• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redvapor

redvapor

Varminter

• 160 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

Has anyone had any experience with the Savage Precision Target Action? Looks beefy and I like the right bolt, left port idea.

http://www.savagearm...TA_223_Bolt.htm

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,302 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

I don't own one, but I have two PD shooting buddies with three between them. They are completely sold on it, they are all shooters. Personally, I'm not convinced that the third action screw is a huge improvement over the two screw design...perhaps it's better? I guess it can't hurt. They have a heavier barrel than the 12 series and a very well made stock. For a right handed shooter, the left port-right bolt would be very convenient for PD's or any bench type shooting. I don't think you'd be dissapointed and would know where your money went. For me, I'm sticking with my old 10 and 12 series rifles, simply because I don't want to part with the bucks, at least for the time being.

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow~

#3 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

Red, if I had to guess, I'd say that third action screw is simply because of that huge barrel. The extra weight has to be tough on two screws......
redvapor, I have some buddies with the LRPV, like Red, and all of them rave about the rifles. I've only shot one of them, a .223, but it shot nicely enough. One of my buddies sold an XR-100 Remington after shooting his LRPV in .204, and bought a second LRPV immediately, and I know a few others who are pretty happy with theirs, too. All are in either .223 or .204, either no one has bought the larger stuff, or they're simply not talking about them on the computer. whatthecamo.gif
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,302 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

I'm sure you're right about the third screw Glenn. It can't hurt.

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow~

#5 redvapor

redvapor

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

I was just thinking of getting the action to build another but not sure what caliber. Got a .223 in an AR that shoots great, a .22-250 that just went back to Krieger to see if they can determine why it doesn't shoot and a 6mm-250 that's a good shooter. The last 2 rifles have Royal Arms thumbhole varminter stocks that I love and it looks like they are going to start producing again.

#6 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

What are your intentions for it's use? Groundhogs, coyotes, prairie dogs? The deadly paper target?

It's sure a natural for prairie dog shooting, the right bolt/left port is handy and dandy for busting Pdogs without overheating the barrel too much, and you don't lose cases very often, either. Doug, who has the .223, loves his for Pdog shooting, about the only "hunting" he does. Sid(2) and Roger have .204s, and use them more or less exclusively for Pdogs, too.
Personally, I think it's too heavy for coyotes, and groundhogs are as easily shot with a lighter rifle. Around here in KY, we don't run across too many groundhogs, so a heavy barrel isn't even necessary, we can "get by" with sporters if they shoot well enough.

If the economy recovers before completely emptying my 401(k) and my IRA, I will probably consider one of them myself, since Cooper has lost my interest...........I was kinda thinking about a fast-twist .22/250, for the PDogs that are WAY out there. Of course, a 1-11 twist 3 groove .204 would be just as nice, and burn less powder........................... freakedcamo.gif
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#7 redvapor

redvapor

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

Glen,

I'm not sure what I'd use it for. (How's that for a brainy answer!). I don't get out to the shooting fields anywhere close to what I'd like. In my younger years it was much more often. It took 4 years of attempts to go on a PD trip (finally done last July). Something always got in the way. One of those years the guy I was supposed to go with had a kidney removed. Another year he just started a job. Can't remember what happened the other 2 years. Haven't shot a chuck in 100 years. Paper is OK for load development or competition but other than that it gets boring.

I figure my AR is good for chucks or PDs out to 250 yds. The .22-250 (if I ever get it to shoot) would be good to maybe 450 and the 6mm-250 was intended for the 600 yd limit. That hasn't been tested yet. It wouldn't be practical to go for the 1,000 yd activities since I don't have access to that kind of range. I don't like bigger bore recoil (have an '06) and I don't like barrel burners. So, I'll go back to my original statement - not sure. Maybe I was looking for another project (before they are banned?). In any event I would have to decide on a cartridge. ??????????

Speaking of loosing cases, I must have lost 120 .223 cases on that PD trip. Does anyone know of a DECENT brass catcher for an AR with a flattop. I understand the cases stick to the nylon ones.

Ed