• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 poacherjoe

poacherjoe

Varminter

• 53 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 PM

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

Every year I hunt deer in Nebraska I see signs in town that state a fur trader will be there soon! My question is how much are these pelts worth? The local butcher wants all of the deer hides too! What are they worth? I know that the temperature will affect the quality of the animals in question but none of the locals seem to have an answer.The butcher play's dumb too.There are coyote hunters that run dogs and for the wear and tear they put everything thru you would think it was profitable. That is unless they are like some bear hunters I know who are NUTS about running hounds.Please if anyone has some answers to the questions above let's hear them! I shoot alot of the yotes and just leave them lay.Thanks PJ

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,214 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 PM

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:07 AM

Coyotes are likely worth more where you are. Here, a nice one has been worth $5, less than nice is worth $0. I leave them lay.
WWRD? What Would Reagan Do?

#3 Rich V

Rich V

Varminter

• 560 posts
  • Interests:Self bows, Rifles, Fly fishing, Beekeeping

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (Red @ Sep 12 2008, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Coyotes are likely worth more where you are. Here, a nice one has been worth $5, less than nice is worth $0. I leave them lay.

Ditto on leaving them lay. Not worth the time and fuel to sell them. Especially when they have a gaping hole in them.

Fine minds like fine steels are forged by hard knocks.

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 1,381 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 PM

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

I bet if you asked the yote that same question...I suppose he might put a tad better value on it laugh.gif

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Varminter

• 1,062 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

First you would need a fur trappers license to even sell a fur. Then it's what the market is willing to pay for the pelt depending on quality of the fur and so on. Shot fur isn't as coveted as trapped fur, but it really comes down to time of year the pelt was taken. I trapped in California as a young person and did rather well. But now with the no leg hold trap laws it's not worth the trouble or time unless you want a fur for a throw or to hang on the wall.

Edited by ShooterJohn, 13 September 2008 - 11:27 AM.

#6 shooter

shooter

Varminter

• 2,905 posts
  • Local time: 04:25 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Killing, Calling, Shooting critters, Hunting critters, Killing critters, Calling critters, 4 Wheel Drives, and Mostly My Family

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

$12.50 Avg. in January. Most stay were they get the hole or holes blown in them here! biggrin.gif

The ROCK

#7 poacherjoe

poacherjoe

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

I am from California and the yotes out here are not valued for fur.For one reason the climate is to warm and they don't put on a good winter coat.

But back in Nebraska in November I noticed that the yotes had a very thick silvery grey coat.They looked like wolves compared to Ca. I was told by the locals they made money on the pelts depending on how cold it got ! I couldn't think of wanting to skin this animal unless it was worth it.Thanks for the info everyone. I looked it up on the internet and found the same results so I will continue to leave them lay. PJ biggrincamo.gif

#8 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

Coyote hides aren't worth much now, but back in the '60s and '70s the hides could be worth as much as $60, depending on condition. At least, you could get that in Missouri. The Counties in MO would pay a bounty of $15 when I was a kid, but as the hides got valuable, the bounties went away, no reason for the county to pay, when they could get coyotes killed for free! biggrincamo.gif
Later on, sarcoptic mange became epidemic, and killled off most of the coyotes. No hide money, no bounty, no nothin'. shockedcamo.gif
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,214 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (glenn asher @ Sep 15 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Coyote hides aren't worth much now, but back in the '60s and '70s the hides could be worth as much as $60

my god man you must be older than most rocks laugh.gif

you couldn't get $60 in your gas tank back then either. It was considerable money. Coons were up as high as $40...I mean...uh... that's just what I heard cause I'm a young whipper snapper unsure.gif

WWRD? What Would Reagan Do?

#10 Rich V

Rich V

Varminter

• 560 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:54 PM

I can remember trapping and selling prime reds for $80.00 and rats for $3.50.

#11 TA17 rem

TA17 rem

Varminter

• 90 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

Dakota coyotes fetched 40.00 avr. last year.
Minn. coyotes brought an avr of 18.50

Fox brought 18-20.00
coon 13-18.00

Texas coyotes brought an avr. of 18.00

Most fur has a value its just up to the hunter weither or not he tries to salvage the hides...

#12 Rich V

Rich V

Varminter

• 560 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

About four years ago a friend and I traveled to Forreston to sell some coyote fur. It was about a hour each way. Five pelts payed us, $7.00.

#13 glenn asher

glenn asher

Varminter

• 1,260 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

I can remember seeing the furbuyer's dump trucks (yeah, dump trucks!) parked down at Mike, MO (literally a wide spot in the road) and by the middle of winter, those trucks would be full of coyote hides, along with coon, muskrat, beaver, mink, etc. He hauled them up into Canada someplace, and sold them up there. '
Later on, the buyer bought and built a pretty decent house a mile up the road from Mike, complete with skinning sheds, three LARGE walk-in freezers, and enough salt stored in the outbuildings to keep deer and cows happy for a LONG time. Harvey got into trouble, got divorced and had to sell that nice house, sheds, freezers, etc. for a song. My stepbrother bought it biggrincamo.gif giving me a fine, fine facility for hanging and dressing deer. freakedcamo.gif
Not ready for the White House to be a crack house....................

#14 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 1,381 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (glenn asher @ Sep 16 2008, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harvey got into trouble freakedcamo.gif

Sounds like ole Harvey, the furbuyer got himself stretched and salted in Mike shockedcamo.gif rolleyes.gif

#15 GrandLordKhorne

GrandLordKhorne

Varminter

• 376 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

I do some tanning in my spare time. Itís a little off topic but the resin the butchers want the deer hides is because they sell them to us tanners at $1-$15 each (depending on quality). I personally set up a free skinning station on the side of the road and if your willing to let me keep the hide I will skin your deer vary carefully for you and rap it up nice (if you provide the game bag). I also take ďdonatedĒ deer from the out of towners that just want the rack, I will cut the rack off or remove the skull to keep the rest of the animal and what ever meat I will not use goes to the local shelters (they take deer up here).

On a side note, I have been looking for a coyote pelt for a friend (itís a running gag between the two of us about him needing one to get a girl where he lives). If some one takes a yote (or has a spare skin) and is willing to skin it, freeze the hide and then ship it to me in a Styrofoam cooler with some dry ice I will happily pay packing + shipping + $15 for your time. It dose not haft to be a nice one and can even have a hole in it (note, I donít want a completely trashed hide). Just something I can give him for the holidays to perpetuate the laughter over his predicament. If you have one drop me a line.
screamcamo.gif

Bankers, the next gen of Varmint... There like racoons, only around when your not and always messing up your stuff...