• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge

Varminter

• 35 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

Anybody have any success hunting coons in the daytime? Michigan law does not allow night time hunting unless one is following dogs, and my chessies don't really care to trail coon! I would like to get a few to 1.) decrease the population in my duck hunting area and 2.) I have a couple of taxidermy and muzzleloading projects that I want to use the hides for.

Any help/hints/tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.......

#2 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 1,985 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 PM
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

You might be able to call them.

If I saw one wandering around in daylight, I would be worried about rabies. ph34r.gif

#3 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,664 posts
  • Local time: 09:15 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

There is a good video out by Todd & Steve Borland. They make the Minaska Bandit & call a ton of coon every year right out of the den trees in the daylight. They were bought out but I think you can get the video from www.allpredatorcalls.com

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Varminter

• 1,062 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

Raccoons come readily to a good call. Don't get a coon squaller as it is used to get them to show eyes at night. Do a Google search for "Johnny Stewart Raccoon Calls". I new the person who recorded the raccoon fight they sell and it has proven to be the very best producer ever made. Unfortunately we can't use them in California. But check your states regulations and if they allow calls for raccoons get the Johnny Stewart. They make them in tape or digital sticks for their reasonably priced callers. Good luck and have fun.

#5 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 1,581 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:40 AM

Here's a couple of Johny Stewart's at Ebay to consider. One is CD and the other is memory card.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item29fdd1244d

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item588445d862

#6 Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:54 AM

Thanks all, for your input.....very helpful and very much appreciated.

I have a Johnny Stewart caller; unfortunately, I still live in the dark ages and it is the one that uses the cassette tapes. I've tried several sites and have yet to find a 'coon on coon' fight on a cassette tape. I have found the following: coon & grey fox fight; coon & red fox fight; and coon and bird. Do you think that any of these might work as well as a coon on coon?
Also, is there any particular time of day that is better than another, i.e. early morning/late afternoon vs middle of the day? I saw some footage on youtube and it has me psyched!
Thanks again for the info...........

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Varminter

• 1,062 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

I went ahead and found this cassette for you.

http://www.wildlifec...tegory_Code=CLR

#8 Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

thank you very much, ShooterJohn..... I just got done ordering it.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Varminter

• 1,062 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

You should be very happy with it. Like I mention the person who recorded it had great success with it down in Texas. It was one of the most popular of their cassette line of products.

#10 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

Crumblin Coons is the name of the video. Here's a clip from it.

Here's the best I can find for some odd reason.

sales@minaskaoutdoors.com

Edited by Glen, 04 December 2009 - 03:20 PM.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#11 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,664 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

You can order the video thru this link. I sent an email to them @ 8:21 this evening & Steve Borland replied back @ 8:56. biggrincamo.gif

http://www.mogamecal...d0b99f4fe25b6d9

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,356 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:04 AM

I've tried it a few times at first or last light with no luck. Though to be fair, I haven't spent much time experimenting on specifically targeting coons. Any tips are appreciated. BTW, I've seen the "Crumblin Coons" disc and there seemed to be some good pointers on there.

Gofundme.com/bayou

#13 Jerrschmitt

Jerrschmitt

Varminter

• 24 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

I've only seen racoons in the day time once. They were in my apple tree. Shot four of the five. They raid my corn and apples every year and I see them on my trail cam every night it's out. I think it's a lost cause.