• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 turboken77

turboken77

Varminter

• 5 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

any one know where i can go to hunt ground squrrels in southern california??? willing to driv a few hours if i have to get a good place

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,555 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Where in SoCal?

Eric. B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#3 turboken77

turboken77

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

iam in the riverside area willing to travel lil bit

#4 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,555 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Have you tried the Temecula area? I was just speaking with a guy who said the vineyards out there hold them. Also, I've seen them down by the Salton Sea. It's probably easier to get permission down by the Sea.

My suggestion to everyone is to open up some maps online, then make a day trip down to the areas you already mapped out. Bring something to hand out to land owners so they can get a hold of you.

Eric B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#5 Sharps45-120

Sharps45-120

Varminter

• 130 posts
  • Interests:Precision Reloading, Varmint shooting - Sage Rats, Rock Chucks Prairie Dogs, Etc., Target shooting, Gunstock making.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

I do not know about So.Calif. But I used to live in Friant, outside Fresno, Calif. & there were lots of ground squirrels there. Madera area also & surrounding areas. They also have those long eared Jack Rabbits that are a blast to shoot & the ranchers & farmers hate them as well. I would suggest you post some bulleting board ads or paper ads. Many ranchers gave me pertmission to shoot them. I shot one are so much I quit checking it for many months as none came back. I now live in Oregon, just outside of Sunriver,Oregon. I drove 3 hours to the other side of Burns, Oregon to shoot Sage Rats. They are a ground squirrel that everyone calls "sage rats" so their wives & the liberals & etc. don't mind "RATS" being shot. These squirrels are about 3 to 4 inches tall & about 1+ inches across max with a short 2 inch or so tail. Some are smart, most are stupid. I shot just under 400 sage rats last sunday & monday. Sunday I used a 17 MACH II, 17gr & Monday a 17 HMR 17gr. I dispatched 4 Rock Chucks (Marmots, Wood Chucks, Rock Chucks are all the same). The critter called "Puncatonny Phil" is a Rock Chuck, they use to check if spring is coming or winter will hang on. Came home tired but pleased with the results as was the ranch owner. Hope you find a place to shoot. Some ranchers charge $75 to $150 a day to shoot. I do not go there. Most of the guys that go there take big game rifles shooting 300 mags & 338 mags & bigger & the hunt arranger says they hit the critter even if they missed as the recoil knocks them off & they don't know differently. They drive them around the ranch on flatbed trucks or pickups with a platform & railing with covers to keep the sun from baking them. I know because I met some at a camp & talked with them. Most were from back east that paid big bucks to fly in & stay at these places & shoot loooonng distances & kill (miss) critters. I shoot 17 Mach II, 17 HMR, 17 Remington & 204Ruger. I can see what I hit when I shoot. No recoil problems & no sore shoulder either. I also killed a Buffalo with the 17 Remington with one shot to the neck at about 75+ yards as it started to vacate the area. Great eating & I have pic's & a skull for the wall. as soon as I figure out how to town down the pixels so I can load pic's I will do so on Chucks, Rats & Buffalo. I have a friend down in your area that is a shooter as well. I will ask him if he knows of any places around there as well.