• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 aspire

aspire

Varminter

• 53 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 AM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:55 AM

You could try H110 thats what I use with now pressure signs at all.

#32 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,271 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 PM

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

Now alls you need Glenn is a cool Tee cool.gif

http://www.hiway395....00-cotton-shirt

I had to go to the range today to check the zero on my CZ 204...turns out that miss the other day must have been mostly shooter error unsure.gif I took the Hornet along for something to shoot while the 204 barrel cooled. I'm re-impressed each time I shoot that thing.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#33 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

That's a mighty stylish shirt, Red, I might have to get one to go with my .204 Ruger shirts biggrincamo.gif

This little stinkpot is coming along, it doesn't make me gag to look at it, anyway biggrincamo.gif Four coats of poly, four more to go..... Not too bad for a beat up rifle. It beats the Hell out of the black paint, crack or no crack................

Attached Thumbnails

• stockinprogresscz_002.JPG
  • stockinprogresscz_003.JPG
  • stockinprogresscz_004.JPG

Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#34 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,638 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:44 PM

Not too shabby atall GA!! If she shoots that good you're gonna be in business!!

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#35 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 1,985 posts
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

There's probably a lot of nice pistol grips in that stock, if it comes down to that. smile.gif

#36 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:36 AM

It's gettin' purt near time to try this thing out, my part should be here my next week sometime, and we're eyeballing the weather to see about a range trip next weekend. I didn't have anything except 2400 on hand, so I dumped some in some cases, and stuck some bullets on top.

37 Calhoon- 9.5 2400 6.5 primers WW cases
45 Remington HP- 9.0 2400
50 Hornady SPSX- 8.5 2400

Nothing hot here, just a trial to see if it blows up or not whatthecamo.gif

WW 45gr. softpoint factory load

.221 Fireball, just for size variation
.223 Remington, which just looks overpowered and obese compared to the Hornet. biggrincamo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• little_ones_003.JPG

#37 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

THE NEW MAG CATCH IS HERE, THE NEW MAG CATCH IS HERE! I'M SOMEBODY NOW, THE NEW MAG CATCH IS HERE!

My apologies to Steve Martin, but it seemed funny at the time biggrincamo.gif biggrincamo.gif biggrincamo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• cztriplets3.jpg

#38 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,638 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

laugh.gif That's a purdy good looking lineup you got there GA!!

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#39 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,271 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

LOL

I don't think I've ever tried anything over 40 grains. I'll be interested to hear how those 50 SXSP's work out. It's a favorite of mine for the 223. Hurry up will ya!?

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#40 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,888 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (glenn asher @ Jan 13 2010, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gonna try 1680, too, Mike. Lil Gun is on the list, but I've seen other guys with Hornets have some pressure excursions (like I did in my Fireball) with Lil Gun, and I'm a little leary of it.

I have some of "the original Hornet powder", 2400, too. Gonna try some of Calhoon's 37 grainers with it. Got some Remington 46 HPs as well, and some 34 gr. Dogtowns from a buddy of mine.
You only need 9.5gr. of 2400 with those 46s shockedcamo.gif ..............

I shoot about a thousand rounds of Hornet a year and 900 of them are loaded with Lil Gun. If someone got "pressure excursions" it wasn't from the powder -and you can take that to the bank.

Skip 2400. It's too peaky in it's modern form. H110 and 1680 are the "other" powders I shoot. The smallest groups I have shot were actually shot with 1680 in my CZ. It's detractor is relatively low velocity for the price in pressure. H-110 is a screamer but again, higher pressure than LG.

Make sure you trim your brass at every reloading. It will help avoid pressure excursions. tongue.gif

You've got a good rifle. Welcome to the CZ Hornet club! ~AMMOe

#41 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:44 AM

I saw a guy lock up a Savage M40 at the range one day, using what should have been a mild load
35 VM, 12.0 Lil Gun, 6.5 primers and WW cases. It sorta threw me to see that happen, considering what I've read here, but I saw it with my own eyes.

I had my CZ Fireball lock up, too, using Lil Gun, with 15gr.(supposedly a full gr. under max.) and 40 VMs, so it DOES happen. Hodgdon had one or two lots of Lil Gun get recalled, too, IIRC, and maybe I was just unlucky, but Lil Gun has me spooked after those two episodes.

1680 and 4227 don't seem to cause any trouble, and roughly 90% of the folks I've asked recommended Lil Gun, but based on what I've seen and had happen myself, I'm still spooked by the stuff.

It just goes to show that we always need to start low and work up slowly, ESPECIALLY in these little bitty cases.
A buddy offered me a cupfull of Lil Gun, if I wanted to re-try the stuff, maybe I'll take him up on it, but you can bet I'll be awfully cautious about it, based on my previous observations.

#42 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,888 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

Well, I'll take your word for it and check my LOT numbers. I have never anything but mild mannered behavior from LG. I wish I'd been there to see the case when it came out of the gun.

I tried 4227 but the velocities seemed pretty pathetic though the accuracy was acceptable. If I had to choose one (non Lil Gun) powder it would be H-110. Check out thegroup on the right:

Seven of ten went into a raggety hole. From a light weight sporter that is pretty impressive. I shot some 33 grain V-Max made for the Remmington 22WMR over 11.5 grains of H-110 and got 3260 fps and half-MOA accuracy. BTW, I only use pistol primers in the Hornet.

In any event, you are destined for fun. If you decide you hate it? Give me a call and we'll talk turkey...~AMMOe

#43 WTFC

WTFC

Varminter

• 873 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (Red @ Jan 14 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now alls you need Glenn is a cool Tee cool.gif

http://www.hiway395....00-cotton-shirt

Or this one:
Attached File  K_Hornet.bmp   216.69KB   53 downloads

Edited by WTFC, 18 January 2010 - 05:52 AM.

Wayne

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"

NRA LIFE MEMBER 30+years

Posted Image

#44 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,888 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

All real CZ Hornet shooter wear that Hornet Tee..... cool.gif ~AMMOe

#45 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:18 AM

Plans were made, the truck loaded and ready to go, but rain kept us off the range today unsurecamo.gif I was sure hoping to see how this little Hornet would shoot, but the weatherguessers got it right, and it was pouring rain this AM, windy, too. Not good for Hornet shooting.

So, maybe next weekend I can get it out there and pull the trigger a little. Just wasn't in the cards today. I might have to cut out after work some weekday and see about dirtying this thing up.

I was able to borrow an unemployed Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 to put on it, and eliminate one possibility of errors, that Simmons scope. Dunno if it's a good one or not, but I decided to take that out of the equation altogether, until I find out more about the rifle.