Photo

Savage B.MAG in 17WSM - Prairie Dog Hunting - Video Added!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,589 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Another report is in the pipeline, but here's a few pictures from the trip. Video has been added!!:

First Prairie Dog kill with the B.MAG:
Savage-BMAG-Prairie-Dog-Hunt-1.jpg

Ground Squirrel kill with the B.MAG:
Savage-BMAG-Prairie-Dog-Hunt-2.jpg

Cottontail Rabbit kill with the B.MAG:
Savage-BMAG-Prairie-Dog-Hunt-3.jpg

Another Prairie Dog kill with the Savage B.MAG:
Savage-BMAG-Prairie-Dog-Hunt-4.jpg

Yet Another Prairie Dog kill with the Savage B.MAG:
Savage-BMAG-Prairie-Dog-Hunt-5.jpg

Savage B.MAG - 3 shot group at 100 yards:
Savage-BMAG-Prairie-Dog-Hunt-6.jpg

It was an interesting trip, with lots of opportunities and some awesome scenery. The Savage B.MAG and the .17 Winchester Super Magnum performed very well, but I'll discuss more in the upcoming story!

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread.

Eric B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I wanted to add the split case as well:

Savage-BMAG-Prairie-Dog-Hunt-8.jpg

Eric B)

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#3 Jbotto

Jbotto

Varminter

• 466 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

How long between shots for that group, Eric?
"No experience is so conductive for steady and accurate shooting as the knowledge of the impossibility to escape by speed."
-Sir Samuel Baker

Previously hunterotto91. You guys might recognize Jbotto from a few other places...

#4 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

That was three shots a few seconds apart.

Eric B)

#5 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,628 posts
  • Local time: 06:30 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Looks like it's a little home wrecker for sure. Just what I expected it to do. Nice!!

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#6 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 1,452 posts
  • Local time: 04:30 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

Looks like it's a little home wrecker for sure.

:lol: :lol: Looks good Eric...Look forward to the story. BTW...I meant to add that this months American Rifleman magazine has a lengthy article on the B.Mag

Edited by MikeNC, 29 July 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#7 Jbotto

Jbotto

Varminter

• 466 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Good deal Eric! Here I was a bit worried it was going to be like a hot .243... one you have to let cool down a bit between shots in a group. Shows definite promise! Yeah, the American Rifleman article was a decent one!
"No experience is so conductive for steady and accurate shooting as the knowledge of the impossibility to escape by speed."
-Sir Samuel Baker

Previously hunterotto91. You guys might recognize Jbotto from a few other places...

#8 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

I just added a video to the first post.

Enjoy!

Eric B)

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,263 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

Video was great and really liked the intro with the crumbling wall. Still very lethal at 264yds.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#10 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,628 posts
  • Local time: 06:30 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Knocks the snot outta them critters for sure!! Nice air time!!

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#11 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,153 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 AM
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

great video

-----~  <*(((((><

#12 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 726 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

I sure do enjoy those videos, Eric! I'm going to show them to my brother when he visits. We both shoot Savage HMR rifles and we are really fired up since I received my Savage WSM BAG rifle..

#13 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 726 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

Great videos, Eric!

#14 onegreatshot

onegreatshot

Varminter

• 51 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything, fishing were there are fish, Drinking fine wine and Smoking cheap cigars,Had to give up the Cigars.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Eric, I would like to run a couple of questions by you on the 17 Win. Mag. #1) what was the day time temp when you did the sight in? #2) where can one find the field pod that was shown in the photos? The temp question was asked because I purchased my 17 Mag. in July and went to the Pro Gun range outside of Vegas and did a sight in at both 100 and 200 yards. When I was through I felt like putting the gun in the trash can and walking away. Fired some 100 rounds and my smallest group was approx. 6 inches. The barrel got very hot after 3 rounds fired and was all over the place. I wiped it down with wet rags and let it set for a short period and after the first round which was on target (bullseye) it was again all over the place. The 25 gr. bullets being the worst. I then went to Montana in Oct. and again sighted in at a 100 yard range in 40+ degree weather and the rifle was completely different I too shot dime size groups with the 20 gr. and had a couple fliers with the 25 gr..rounds. Did you experience any of these problems???? I might say that in the northeast part of Montana 17 B mag ammo is easy to find and at a low price. Your field pod looks lot better that than shooting sticks. Thanks for any reply.

#15 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

No problem. Let me answer your questions:

1) It was probably in the low to mid-70's when sighted-in the first time, but in the mid-80's when sighted-in out in Arizona at 100 yards.

2) Here is a direct link to the product in Amazon. I am going to do a review in the near future, since I am getting so many questions about it.

-------
There are so many different thoughts on why some rifles are not shooting well, but the temperature issue might be well-founded. I wrote in one of my articles that the groups opened up the hotter the barrel got. The tiny barrel on the Savage may be the reason for this, but I am not sure. I have yet to shoot a bunch of rounds at a time out of my Contender (23" semi-bull barrel), so I don't have anything to dispute that theory. Your information adds to that theory.

The ammo is another funny thing. Some folks have great results with the 20 grain bullets (as do I) and others only have good results with the 25 grain bullets. I know each rifle shoots ammo differently, but this stark difference leaves me scratching my head.

I know this doesn't help much, but it is what I can offer. I would love to know some hard numbers on how many are having issues with their rifles. Maybe I'll put up a poll for folks to vote on?

Eric B)