70 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,691 posts
  • Local time: 01:57 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

I got to shoot two rifles chambered in the new 17 Hornet by Hornady! The first was a Savage M-25. It is a nice rifle, ease to shoulder, etc.

savage-m25-17hornet-1.jpg
savage-m25-17hornet-2.jpg

The second was a prototype Ruger 77/17Hornet. Another nice gun, but since I have a few Rugers, it was to be as expected. Both used magazines, which make it handy for predator hunters.

ruger17hornet.jpg

The caliber has been very popular in different variations for years, but this is the first time it is available in a factory chambering. I was taking shots at 100 yards today, knocking 5" round targets each shot. I am very excited about this caliber and the rifles that will soon be available.

I'll post up more info and pictures when I get a chance!

17Hornet.jpg
hornady-17-hornet-1.jpg
hornady-17-hornet-2.jpg

More pictures below!!

Eric B)

Attached Thumbnails

• savage-m25-17hornet-3.jpg
  • savage-m25-17hornet-4.jpg
  • savage-m25-17hornet-5.jpg

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,664 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

SWEET!!

Will the Savage be offered in a laminated stock by chance?? :biggrincamo:

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#3 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

That's the one I shot today! It was a very nice rifle.

I wish I could upload the pictures I took of the rifle. I will get them up later this week.

Eric B)

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#4 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

I took a picture of my other camera's screen. It's a terrible shot, but it gives you an idea!

Eric B)

Attached Thumbnails

• 17Hornet-Savage.jpg

#5 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,664 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

That is one slick unit right there!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#6 Old Hawkeye

Old Hawkeye

Varminter

• 185 posts
  • Local time: 12:57 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

WOW! That bolt looks like it is a foot long! Can you leave your cheek on the stock & cycle the bolt without it poking you in the eye?
Heard that they are using a barrel nut on the 25 now instead of pinning the barrel on. Can you confirm? Some guys have all the fun!!!! Oh, almost forgot, what is the overall case length?

#7 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

The picture looks skewed because it is a duplicate of another camera's screen. I'm going to try and find out more information today, with details. I will put up a full, detailed report this weekend (I know it's days away, sorry)!

Stay tuned!!

Eric B)

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,358 posts
  • Local time: 02:57 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

I'd be interested to hear accuracy reports, particularly on the Ruger. Ok Ok I'll wait :huh:

Intersting cartridge, tho I would till opt for a .20Hornet myself.

Gofundme.com/bayou

#9 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

CZ-USA just confirmed that they are working towards getting one produced, hopefully, by Fall of 2012. As always, take into consideration testing, etc. However, the "steps" are being taken to get them produced!

Eric

#10 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Savage will have three versions of this rifle in the 25 - laminate, laminate thumbhole and synthetic.

March 2012 release date and if there are good sales numbers, they may release it in the Predator series.

Eric

#11 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• 711 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Ok so with all these new chamberings coming out, why the heck wont they build a rifle for the 5mm? :pissedcamo: this is ridiculous! :pissedcamo: Sorry just had to vent. :biggrincamo: My 592 is not getting any younger! thats is a neet little 17 though.

#12 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

All these companies currently have a .22 Hornet in their rifle lines, so a new barrel and some adjustments is not a big deal. The 5mm on the other hand...

Eric B)

#13 sixshooter

sixshooter

Varminter

• 711 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

All these companies currently have a .22 Hornet in their rifle lines, so a new barrel and some adjustments is not a big deal. The 5mm on the other hand...

Eric B)

yeah I know :biggrincamo:

#14 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,358 posts
  • Local time: 02:57 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Eric B)

True but these companies all make .204's also. So the barrels are already in production (unless I'm missing something?) Building a new action specically for the 5mm rimfire could be a costly project that potentially bears no fruit though.

So where's the .20Hornet or 20VarTarg???? considering the actions and barrels are already in service as 22Hornets/221FB and 204Ruger barrels. ah, I'll just wait.

Gofundme.com/bayou

#15 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Had a great day today. Met up with Tim M. and Andy M. at the Aguila booth, along with Lowell (5mm Craig) and Jim Saubier (great guy!). I also received the cable to my camera so I could upload these pictures!

Ammo:

Posted Image

Savage M-25 Rifle:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ruger 17 Hornet Prototype (we may not see this one for a long while):

Posted Image

Lots of ammo to shoot!

Posted Image

Eric B)