Shot A 17 Hornet Today - Hornady's New Caliber - Photos Now Added

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 ArkyKen

ArkyKen

Varminter

• 10 posts
  • Local time: 03:58 PM
  • Interests:Hunting,Fishing,Shooting,cycles and BlueGrass !

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Very Cool ! Now I need to find someone to rechamber a 17 hmr contender barrel for me so I can get started w/ new factory ammo -- that will hold me till CZ comes through, Ha !!

#17 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 09:58 AM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Oh boy that had me biting at the bit,I'm looking at this caliber as an option so I can have some fox furs with no big holes in them, my 6.5 100 grainers are making a mess of the fox's I've shot lately. When I say mess, I mean nothing left worth skinning off the carcass.
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It’s somebody who doesn’t believe there’s a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#18 powerpoint

powerpoint

Varminter

• 6 posts
  • Local time: 04:58 PM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

All these companies currently have a .22 Hornet in their rifle lines, so a new barrel and some adjustments is not a big deal. The 5mm on the other hand...

Eric B)

Eric, Great post, Thanks.
My local gun dealer attended a dealer show 01-2012. When he quized the CZ factory guys about building a rifle chambered in 17 Hornet.
Their responce was, sure if you want 400 of them... so that my be a little slow in coming dowh the pike.
Had a 17 Ackley Hornet built last year, on a Ruger 77/22 Hornet. I kinda like those Rugers, that 17 Hornet would be a good choice, for me.

Rugers pictured top to bottom are 77/22 Hormet, 77/22 17 Ackley Hornet, and a 22 LR Race Rifle.

That 5 MM could of, should of, but didn't.
But I did. 2nd pix Savage rimfire, now in that 5 MM.

powerpoint

p.s. Do like them CZ's pix 3
1957 22LR
17HMR Varmit
22LR Scout

Attached Thumbnails

• Ruger s (p1).JPG
  • Savage 93  5MM rimfire ( + 22lr NAA ) (p1).JPG
  • CZ's (p1).JPG

#19 nantan2

nantan2

Varminter

• 99 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Had a great day today. Met up with Tim M. and Andy M. at the Aguila booth, along with Lowell (5mm Craig) and Jim Saubier (great guy!). I also received the cable to my camera so I could upload these pictures!

Ammo:

Posted Image

Savage M-25 Rifle:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ruger 17 Hornet Prototype (we may not see this one for a long while):

Posted Image

Lots of ammo to shoot!

Posted Image

Eric B)

Crap, I don't think I can wait until 2013 for Ruger to get their act together. Probably going to have Fred Smith at Bullberry build me a barrel for the Encore. :pissedcamo:

#20 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• 710 posts
  • Local time: 02:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Sorry folks that savage rifle looks liks a bad poke in the eye LOL. All other things considered its a nice looking rifle and all I just cant get past that :unsurecamo: BOLT!

#21 fredhorace77

fredhorace77

Varminter

• 85 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

Must admit I am a huge savage fan but i agree they have got to be some of the ugliest looking rifles out

#22 nantan2

nantan2

Varminter

• 99 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I just couldn't hold my nose and buy a savage. And I don't have the patients to wait on Ruger and CZ, so I called up Fred Smith at Bullberry in Hurricane, Utah today and ordered a barrel for my Encore in .17 Hornet. 23" Stainless, 1" full bull out to muzzle (not a walk around gun, but I do most of my PD shooting from the truck), so no worries. Has a 1:10 twist. They are also going to mount a one piece 6 hole base and 30mm rings. I'm sending them a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 to mount on this baby. They said that they are only about 2-3 months out on barrel work now (which beats the last barrel I ordered...and waited 6 months). So, I should be up and running just in time for the opener of the PD season here in Utah, which is June 16th. I had to retire my Ruger M77 in .243 from the varmint fields. It's got close to 3K rounds through it, and the accuracy is starting to slip. Still work o.k. for one of my kids to thump a deer once a year for the rest of their lives. So...the .17 will replace the .243 in my varmint battery. I've had the .17 Ackley Hornet on my "bucket list" for many years, but now I just don't feel like messing with an AI, I just want to load some 20 Grain V-Max's up at 3650 (plenty fast), and take out PD's. If I feel the need for more speed, I'll pull out my .17 Remington! Seems like I purchase most of my new guns in February. What else is there to do? It's nice to have a new gun in the works. Like most things in life anticipation is half the fun. :biggrincamo:

#23 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,259 posts
  • Local time: 05:58 PM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Sorry folks that savage rifle looks liks a bad poke in the eye LOL. All other things considered its a nice looking rifle and all I just cant get past that :unsurecamo: BOLT!

I agree those big bolt knobs are gaudy. After a few 8 hour days of shooting prairie dogs the giant handle is more appreciated as it's easy on the fingers and a normal sized one seems rediculously small.

Model 25 though...I dunno? They're not real handsome.

Edited by Red, 24 February 2012 - 07:56 PM.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#24 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• 710 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

I agree those big bolt knobs are gaudy. After a few 8 hour days of shooting prairie dogs the giant handle is more appreciated as it's easy on the fingers and a normal sized one seems rediculously small.

I just see how far that bolt comes back and cringe. I guess it would be ok if you are shooting from a bench but.... I dont hunt that way and probably never will. I'll stick with my 788 22-250 and learn to shoot it well. Other wise my walking guns are my 5mm rimfire and my 10-22's. I hunt varmints like I hunt big game! S.pot and stalk or still hunting slowly through likely cover.

#25 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,259 posts
  • Local time: 05:58 PM

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

I just see how far that bolt comes back and cringe. I guess it would be ok if you are shooting from a bench but.... I dont hunt that way and probably never will. I'll stick with my 788 22-250 and learn to shoot it well. Other wise my walking guns are my 5mm rimfire and my 10-22's. I hunt varmints like I hunt big game! S.pot and stalk or still hunting slowly through likely cover.

yep yep looks like it would poke you in the eye. Kinda crazy looking for sure. Seems like a lot of bolt travel for such a short cartridge huh. I don't believe I've ever held a mdl 25

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#26 deathwind II

deathwind II

Varminter

• 92 posts
  • Local time: 06:58 PM

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hey, Eric; how loud is the report of that .17 hornet? Does it make more noise than a .22H? I need something quieter than my .221 FB for built-up areas, but with more "reach" than a .22 Hornet.

#27 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

I thought it was pretty quiet, compared to some of the other guns being shot around me. Because I had ears on over ear-plugs, I would not be able to be specific. I do think that it is about the same as the 22 Hornet (which I have shot in the past with the same double ear plug set-up).

Eric B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#28 40gr Yote Pill

40gr Yote Pill

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Does anyone else make ammo for this other than Hornady?

#29 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

No. However, you can reload for the one of the other various Hornet "Wildcats" out there, such as the 17 Ackley Hornet, etc, but all may not work in the 17 Hornady Hornet chamber, so a custom barrel would be the required route.

Eric B)

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#30 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• 710 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Anybody have a price range on the m25 17h? anyone got one yet?