15 replies to this topic

#1 TJD

TJD

Varminter

• 348 posts
  • Local time: 08:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hey guys,
The barrel on my first varmint rifle (223) has died. It is to be re-born a 221 Fireball. Before I start load development I have a question. Do some brands of powders produce less muzzle blast that other brands? Thanks!

#2 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts
  • Local time: 09:47 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

I was playing around with Lil Gun, at my buddy's house, and after a few rounds, his dogs left for another county, literally shockedcamo.gif . They ran off, and later the neighbor called and said they were at his house. I didn't notice any difference in the Lil Gun and the Reloader Seven loads I normally use, but apparently the dogs did. They hit the road..............

I can probably save you a lot of work. Use 18.5gr. of Reloader Seven and any bullet from 35 to 50 grains. Plumb near guaranteed to shoot extremely well, even if it's not really fast. Heck, if you want fast, shoot a .22/250. That load SHOOTS, ask Glen (One EN) biggrincamo.gif and I think Jerry uses it, too. I stole it from a buddy who owned a custom Fireball, built on a Howa action w/1.25" diameter PacNor barrel. His gun liked it bunches. It's generally good for a half-inch group with SPSX bullets in my CZ.
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#3 skb2706

skb2706

Varminter

• 969 posts
  • Interests:First and foremost a shooter.........I have always hunted and for the most part done pretty well. Definitely a better shooter. I hunt big game all over the state of CO including antelope, deer and elk. I between BG hunts I fill in with lots of prairie dogs and this year 2004 I am going to KS for a deer hunt. Just got hooked up for my first official coyote hunt end of Feb. 2004. I have access to lots of excellent prairie property and the hospitality is excellent too. Go figure my big sis married a guy that farms 12000 acres.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Muzzle Flash = Fireball.........thus the name.

I use RL7 in mine and since I shoot during the daylight hours never noticed a flash. I know there are guys using AA1680 and some using Lil Gun but they will have to chime in for a flash report.

#4 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,584 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

biggrincamo.gif I like Re7 with the 50gr BK's. Purdy decent BC & they smack hard too.

EDITED TO REFLECT THE FACT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M SHOOTING!! confusedcamo.gif

Edited by Glen, 18 March 2009 - 02:58 PM.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#5 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts
  • Local time: 09:47 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Glen @ Mar 18 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrincamo.gif I like Re7 with the 55gr BK's. Purdy decent BC & they smack hard too. cool.gif

I thought you shot 50s? No big deal, I just thought you were using the lighter bullets, like I do.???
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#6 TJD

TJD

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Thanks guys. My action is also a Howa 1500 Short action.

I will give these a try.

I mis-spoke I was asking about sound rather than light (Flash). I once had a T.C. Contender Ten inch barrel in 223. When I tried Win. 748 the light show was something else.

#7 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,584 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Thanks GA!! Nice catch. I edited my above post. eyebrowcamo.gif

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#8 Jerry

Jerry

Varminter

• 727 posts
  • Local time: 12:47 AM
  • Interests:Drag Racing, ATVs, shooting

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

Yep, I run 17.2 gr Reloader 7. CCI BR4 primers, and 50 gr BKs. It sure is a shooter in the CZ! You'll like it!

(BTW, I stole that load from Glen lol)

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,214 posts
  • Local time: 11:47 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (TJD @ Mar 17 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The barrel on my first varmint rifle (223) has died. It is to be re-born a 221 Fireball.

Just curious as to why you decided to go with the 221 over the 223? I have a .223 barrel that is also on the verge of needing to be replaced. 221 was one option of several I had in mind.

WWRD? What Would Reagan Do?

#10 TJD

TJD

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 348 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:26 AM

I still shoot the 223. When I hunt Pdogs I take 223s and 223 Ackley Improved. A long time ago I picked up a 10 inch T.C. Contender in 221 Fireball. It became a fun gun for the local ground hogs. I have used several other calibers for them also. As the land around my favorite dairy farm has become homes I was looking for a gun with less bark. Yes, I have tried 17 HMR.

Here is the real reason:
My first centerfire varmint killer was and is a used Mossburg 1500 (Howa). It started life as a 223 then it had the barrel set back and was reamed to an Ackley Improved. It has take a truck load of critters plus all of my six kids have learned to shoot with it. It has spent so much time pointing at groundhogs that I do not want to get rid of it. The 221 Fireball fits the bolt head and I am set up to load for it. My pick of the 221 Fireball is not a statement against any other caliber. Other guns have come and gone but this old gun is special to me, or maybe I'm an old foolish gun nut.

#11 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,214 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

I see.

I'd like to switch mine to something new just to sort of mix things up a bit. At the same time it makes no monetary sense for me to do so and I still enjoy the hum-drum 223. A 20 VT is another option, less powder and perhaps a bit more range. Dies and brass costs are prohibitive. I'm in no real hurry.
WWRD? What Would Reagan Do?

#12 Tigger

Tigger

Varminter

• 310 posts
  • Interests:Charlie Hunting &amp; HNADGUNS!!

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

Reloader 7 and 40gr Blitz Kings.....PURE POISON!!

It's the best powder I have found for the 221 FIRE BALL.
NRA Life Member

Hunt with a Handgun!

#13 TJD

TJD

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

Tigger,

Your picture made my day. Thanks
Your Fireball couldn't happen to a finer critter.
I under stand that the round was invented just for ground hogs. My T.C. likes the 40gr Blitz King also. but it uses 2400 powder. You-all have convenced me, I will try Reloader 7. The next step is to save enough money to take the action to my gun smith. Maybe I could take out a loan and the government will pay it?

Any one having trouble finding primers?

#14 WTFC

WTFC

Varminter

• 873 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (TJD @ Mar 31 2009, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tigger,

Any one having trouble finding primers?

Here in Minnesota, they have disappeared. Except for a few shotgun primers. Someone from the gun club talked to a Winchester rep and was told they would be shipping primers at the end of April. rolleyescamo.gif
Wayne

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"

NRA LIFE MEMBER 30+years

Posted Image

#15 Hal

Hal

Varminter

• 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:55 AM

When I bought my XP-100 way back when... I put a 12X scope on it to work up a load. 15.5g of IMR-4227 with a 50g Sierra Blitz bullet shot the best. I switched scopes to a 2X pistol scope, and have shot the same cartridge all these years. Sometime in the 70's I sent the pistol to Remington to have the trigger replaced (safety recall) and I had to sight it in when I put the pistol scope back on it... Since then I've never touched the adjustments and it will still make a golf ball hop every shot at 100 yards. It's tough to get the smallest groups at 100 yards with a 2x pistol scope, but when I do my part, every group is less than 1".