Any Tree Squirrel Hunters Here?

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#1 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,743 posts
  • Local time: 02:40 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

How about it? I'm a rabid squirrel hunter and am wondering how many others here hunt them.

Edited by Old Hickory, 21 October 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,546 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 AM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

I will be heading up to Northern California or Northern Arizona for tree squirrel this year. I have killed a grand total of two in my lifetime, only because there is no where to hunt them down here legally. We have an area that is 1.25 hours from my house that is loaded with big, Gray Squirrels, but it is closed to hunting due to low population?? Oh well, this should be the year I change my numbers on these guys!

Eric B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#3 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,432 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

HERE! Yeah I love squirrel hunting. I've been out countless times since the start of the season here. I have a spot that's fairly close that I frequent but also love to take the camper and head south for several days at a time. When the weather cools it's nice to combine the trip into squirrel/coyote hunting depending on the wind conditions or just what I feel like hunting on a particular day. The peak is just about over now but there are always a few squirrels to be had. Crow season starts soon!!

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution

#4 SgtMike7051

SgtMike7051

Varminter

• 49 posts
  • Local time: 04:40 AM
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing,gardening,prepping,cooking & being with my wife & 2 kids and enjoying being outside

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

I'm waiting for colder weather here in S.E. Mi. & the leaves to fall. Then I'll be using my trusty air rifle herd to get them.[Benji. 392,Benji Trail Nitro Piston, Crossman 800X {Quest}, & now the Ruger Yukon, all in .22]

#5 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,743 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

SgtMike is using an airgin, well liked by many.They have sure make great leaps in improvements with airguns.

What are the rest of you fellas using?

I use my Savage HMR with 17gr VMax and my Browning BuckMark .22 pistol, mostly. I have a couple of other good squirrel rifles that whine and cry every time I leave them home.

#6 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,230 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

I really enjoy squirrel hunting but haven't done it for the last 4 years or so. I really need to get the ol $75 yard sale table Mossberg 22LR re-dialed for squirrels & go poke a few this year.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#7 Samwaa

Samwaa

Varminter

• 33 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

Love to hunt with a Mach 2, but only have public land to hunt on, and the wonderful gun friendly state of Illinois does not let you use rimfire for squirrels on public land. I now travel to Indiana and have to buy the out of state license.

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,432 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Love to hunt with a Mach 2, but only have public land to hunt on, and the wonderful gun friendly state of Illinois does not let you use rimfire for squirrels on public land. I now travel to Indiana and have to buy the out of state license.

I feel your pain. I too live in IL and a "few" state places do allow single projectile squirrel hunting but not many. I hunt either private land, hunt one of the few state operated places that do allow it, and/or have bought a Missouri license a few times.

Beyond that shotgun only places is better than nuthin and I do that from time to time also. Somehow it doesn't fulfill the true fair chase aspect of the hunt most times. I'd rather bag only one squirrel with my .22 than a full limit with a shotgun.

Living in IL is a challenge all to it's self.

Edited by Red, 24 October 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#9 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 2,737 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 AM

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

Does Illinois allow squirrel hunting with an airgun? That would be reason enough (for me) to invest in a nice PCP for squerls. I love squirrel hunting and cannot imagine hunting them with a shotgun. Squirrel and rimfire just naturally go together; like quail and shotgun.

Then I'll get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again

Don't get fooled again

No, no..! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

#10 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,432 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

hmmm, good question. A call would be in order to find out for sure and it could be site specific. I can't imagine that would not be allowed but then I've seen some signs that clearly say "No Single Projectile Hunting". .Rimfire is allowed on several state owned properties around here, not generally in the state parks that allow camping, etc where there's chance for a stray to cause harm.

Shotgun squirrel hunting is fun too. You need to get close enough to seal the deal. Wary gray's can be challenging. It's just not AS much fun IMO.

Never the less, I just bought a spiffy used 28ga pretty much just for squirrels. Planning to try it out posthaste if my flippin ammo ever arrives.

#11 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have a new hunting place lining up, is a private owned timber. The lady that owns it wants all the squirrels killed! She hates squirrels because they get into her bird feeders. I work with her grandson, the one that put me on to the place. I see good things going to happen. :crazycamo:
Well, that got delayed. The grandson forgot and was 160 miles away, hauling a trailer. It's still in the works.

I sighted in my latest rimfire addition yesterday, my Savage BMAG .17WSM. It is shooting 3/8" and 1/2" groups at 50 meters with the 20gr fodder. It was windy yesterday and I expect better on a calm day. It may be considered somewhat over the top for squirrels but will do nicely for head shots and an occasional coyote. Last year on one late season outing I called in two coyotes and one squirrel with my squirrel call.

I have two brothers and they are also rabid squirrel hunters. One drives back from CA to hunt squirrels here in SE Iowa and the other one lives here. Brother Charlie from CA usually uses a shotgun. My other brother Don and I use rifle and pistol, only.

My go to squirrel rifle has been for the last 12 or 13 years, my Savage .17 HMR. The rifle can stack bullets at 100 meters, a true match grade rifle.

It's tough hunting this year, has been pretty windy here. You fellas that hunt tree squirrels know how that does for our squirrel hunting.

Edited by Old Hickory, 28 October 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,432 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

That's a great deal. I've had permission to hunt coyotes ONLY at one very nice farm for several years. The people are nice but quite particular. I'm the only one who has permission to hunt anything there. The farmer deer hunts and the coyotes are a nuisance. Food plots, monster deer everywhere, etc. Anyway, I always see a bunch of squirrels there. Been working up the nerve to approach them about squirrels.

#13 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

I sure hope that works out for you, Red! With more and more landowners cutting off hunting, it can be pretty tough to find good hunting places close to home. I lose good hunting places when new owners take over and cancel all hunting. A lot of good hunting ground now gets leased by big hunting outfits. The ones around here lease thousands of acres that has closed many hunting areas that were open to us. I imagine many of you have the same problem.

#14 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,432 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Indeed. A lot of hunting ground to our north has been absorbed by these large outfits bringing out of state deer hunters to hunt IL deer. A few big deer get killed and next thing you know there's a dollar to be made while local people are cut off. Further, I'm sure farmers/ranchers get people tresspassing or have been burned at one time or another by irresponsible indiduals. Understandable that they would be resistant to allow someone they do not know to have access.

First squirrel with the new Franchi
Franchi.jpg

Edited by Red, 28 October 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#15 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 2,743 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm taking my BMAG for a walkabout Sunday and hopefully draw some blood. Paper holes just doesn't get it. As I can see above, Sniper agrees.