Photo

Winchester - Worlds Fastest Rimfire Cartridge Coming Soon!

Winchester New Rimfire Worlds Fastest Rimfire

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,673 posts
  • Local time: 07:02 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hey guys,

I was trying to get more information on this, but there is little available. Winchester announced that they are releasing the "world's fastest rimfire", with the announcement coming on January 1, 2013.

winchester-new-rimfire.jpg

From what I was told last week, this will be a NEW caliber and at least one rifle manufacturer has committed to chamber a rifle for it (CZ would be nice, but doubtful).

My guess is either a .20 Caliber (necked down .22 Magnum) with a light bullet, or... a .14 Caliber (doubtful). Since the Centurion 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum is already pushing their Varmint ammunition at over 2500 feet per second, with a 30 grain bullet, we know that it is definitely doable to surpass the 2550 feet per second that the 17 HMR reaches.

Any thoughts or speculation is welcome and feel free to re-post this elsewhere (please give us some type of credit).

Eric B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts
  • Local time: 08:02 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

hmmm, ?

5mm magnum necked down to .17 with a bullet made of compressed pencil shavings.

Edited by Red, 05 December 2012 - 08:59 AM.

Protector of the nuts.

#3 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Maybe!! :lol: But, it is supposed to be a new caliber.

What would blow me away, is if they were able to do it with a .25 Caliber Rimfire! Lots of airguns are now chambered in the .25, so people are seeing the benefit. It would be very interesting!

Eric B)

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Yes it will be interesting to see what it is, what ever it is.

While the rest of the world seems to want faster & flatter rimfire cartridges (and I understand why), I still gravitate to the slow steady subsonic .22lr for most jobs around here. Now a subsonic .25 - That I could enjoy !!

ooh ooh just occurred to me. It could be a .25 cal case necked to .20cal/5mm. These days .20 cal barrel blanks are readily available so why not?

Edited by Red, 05 December 2012 - 01:49 PM.

Protector of the nuts.

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think it would be wise of Winchester to follow Hornady's lead and stick to available, currently manufactured cases. That way, a slight tweak in the shoulder and they are ready to go. Retooling takes way too much time and money.

But what do I know...? <_<

Eric B)

#6 GrandLordKhorne

GrandLordKhorne

Varminter

• 378 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

It will be interesting to see what it is, but frankly I feel like there are too many cartridges already and anything new will just be noise unless it’s really innovative. I could see myself excited about a subsonic 6mm or sort of a 6mm equivalent of .22LR, something along that lines.

Great examples of the noise I’m talking about are all the WSSM, SAUM and WSM rounds. The vast bulk of them just copy an existing rounds performance in a shorter case. So you save a pound on your rifle but gain no performance edge, eat barrels faster, loos capacity in the mag and now there are more rounds on the shelf to pick from… I really don’t know why manufacturers are doing such things other than trying to create buzz for their product line. If it is something completely different, that fills a nitch not already reasonably covered than I will be excited, otherwise it is just annoying. As far as a higher velocity round, frankly there are already some fantastic centerfires in the smaller range that cover that, plus I can load them as I please where a rimfire your stuck with factory loads for the most part.

Sorry to complain, but as a part time gunsmith, I will get a flood of customers asking about the new round, praising it before they own it, buying a rifle for it and then trying to sell me back the rifles when they figure out it’s the same as something they already own but with more costly ammo. Oh and when they sell the rifle back, even though I didn’t recommend it, I’m the one that gets the brunt of how it was a dumb idea because I sold it to them. Unless it is really innovative, than I can get on board.

Bankers, the next gen of Varmint... There like racoons, only around when your not and always messing up your stuff...

#7 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,854 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

I am very interested in this new offering. I really enjoy shooting the rimfires & know I can get my Grandkids started on them with exceptional accuracy to hold their attention in the beginning. I think it takes a lotta stones to release a new caliber in these times & I applaud Winchester & the other company for taking this financil leap of Faith in it's customer base.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

As far as a higher velocity round, frankly there are already some fantastic centerfires in the smaller range that cover that, plus I can load them as I please where a rimfire your stuck with factory loads for the most part.

there are situations where a rimfire is the only legal rifle that can be used. WMA areas around here for example and some other state lands. A more powerfull rimfire would intrigue me. If it's only "faster" without more energy then I personally wouldn't be as apt to run out and buy one.

I am very interested in this new offering. I really enjoy shooting the rimfires & know I can get my Grandkids started on them with exceptional accuracy to hold their attention in the beginning. I think it takes a lotta stones to release a new caliber in these times & I applaud Winchester & the other company for taking this financil leap of Faith in it's customer base.

absolutely

Protector of the nuts.

#9 GrandLordKhorne

GrandLordKhorne

Varminter

• 378 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

As far as a higher velocity round, frankly there are already some fantastic centerfires in the smaller range that cover that, plus I can load them as I please where a rimfire your stuck with factory loads for the most part.

there are situations where a rimfire is the only legal rifle that can be used. WMA areas around here for example and some other state lands. A more powerfull rimfire would intrigue me. If it's only "faster" without more energy then I personally wouldn't be as apt to run out and buy one.

That’s actually why I’m saying something in a 6mm would interest me. But it is not that it needs to be faster, it needs to have stopping power. Just based on Winchester saying it is the fastest rimfire rather than the most powerful makes me feel like we are going to get a 22WMR necked down to shoot .005 pencil leads.

To me it is like the advent of the .17’s. When I think back to the .17’s coming out I looked at the 17HMR and the 17 Mach2 and felt like the HMR made sens because it filled a flat shooting longer reach cartridge for small game, but the Mach2 really didn’t make a lot of sens to me. It left me feeling like they necked down the 22LR because they had done it with the 22WMR and wanted to release them as a set.

Realistically in my mind the .22LR serves a grate basic small game hunting round. The .22WMR adds some range and some power for small predators and the larger end of the small game. The .17HMR is good for taking small animals at much longer distances than you normally would with a .22WMR. What is lacking from the rimfire world is something that pushes a heavier bullet at reasonable speeds to give it more stopping power. Almost like loading the 60gr bullets from Aguila’s sub sonic into a WMR length format to give it more definitive performance on the tougher end of small game. Truth be told anything smaller than the .17 for the sake of more speed would be pretty useless for hunting and if they build a .22 that is a hair faster than the .17HMR than why not call it the most powerful. That is why I’m sort of skeptic.

Bankers, the next gen of Varmint... There like racoons, only around when your not and always messing up your stuff...

#10 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,130 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

well I'm curious to see what it is and I'll try not to speculate what it may or may not be until I see it.

I have a machII and I would agree that I can't personally find a legitimate use for it. Though I know people who have. The same goes for the HMR as it doesn't provide me with anything the 22M can't already do. However, it extends the range for prairie dog / ground squirrel shooters who use them.

Protector of the nuts.

#11 Guest_andy1300_*

Guest_andy1300_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I too will be guessing its a .20 caliber necked down from the .22 Mag...

#12 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,854 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

How awesome would a 30gr'er clipping along around 2600fps be?? :wub:

Personally I don't think a new cartridge has to fill a niche for anybody. I'm just glad the manufacturers are putting their Faith in us to make it work for them. A new idea that never comes to fruition is only a dream. Companies close their doors if all they do is dream. I think keeping an open mind on this round will benefit everybody. As far as the "Worlds fastest RF" goes,,, well,,, speed sells.

And if it's not too far out of line $$ wise I will be ordering a Swift Premier 4-12x40 to set on top of it. B)

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#13 troutbum

troutbum

Varminter

• Editor
  • 1,719 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 AM
  • Interests:Fly-Fishing and Tying, varmint hunting

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Since we are guessing I guess it will be a larger cased 20 sort of a 5mm rimfire mag. on steroids with a very light bullet.

-----~  <*(((((><

#14 opie1722

opie1722

Varminter

• 206 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

well i am going to have to say that i have been noticing an increasing trend in 14cal notably the 221 fire ball necked down to 14 and called the 14walker and also other cases of about the same size. found some rounds that were 22lr cases necked down to 14cal so my guess is going to be a 22mag/17hmr case necked down to 14cal. the bullets are probley going to be anywhere from 10-17gr however i think that the most common weight is going to be in the 10-12gr range. well these are just what i am thinking however i could be off by so much have fun hope this helps.

-Opie

P.S. here is a link to a sight all about really small calibers
http://14caliber.com/index.asp

Edited by opie323, 07 December 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#15 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,298 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say either an .18 or .19, based on the teaser that it's a NEW caliber. Anything else is kinda silly small, and too hard to maintain (bore cleaning, etc.) for us lazy folks.
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................