#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts
  • Local time: 03:10 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Do you think it would be a good combo?

You know how much I love my 5mm Rimfire Contender Carbine!

17WSM-Contender-Barrel-1.jpg

17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-3.jpg

17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-2.jpg

Hmm... ;)

I'll post specs later...

Eric B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• 737 posts
  • Local time: 02:10 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

I think it would be a super combo! My bmag is just too light to keep still i think. I did get it shooting 1/2 inch at 50 though

#3 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts
  • Local time: 04:10 PM

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

thought about it for my Encore frame, though the bigger frame wouldn't be needed.

Protector of the nuts.

#4 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

I had it made to almost the exact specs of my 5mm Contender barrels. 23", medium weight barrel (I know it doesn't look medium weight with the tiny hole). I am using it on my current original Contender Frame, with hopes to find a cheap, local frame here in the next few months. I'm going to scope this one with a new Hawke Panorama that I am reviewing. The combo should make for a super accurate rifle. I guess the real test is now going to be how accurate is the .17WSM ammo!

Sixshooter - I completely understand the weight issue. Sometimes, it is hard to get a proper balance when shooting. I am going to be doing some work on my stock next week. I will be stiffing up the for-end, while possibly adding a bit of weight. This will probably help with the balance as well. Once I do that, I might get to work on the action area. I'm hesitant because the rifle is pretty accurate as is, just uncomfortable. This Contender has always balanced well!

Red - I'll let you know how this works out. I'm looking to make this a Ground Squirrel/Prairie Dog rifle for longer range. If it will shoot 1/2" or less at 100 yards, then I'll be set.

Eric B)

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

I finally got to shoot the Contender. Unfortunately, the wind was whipping around with some gusts up in the teens, so I only shot it for break-in purposes (shoot one, clean, etc). I did shoot a 3-shot group at 50 yards, but it is not any kind of accuracy judgement for this rifle (although the group was very good).

Here are some pictures of the rifle with a Hawke Panorama Scope mounted on it (we will be doing a full review of this scope soon) on the bench:

17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-4.jpg
17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-5.jpg
17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-6.jpg
17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-7.jpg

As stated before, it is exactly like my 5mm Contender, so I am very happy with the feel of the rifle.

Eric B)

#6 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Nice rig Eric.

-----~  <*(((((><

#7 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thanks!

Here is the 50 yard group (shoot, clean, shoot, clean, shoot):

17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-8.jpg

Eric B)

#8 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Nice and a mercury dime too boot.

-----~  <*(((((><

#9 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

I finally got to shoot some ground squirrels with the .17WSM Contender Carbine. The .17WSM did not disappoint. It knocked the heck out of the Ground Squirrels, including an extremely large one! I changed the scope to a smaller 2.5 x 7 so I could take it on my deer hunt. The smaller scope works well with hiking around.

These were taken at 75 yards (the large one) and 40 yards with the 20 grain bullet.

The large one laying in front of the 23" Contender Barrel.

17WSM-Contender-Ground-Squi.jpg

Two of the three squirrels I got this morning next to the alfalfa field that they are gorging on:

17WSM-Contender-Hunt-2.jpg

One of the ground squirrels taken this morning. I cut his stomach open to show how much alfalfa he ate in 2-3 hours of daylight. He had a small piece stuck in his mouth. Multiply that by hundreds of ground squirrels and you can imagine the damage they cause.

17WSM-Contender-Hunt-3.jpg

Eric B)

#10 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

and here I thought eating greens was supposed to be healthy.

Protector of the nuts.

#11 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

Do you think it would be a good combo?

You know how much I love my 5mm Rimfire Contender Carbine!

17WSM-Contender-Barrel-1.jpg

17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-3.jpg

17WSM-Contender-Carbine-Barrel-2.jpg

Hmm... ;)

I'll post specs later...

Eric B)

YES!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 17 Winchester Super Magnum, Contender Carbine