• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,263 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

A 2 or 3 week wait for that one last very important piece is going to seem like an eternity

Posted Image

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#2 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 1,452 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

What in God's name have you got there Red...I want one :freakedcamo:

#3 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,263 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Here are a couple links Mike. Basically it's a 300Whisper or 300-221. Ammo/dies, etc. are readily available and made on the 223 case instead of the 221FB brass. It fits the fairly strict criteria that the state of IL has in place regarding deer hunting with a handgun.

http://www.thetrutha...0-aac-blackout/

http://300aacblackout.com/

#4 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,630 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

That thing has to have a 0-0" twist for all the longer that rig is!! :lol:

Is that action blasted? I like the looks of the SS bead blasted actions.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#5 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,263 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

:lol:

It is not Stainless. It's their "Weathershield" coating, supposed to be 50 times more corrosion resistant than stainless! Which is exactly what a guy like me needs :unsure: The barrel will be bead blasted stainless.

#6 Wes

Wes

Varminter

• 23 posts
  • Local time: 04:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Red,

That's one intersting project you've got going. Now all you need is the suppressed barrel and you'll be good to go...

How does the round stack up against the 7.62 X 39mm?

Haven't played with Contenders for years, but yours makes me want to start again...

Wes

#7 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,630 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

Well I like the looks of it either way!! It's gonna be a sharp rig for sure. B) Those grips look purdy grippy too. They appear to be,, uuhhmmmm "rubbery" I guess I'm thinking. Whatcha gonna use for glass?

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,263 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:48 AM

Wes, A suppressor would be ideal. Unfortunately, there's no way to get a Suppressor here in this Oppressed state that I know of. I'm guessing the 7.62x39 would be a tad more powerfull. The 7.62 x 39 is over the maximum bottleneck case length required by IL (1.4")to legally deer hunt. The Blackout is 1.39"

Glen, I gonna "Borrow" my sons Nikon VSD B) He's not using it anyway and as long as I let him shoot this...he really has no choice but to be fine with it :D

#9 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,630 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

:lol:

:blink: Better be careful Mike!! I might be old, foolish, & lacking in the memory department but I never forgot the look on your face when the words "nursing home" were uttered at the breakfast table!! :rofl: :rofl:

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#10 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,263 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

:lol: hey wait, it's not that funny :huh:

I can't seem to locate a Lee case length gauge. I made a single piece of brass from 223, this is really quite easy. Except I need that darned case length gauge to square them up.

#11 1shot_1Kill

1shot_1Kill

Varminter

• 109 posts
  • Local time: 05:28 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

The guy I know with the whisper bought his cases from someone for pretty reasonable. I'll find out where it was and let you know. He uses all once fired win. 223 brass and they seem to be real consistent.
[B]Born to hunt, forced to work[FONT=Times][COLOR=red]

#12 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,630 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

On your 300AAC Balackout link there is a SAAMI spec sheet for the brass. Will that help?

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#13 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,263 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

The guy I know with the whisper bought his cases from someone for pretty reasonable. I'll find out where it was and let you know. He uses all once fired win. 223 brass and they seem to be real consistent.

Yeah that's what I plan to do. I have tons of 223 brass and that's what I made the first one from. Possum Hollow has a trimmer. These work very well as I've used them in the past for other calibers, just more money than I needed to spend on this at about $30. The Lee trim gauge is only like $5 if I could find one in stock someplace. Midway lists them as out of stock until July! I e mailed Lee so we'll see what they say.

Lee gauge on left / Possum Hollow on right.

Update; Lee sez 8 weeks for a custom gauge (extra cost and shipping) even though they make the dies...they just sort of leave it there with no way to your trim brass <_< Possum Hollow Trimmer is ordered.

Attached Thumbnails

• trim gauge.jpg
  • kwick.jpg

Edited by Red, 20 January 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#14 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,263 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

You're not gonna believe this crap. The barrel showed up today, very nice. So after work I was anxious to get the thing installed of course. It was very very tight to close and that's where I made the mistake. It closed so tight I can't even open it back up! I mean not at all, even when I use my super extravaganza gorilla force over the knee type thing.

so dadburnit, I sent MGM an e mail. I guess the whole gun needs to go back to them. I wish I hadn't forced it shut, but it still wouldn't be correct even if I had not.

#15 MarinePMI

MarinePMI

Tech/Guns Editor

• Editor
  • 836 posts
  • Local time: 05:28 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

Probably the neck on your brass Red. From .223 cases the .300 Whisper may need a slight neck turn. That would easily explain the stuck case.

JMTCW...

I think you and Andy will be trading notes soon, as he's about to receive a barrel and dies in .300 Whisper...

Edited by MarinePMI, 16 February 2012 - 05:39 AM.

MarinePMI
"Despite our ever-changing, ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and sythentic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by a restless wind blowing across sunlit water and beneath star-strewn sky. And on those occasions when I choose to kill,....I do so by choice, quickly, and with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter." -- M. R. James