Stock Howa 1500 trigger job

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NMdoghunter

NMdoghunter

Varminter

• 168 posts
  • Local time: 10:33 AM
  • Interests:Any and all types of hunting(Deer, Small Game, Predators, Turkey, Barbary Sheep, and Elk if I can ever draw), Target shooting, fur trapping, Off-roading, fishing, poker,

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

I got a howa 1500 in 270 and the trigger has tons of creep and is slightly heavy. I know it can be adjusted but if done so too much can raise issues with the safety. Has anyone does this? Id like to be able to do it without filing the trigger for safety fit. Let me know how you did it if you have. Any pictures or descriptions would help a ton. Thanks.
-NMdoghunter

#2 twodoghill

twodoghill

Varminter

• 202 posts
  • Local time: 09:33 AM

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (NMdoghunter @ Oct 13 2008, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a howa 1500 in 270 and the trigger has tons of creep and is slightly heavy. I know it can be adjusted but if done so too much can raise issues with the safety. Has anyone does this? Id like to be able to do it without filing the trigger for safety fit. Let me know how you did it if you have. Any pictures or descriptions would help a ton. Thanks.
-NMdoghunter

I shot a Howa 204 that had a drop-in Timney trigger. It was as good as any trigger I've used - really nice.

By the way I was shooting my .270 this weekend with Hornady SST 130 grain factory ammo. 3 out of 4 coyotes shot had no exit wound and the hide was not torn up. The 4th was not so good and had a lot of damage but that's because shot placement was bad. Its a really good cartridge.

Edited by twodoghill, 13 October 2008 - 06:35 PM.

#3 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

I tinkered with my son's for ages before finally saying "To Heck with It!" and buying a Timney. ~AMMOe

#4 twodoghill

twodoghill

Varminter

• 202 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (AMMOe @ Oct 13 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tinkered with my son's for ages before finally saying "To Heck with It!" and buying a Timney. ~AMMOe

you won't be disappointed , the Timney seemed as crisp as the Jewel I used to have. It was set up to break at about 2 lbs.

#5 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:50 AM

Midsouth and Midway are both carrying the new Rifle Basix triggers for Howas, along with the Timneys. Just soze ya noze biggrincamo.gif ...................... I don't have either one, but I'm thinking about one or the other. the Timney's a little less money. Lock Stock and Barrel is out of stock, currently......

It's nice to finally have a choice in the matter, RB makes two triggers, and Timney's one trigger, make for a little better situation for those of us with these otherwise great rifles.

#6 TJD

TJD

Varminter

• 348 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

I installed a trigger by Rifle Basic on a Remington 700 short action. The instructions were very clear and well illustrated. I made one small mistake but found that factory support was very helpful. I will use them again.

#7 timezoneguy

timezoneguy

Varminter

• 138 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:12 AM

Depending on the age of your Howa. Here it is , the old Howas have one screw to adjust the trigger. the more you adjust it the lighter the trigger pull until it's so loose that the bolt releases when you close it. Not good. Before you reach that point you can back it off and you are right you will loose the use of the safety first. I would carefuly back off the screw until I lost the safety and then increase until I get it back. That's as good as I know how to get with out a new trigger or modification to the old one. The new Howa's have two (2) screws and one controls the slack (creep) the other controls the weight the trigger releases ( like the single screw models) I was out in no where and tore my new Howa apart and screwed with the trigger big time! I recommed you give it a shot but just adjust one screw at a time. I was able to make significant inprovement with the trigger. I would adjust 1/16 of a turn and a time and keep track of where you started. It's easy to tell, the changes come quickly. Be patient and adjust the weight of the trigger first, then the creep. Good luck!!

#8 Mush

Mush

Varminter

• 202 posts
  • Local time: 01:33 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

I found this a year ago on the net.... I hope this helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Howa trigger is adjustable:

1. Make sure the weapon is unloaded and remove the barreled action from the stock.

2. There are three screws on the Howa trigger assembly, all three are RTV'd. Remove the RTV from the front and back screws.

3. The front screw is the return spring adjustment (Pull weight): Back this screw all the way out, then install to at MINIMUM 1.5 threads. This is the lowest trigger pull setting that is recomended by Howa. It will give you around 2.5 lbs. Re-RTV the screw.

4. The rear screw is for Sear engagement. Adjusting this screw in will give you a finer engagement and less creep (there is NO creep in my factory Howa trigger), adjusting it out will give you creep. RE-RTV the screw.

5. Reinstall the barreled action into the stock, place a stap cap (or
expended shell) into the chamber, cock the weapon and smake the rifle butt HARD a time or two to see if you have gone too light on the sear engagement. If you don't have any 'slap fire', your good to go.

Have fun with your new toy . . . I LOVE mine! It is the M1500 SV in SS/Pepper in .22-250. I would recomend that you contact Legacy Sports @ 703-548-4837 and ask to speak to the Howa Gunsmith (he is on staff and is very helpful and willing to yack with you) if you have any additional questions or required clairification."

Edited by Mush, 20 October 2008 - 04:06 PM.

#9 NMdoghunter

NMdoghunter

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Any and all types of hunting(Deer, Small Game, Predators, Turkey, Barbary Sheep, and Elk if I can ever draw), Target shooting, fur trapping, Off-roading, fishing, poker,

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the information. I havnt quite mustared up the courage to mess with the trigger yet but am seriously considering it. Either way something has to be done, whether a new trigger all together or fixing the stock one. I think ill wait till deer season is over to try either one. Any more help will still be useful.
-NMdoghunter

#10 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

I finally took my own advice and ordered a Timney this evening, to go on a .270 I keep around as a spare deer rifle. It can't help but make a difference. One of the previous owners (I know both of them, and I know who it was!) mucked up this factory trigger beyond belief. If the Timney is as good as I've heard, maybe it won't be a "spare rifle" any more.

Attached Thumbnails

• howa270.jpg

#11 JimT.

JimT.

Varminter

• 499 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I've heard that altering something like trigger pull MAY void the warranty. You might want to check on it before you make your changes. Safety first, as always!

#12 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:51 AM

It's way out of warranty anyway, and a third hand owner, so that has no bearing on this. AND, it's been shot with "GASP" HANDLOADS, so I don't expect anything from Legacysports, anyway. I haven't been impressed with their "warranty service" in any case, as I've owned other products from them and they didn't offer up much help.

#13 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:00 AM

Well, the Timney arrived yesterday, and UPS did it's usual fine job of taking it to the wrong door rolleyescamo.gif , so I didn't know it was here until this morning. No big deal, but it would have given me something to do last evening, when TV wasn't fit to watch. Oh well.
I'm going to have to relieve the stock so the safety will work, but the trigger itself is nice and crisp, and nothing whatsover like the factory trigger, which has almost as much creep as the DNC or the Obama White House. I took it down to two pounds, which is plenty light for a deer rifle, but about where my trigger-spoiled self likes them nowadays.
I guess I'm gonna have to shoot this thing a bit more, now that the trigger is tolerable. I might even have to put more scope on it, that straight 4X is so old school..........................