3 replies to this topic

#1 riznitch

riznitch

Varminter

• 53 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hello all,

I have a Ruger 77/22 magnum all weather that I'd like to convert to .17hmr. I know I know I know the maggie is a great caliber. I just got back from p-doggin, and me and my buddies were reaching for the Marlin 917 over the Ruger end of story.
Anywho, it is a sporter weight stainless steel barrel that has ~100 rounds through it. 150 rounds tops. Anyone interested in swapping for a stainless HMR barrel of any contour? It does not have to be ruger made. I'd be interested in any third party barrel as long as it fits the action. I do prefer stainless however. I may also be interested in paying for one if the price is right, but would love to make a trade.
As far as length of the barrel and rifle twist rate, I don't know off hand. It is stock 77/22 mag all-weather if that helps.

thanks for looking,
Rich

#2 MarinePMI

MarinePMI

Tech/Guns Editor

• Editor
  • 870 posts
  • Local time: 08:26 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

riznitch,

I doubt you'll get much, if anything, for the stock Ruger barrel (they are not known for their accuracy). That being said, you'd be better off with an after market barrel than a Ruger 17HMR barrel. Here's a link to a SS Running Boar barrel in 17 HMR for the 77/22Mag action.

SS Running Boar Barrel in 17HMR

It'll be the best $85 you'll ever spend (I know, I have one of the prototypes). GM is way better in accuracy than the stock Ruger bbls....

Here's a link to an article I wrote on the prototype barrel, it'll give you an idea of how a Running Boar barrel looks on the 77/22Mag action...

"The Hummin' Boar"

Edited by MarinePMI, 07 August 2008 - 03:15 PM.

MarinePMI
"Despite our ever-changing, ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and sythentic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by a restless wind blowing across sunlit water and beneath star-strewn sky. And on those occasions when I choose to kill,....I do so by choice, quickly, and with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter." -- M. R. James

#3 riznitch

riznitch

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 53 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've known about Green Mountain barrels for years. Their prices are very nice, but there has never been much buzz about their quality. I will definitely be getting a GM barrel for this project. I have a Richard's Monte Carlo stock for it already, and a trigger guard assembly on order (well back order).

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts
  • Local time: 10:26 PM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (riznitch @ Aug 11 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Their prices are very nice, but there has never been much buzz about their quality.

Yeah I don't know? I have two GM 22M barrels and both shoot better than I expected with their ammo of choice. I'll admit, one is particularly finicky about what it will shoot well. The other is only somewhat finicky. But when fed a proper diet of what they like, they shoot very well.

Still haven't gone over to the darkside (17HMR) laugh.gif so I can't comment on those.

Good luck.

Protector of the nuts.