15 replies to this topic

#1 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• 711 posts
  • Local time: 03:36 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

From left to right...

Ruger 10-22 synthetic: I use this when I'm mushroom picking for ground squirrels,rabbits,grouse.

RWS 350 magnum in .22: (Air rifle) Back yard inner city pest control. (Crows,starlings,ect)

Remington 592 5MM rimfire: Ground squirrels,Jack rabbits, anything else that gets in the way.

Mossberg 640ka 22 mag.Chuckster: Loaner for when I'm using the above.

Ruger Cabelas 50th anniversary 10-22. Hmmm Hate to scratch up that stock! Ok Target practice.

jc higgins single shot s-l-lr: Using subs or cb caps on bigger inner city vermin Coons possums when noise is an issue.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2019.JPG

Edited by sixshooter, 13 February 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,301 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

all very nice but I gotta say I think I like the Higgins best!

That old 592 looks to be in very good condition for it's age.

Edited by Red, 13 February 2012 - 01:52 PM.

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow~

#3 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Yes Red for being what it is its actually quite accurate. The trigger is quite horrible. I just put one of my Less desirable scopes on it. Spruced it up quite nicely. The 5MM is in excellent shape but the finish is quite brittle and scratches easily. It will be getting some new skin soon when I figure out the best thing to put on it.

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,301 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

satin polyuerathane in a spray can looks nice and easy to use.

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow~

#5 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

From left to right...

Ruger 10-22 synthetic: I use this when I'm mushroom picking for ground squirrels,rabbits,grouse.

RWS 350 magnum in .22: (Air rifle) Back yard inner city pest control. (Crows,starlings,ect)

Remington 592 5MM rimfire: Ground squirrels,Jack rabbits, anything else that gets in the way.

Ruger Cabelas 50th anniversary 10-22. Hmmm Hate to scratch up that stock! Ok Target practice.

jc higgins single shot s-l-lr: Using subs or cb caps on bigger inner city vermin Coons possums when noise is an issue.

Good grief I totally forgot to add this one in. Winchester model 61 s-l-lr I dont use this one much but it is deadly accurate.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2022.JPG

Edited by sixshooter, 13 February 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#6 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

From left to right...

Good grief I totally forgot to add this one in Winchester model 61 s-l-lr I dont use this one much bit it is deadly accurate.

Hello my Name is Greg I'm a Rimfireaholic. :biggrincamo:

#7 Old Hawkeye

Old Hawkeye

Varminter

• 185 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Yes Red for being what it is its actually quite accurate. The trigger is quite horrible. I just put one of my Less desirable scopes on it. Spruced it up quite nicely. The 5MM is in excellent shape but the finish is quite brittle and scratches easily. It will be getting some new skin soon when I figure out the best thing to put on it.

Look into Arrow Oil from Miracle Products International out of Wisconsin. Puts a beautiful low luster oil finish on the wood & is easy to touch up any scratches or dings you get later. Really seals the wood & brings out the figure/grain. Easy to use too!!

#8 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 711 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Look into Arrow Oil from Miracle Products International out of Wisconsin. Puts a beautiful low luster oil finish on the wood & is easy to touch up any scratches or dings you get later. Really seals the wood & brings out the figure/grain. Easy to use too!!

I will look that up thanks Hawkeye

#9 Which Way Out

Which Way Out

Varminter

• 36 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Nice selection of fun..

My wife said today after a buddy called and told me of another purchase that he made, "He sure has a lot of guns" I don't think she has totaled what I have yet :biggrincamo:
l
l____ ____
l/|.__,[____],
l---L -=OlllllllO_
()_) --()_)--~---)_)

#10 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,651 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:46 AM

:confusedcamo: Sorry I somehow missed this post.

Nice lineup you have there!! B)

My Wife knows the safe combo & knows what is in it. And if I allow her to have her way there will be another new rig in there this summer. :D :D

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#11 Pecci

Pecci

Varminter

• 218 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 PM
  • Interests:My Faith, My Family, My Friends, My Firearms & My Forecast.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

I have your Mossy's twin, from Westernfield. The first new gun ever bought for me, as a kid. It's quirky & different. I used to clean it with the old gun cleaning kit, from the wrong end, and wondered why it wasn't accurate. About 5 yrs. ago, I had the 24" barrel cut & crowned at 22". It is now MOA @ 100yrds. w/ the 40 gr. ammo. It always will be my favorite gun. Not the best, certainly ... but my favorite. The memories go a long way with that rifle.

#12 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

I have your Mossy's twin, from Westernfield. The first new gun ever bought for me, as a kid. It's quirky & different. I used to clean it with the old gun cleaning kit, from the wrong end, and wondered why it wasn't accurate. About 5 yrs. ago, I had the 24" barrel cut & crowned at 22". It is now MOA @ 100yrds. w/ the 40 gr. ammo. It always will be my favorite gun. Not the best, certainly ... but my favorite. The memories go a long way with that rifle.

Sweet! I dont shoot it much but looking forward to getting some of the new ammo for it. Cleaning from the wrong end is not that bad unless you are using a steel rod. it would take hundreds of cleanings with an aluminum rod to cause any wear on the steel of the barrel. I use to work with stainless sheet metal. It had a blue plastic film on it we used sharpened copper to cut that film off the stainless. never could make a scratch in it. I have cleaned some of my guns for years from THE WRONG end with no effect on accuracy. Chances aren the crown or something else was the cause of the accuracy problems. I am glad to hear that you are geting that kind of accuracy now. I am having trouble putting a scope on mine because of eye relief troubles but it a nice rifle and is pretty accurate. :biggrincamo:

#13 Pecci

Pecci

Varminter

• 218 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

I used an old WWII army cleaning kit. I'm pretty sure it was steel. It was kept in an old green, narrow sack, closed with a draw string. My dad wasn't around and I was only 12 or 13, thus clueless. Yeah, the eye relief on that shooter, is a stretch (literally)! You can put a shotgun scope on. That gives you a couple x-tra inches. I found a scope that works pretty well, but can't remember what it was, right now. If you want I can check it out for you.

#14 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

I used an old WWII army cleaning kit. I'm pretty sure it was steel. It was kept in an old green, narrow sack, closed with a draw string. My dad wasn't around and I was only 12 or 13, thus clueless. Yeah, the eye relief on that shooter, is a stretch (literally)! You can put a shotgun scope on. That gives you a couple x-tra inches. I found a scope that works pretty well, but can't remember what it was, right now. If you want I can check it out for you.

Thanks Pecci I am looking to try and find some mounts that will let me bring the scope back about an inch and I will go from there. I hope it is enough. as I have to really crane my neck forward to get a good view through any scope I put on the darn thing.

#15 Pecci

Pecci

Varminter

• 218 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Something like this might help. You'd have to find the right one, though.

http://www.midwayusa...rear-gloss-high