Photo

Ground Squirrel Shot - Can You Guess Which is the Exit Wound?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,525 posts
  • Local time: 03:34 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

So here's the information. Can you tell me which picture shows the entrance wound and which shows the exit wound? :o Once there are a few guesses, I'll show a "Quick Clip" with the answer!

Rifle: Savage B.MAG
Caliber: 17 Winchester Super Magnum
Bullet: 20 Grain V-Max
Distance: <70 Yards
Field Conditions: Windy and Clear

Picture #1:
17-Winchester-Super-Magnum-1.jpg

Picture #2:
17-Winchester-Super-Magnum-2.jpg

Beauty Shot:
17-Winchester-Super-Magnum-3.jpg

------

Eric B)

#2 YAV8

YAV8

Varminter

• 27 posts
  • Local time: 04:34 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Help me with the guess, was he looking away or facing you?
  • sixshooter likes this

#3 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

I don't remember... :winkcamo:

Eric B)

#4 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,554 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

EW-- Top pic. I've seen HP rds out of a 22WMR do the backsplash.

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

No one else wants to guess? Hmm...

I'll post up the video quick clip this afternoon!

Eric B)

#6 BIrd Hunter

BIrd Hunter

Varminter

• 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

2nd pic is entrance....just my guess

#7 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Here you go!!  Did you guess correctly?  Watch in HD - Full Screen for best viewing!

-----

Eric  B)

#8 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

I shot him in the chest and the bullet blew-up on impact, with only a small chunk exiting the squirrel's back. Testing like this makes me wonder about what this bullet will do when it hits a Coyote rib, or if it clips the leg on the way into the chest.

I thought it was interesting! It sure knocked the heck out of the squirrel, sending him into a back-flip and feeling no pain!

Edit to add: My buddy who was with me just told me that he thought that the bullet may have blown up when it hit one of the GS's arms (which were in front of it).

Eric B)

#9 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,554 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

I have no sound reasoning as to why bullets do what they do on impact. My only thought would be that it was a short shot & the bullet hadn't lost any velocity on impact. Which caused the tiny bullet to explode prematurely on bone impact. Your buddy could very well be correct in bullet placement on the arm plus the breast bone was right behind it adding more bone mass. Todays bullets are designed to be more violent inside than ever before so I can see where bone could be a problem even on small critters. I wouldn't worry about that one shot too much. But I would start trying for head shots to see if you could replicate these happenings on a more solid area of the squirrel. Which bullet were you using & what is available?

#10 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 1,375 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:59 AM

Glen...You say you have seen that with .22 WMR? Amazing Eric. Impact was devastating. Have you tried any of the HP ammo yet?

#11 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:35 AM

I shot a bunch of Prairie Dogs with the same round (17WSM - 20 grain V-Max - 2950fps) and had the opposite result, even on head shots. I think you guys are correct that a combination of the arm bone and the chest bone (do squirrels have a big sternum?) probably caused the bullet to blow up on the outside. The exit wound in the back also shows that a piece of something went right through?

Mike - No HP ammo available yet for the 17WSM. I haven't tried the 25 grain V-Max bullets either, so those may have different results as well.

Eric B)

#12 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,554 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Yeah that bullet is cookin out across the landscape & todays bullets are soooo fragile nowadays. I'm also wondering if maybe a piece of bone didn't make that exit wound. I know tree squirrels have very little for sternums but the arm added in might be the difference. It's been a long time since I seen that Mike. It was back when I had an old Chuckster. Pre Varminter.com days for me. If I remember correctly it was a CCI HP offering. Maybe a 35gr'er. Had it happen 2-3 maybe 4 times on chest shot groundhogs. Never knew why. I was just happy to see their insides on the outside. B)

#13 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 1,375 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Never knew why. I was just happy to see their insides on the outside. B)

Yeah, that'll make a happy face every time :tonguecamo:

#14 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,089 posts
  • Local time: 04:34 PM
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

It sure did a fine job.

#15 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 594 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Is easy to tell which one was the exit hole.