• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thumbs

thumbs

Varminter

• 15 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

Has anyone used the Hollow pointer tool from eab? Just wonderin if it really works and would it do a good job on ground hogs? I would use it on some dynapoints.

thanks

#2 Drumie

Drumie

Varminter

• 67 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

I just purchased a kit from a person over on rimfirecentral.com. His name over there is D Rock. The product that he makes/sells is better then the other ones out there. You get 4 tips with it. And you can controll the depth of the hollow point or any of the tips you use. This kit works great. I stocked up on Wolf MT. It shoots great in all of my guns but i wanted hollow points for hunting. When I make the Wolf MT into hollow points the POI does not change at all on any of my guns from the unalterted Wolf ammo. I don't know how well they will do on game, I haven't tried it yet, but I am able to make the hollow points even deeper then some of the other bullets out there. Once you get it set up to what depth you want you can pound out a lot pretty fast. I am able to do a box of 50 in around 10 mins.

#3 thumbs

thumbs

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

Does he have a web page? I have the one from e aurther brown. I just made 50 from my dynapoints(superX) on the case anyway.

I would like to see the one your talkin about though. Mine is ok but you can't control the depth and it's kinda hard to hold the cartridge while drilling.

Never mind I found it. thanks

Edited by thumbs, 30 June 2009 - 10:58 AM.

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,034 posts
  • Local time: 11:30 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Drumie @ Jun 30 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know how well they will do on game, I haven't tried it yet,

I had the same idea. I'd be interested to hear your report on terminal damage done. I'm sitting on a pile of Wolf M/T that shoots well but isn't the ideal game bullet. I did get some SK subsonic Hollow Points that seem to be more effective killers, tho....not quite as accurate as the M/T (in my rifle) and somewhat pricey.

#5 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:56 PM

Any good subsonic will do you well. The HP depth in the CCI, Aguila, Eley and the like is 2/3 the length of the bullet. I hit rabbits at 25 yards and there is no exit. Just a dead rabbit!~AMMOe

#6 wildbirdhunter

wildbirdhunter

Varminter

• 38 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

I've got both and hollow pointer tool and an SGB tool but to tell you the truth both are more of a pain then anything I found the a good HP like Power points kills just fine and I don't have to do anything other then load the round and shoot.

WBH

#7 Tigger

Tigger

Varminter

• 310 posts
  • Interests:Charlie Hunting &amp; HNADGUNS!!

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

Interesting tool;

Paco's Acu'rzr

#8 youngbuck3006

youngbuck3006

Varminter

• 24 posts
  • Local time: 11:30 PM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

I have one of D rock's tools and it works pretty good for me. I tree squirrel hunt alot so I have been trying to find the prefect squirrel bullet I have tried target bullets but they were not working, I had one squirrel that I had to shoot three times in the head and I still had to run it down.
I used sub sonics but the only come in deep hollow points and they were doing to much meat damage if I made a chest shot so I ended up just using CCI SGBs but they are high velocity and ended up scare the other squirrels in the tree so I'm hoping to be able to make some custom bullets for hunting that are subsonic and meat friendly.

Here are some hollow points with different depths they started out as Aquila super extra solids (the second one from left is a Remington subsonic that I made the hollow point bigger).

and this mushroom is the deepest one after I shot it in wet newspaper @ 30 yards,it made a 1'' hole in the paper

This is a EPS wadcutter with a mushroomed bullet next to it from paper test @ 30 yards. I think this one will make a good squirrel bullet but I will have to a month for season to come in to find out

I'm not saying that you can make a better bullet then what you can buy. but what you can do is make hollow points out of the ammo that you have on hand and make it fit your needs. You also get a round nose and flat nose die in the set.