• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 holliewood

holliewood

Varminter

• 31 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

I recently took delivery of my newest target rifle/ critter gitter. A Ruger m77 mkII Target rifle chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. First of all I'm not crazy about the look of the newer Target rifles with the "target gray" finish and the black laminate stock. I very much prefer the raw stainless finish and brown laminate of my other Target rifles but looks don't affect the way it shoots. The rifle comes with the new 2 stage trigger which I'm also not crazy about it has a mile of take up and a decent amount of creep but it very little over travel. The first thing I did when getting home was pull the trigger out break out the files and polish and got to work. I was able to get all the take up out and get a crisp break with a trigger bpull of 18oz I deemed it acceptable. step 2 was taking it to the gunsmith to have a proper 8 degree crown put on. Step 3 was the glass. I found a great deal on a BSA platnium 8x32x44 scope which is great for the very modest price. So it was time to hit the range. I decided to go with the Hornady custom 140 gr A-max. The great thing about this ammo is that they put the load recipe on the box so you can sight in with it and then go home and work up the exact same load. Once at the range I mounted up a set of Harris hi-pods and got to work. For being a heavy rifle I was a little suprised at the amount of recoil. It wasn't excessive or unpleasant just more than I was expecting. The closer I got to dead center the more impressed I was. Once I was done tinkering with the scope I was able to shoot consistent 100 yrd 4 shot groups at less than 1/2 inch with my best being 1 ragged hole measuring about 3/8 inch. All in all with a little bit of work involved I am very pleased with this rifle. It's extremly accurate, pleasurable to shoot, and most of all reasonably priced. I believe its one of the best firearm buys I've made.

#2 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,596 posts
  • Local time: 12:48 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Glad to hear your new rig gets a good nod of approval!! Got any pics of her that you would like to share with us??!! :D

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#3 holliewood

holliewood

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

I'll get some pics up soon glen.

#4 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,596 posts
  • Local time: 12:48 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

:D :D

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#5 MarinePMI

MarinePMI

Tech/Guns Editor

• Editor
  • 836 posts
  • Local time: 07:48 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

Nice rig, and a good caliber for sure. Mine is a Savage Model 10 Patrol Carbine, rebarreled with a 3 groove Pac-Nor 1-8.5" twist, and a Leupold Mk-4 LR/T scope. This gun consistently amazes me in the accuracy department. Got to swing by Creedmoor Sports this Friday for more brass...

DSCF0973_web.jpg

Edited by MarinePMI, 23 April 2012 - 04:08 AM.

MarinePMI
"Despite our ever-changing, ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and sythentic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by a restless wind blowing across sunlit water and beneath star-strewn sky. And on those occasions when I choose to kill,....I do so by choice, quickly, and with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter." -- M. R. James