  • Interests:hunting,shooting guns and bows. Wood working

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Right Here! I'm new to hunting but i have a spot in the woods on my property where there is 13-15 squirrel nests in the trees. I'm not certain on how to hunt squirrels (Being new to hunting) so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also I am using An air rifle.

If you have an area with that many nests, early morning ambush. Get out there pre dawn pick a good spot to watch and shoot from. Be patient sit still and when you shoot one remain seated and still. It depends how spooky the squirrels are. If they aren't hunted much you should be able to get a few just sitting in one spot. That's the easiest way to hunt them.

#23 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

Indeed. A lot of hunting ground to our north has been absorbed by these large outfits bringing out of state deer hunters to hunt IL deer. A few big deer get killed and next thing you know there's a dollar to be made while local people are cut off. Further, I'm sure farmers/ranchers get people tresspassing or have been burned at one time or another by irresponsible indiduals. Understandable that they would be resistant to allow someone they do not know to have access.

First squirrel with the new Franchi

Good start, Red! And yeah on hunting places getting burned by idiots and big deer causing many places getting leased. When I see a really big trophy buck while squirrel hunting, I am very careful as to whom I leak info to. One huge leased area gave me permission to squirrel hunt their leases until deer season opens but I haven't hunted the areas yet.

#24 Squirrelbasher

Squirrelbasher

Varminter

• 45 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, motorcycles, rc models, other stuff I can't really say....

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

What's your bag limit for grey squirrels? We don't have a limit here.

#25 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,455 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

5 Gray or Fox Squirrels per day or a combination of both in IL.

#26 Squirrelbasher

Squirrelbasher

Varminter

• 45 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, motorcycles, rc models, other stuff I can't really say....

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

I bet that could be frustrating at times Red, if you've travelled a distance and there's more sport on offer than your limit allows. But on the other hand, it preserves your sport I suppose. Sometimes we get together to clear some squirrels out if they're getting overrun and they can become a real pest. We can do some drey poking and shoot scores of them in a few hours. Not rifle sport, but can be fast action shooting, usually with semi auto shotguns.

#27 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,237 posts
  • Local time: 01:44 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:42 AM

6 of any combination here in Ohio. But there is no possession limit. I could have limited out Mon/Tuesday from my treestand had I taken the 22 with me. LOL Which of course would have been illegal this week. :lol:

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#28 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,455 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

I bet that could be frustrating at times Red, if you've travelled a distance and there's more sport on offer than your limit allows. But on the other hand, it preserves your sport I suppose. Sometimes we get together to clear some squirrels out if they're getting overrun and they can become a real pest. We can do some drey poking and shoot scores of them in a few hours. Not rifle sport, but can be fast action shooting, usually with semi auto shotguns.

These squirrels are considered game, not pests here. As opposed to say the California Ground Squirrel that looks pretty similar that ARE certainly pests and I don't believe there's a limit on those. However, if these Gray Tree Squirrels get in your attic you would quickly classify them as pests. 5 a day is sufficient for me.

#29 Samwaa

Samwaa

Varminter

• 33 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:45 AM

Glad to learn that some areas on the "Peoples Republic" ( illinois) allow rimfire/air in state areas. I live close to Chicago and none of the areas around here will allow it. I am also a avid traditional bow hunter, and want to bounce a few squirrels with the bow, but our conservation areas told me shotgun only. Being a working man and not knowing any body in a rural area, I can only use public land. So, I suppose it's off to Indiana again next year.

#30 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

Daily limit 6, can be fox or gray squirrels, possession limit of 12 here in Iowa.