• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 bigrocks

bigrocks

Varminter

• 26 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:35 PM

Well here I am again. Back from the range and scratching my head. Put a new scope on the Savage Model 25 in .204 Ruger. Upgraded from the Tasco Varmint to a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40.

I was shooting Hornady 32 gr V-Max factory rounds, with a posted velocity of 4250. The barrel is 24 inches with a 1:12 twist. My local gun shop couldn't find their boresite rig so I had to do the "looking through the barrel and moving the crosshairs to the target" boresite method.

Because of this, I elected to shoot at a closer range to assure I was on the paper. So I took my first shots at 50 yards. My groupings were non-existant. They were all over the target. I ran a patch through the barrel and gave it another go. Same results. I was absolutely horrified to say the least. $600 for the rifle, $310 for the scope, $200 for the ammo, and $80 for the bipod. Wow, it adds up fast!

It shot just as bad with the Tasco on it, that's why I upgraded the scope.

There was a bit of a cross breeze too.

Anybody know why this is happening? I was thinking maybe it's not the gun, maybe it's the ammo, or the distance I was shooting at? I really don't know. I'm going to call Savage and talk to them about this.

Any input would be appreciated.

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,258 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 PM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

Bummer,

I doubt it's the ammo. I'd be calling Savage ASAP. It should be a oneraggedholer at 50 yds, sounds like a dud.

The good news is, I've had friendly and prompt warranty service from Savage.

Edited by Red, 23 June 2008 - 03:26 PM.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#3 Rich V

Rich V

Varminter

• 560 posts
  • Interests:Self bows, Rifles, Fly fishing, Beekeeping

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

My first though is that when you did your bore sight you may have moved the reticle to much. I would return it to center, make sure everthing is tight, shoot it again without moving the reticle.
Move the target closer or out line it with something like butcher paper or brown paper bags.
Fine minds like fine steels are forged by hard knocks.

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 1,433 posts
  • Local time: 07:31 PM

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:41 AM

Hey Bigrocks...My problem was not so drastic as yours sounds, but I was disappointed in accuracy from my Ruger MK11 .204 at first. I made an Ohio run to visit some old buddies and the problem got corrected. We first levelled my rifle and scope and then made sure the horizontal cross hair was perfectly horizontal. In doing this it also became obvious that the lugs on my scope rings had worked loose as well. We got all that corrected and after re-zeroing the shooter was punching round after round into a bottle cap at 100 yards. How did your phone call with savage turn out?

#5 bigrocks

bigrocks

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah the scope was the first thing I checked. It be tighter than a drum.

I called Savage this morning and talked to their customer care service. They said it sounds like I checked everything that could be checked. They wanted the s/n and they would send UPS with a label to pick it up.

With the exception of them shutting down for two weeks (6-30-08 thru 7-11-08), I was pretty pleased with their willingness to correct the problem. I was told that once they receive the rifle their gunsmith will give it an inspection and then test fire it.

I'm going to ask them if they can smooth the bolt action up as well.

I'll probably have it back by August 1st. So we'll see.

#6 gallosj

gallosj

Varminter

• 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

With all the trouble your having with your 25, I feel very lucky. I picked one up in 223 and mine works like a charm. I can single feed from it without putting the round in the magazine and feeding from the magazine is so smooth I cant ever tell that its putting a round in the chamber(which might not be a good thing). Mine has a really nice piece of wood on it too. The accuracy so far has been good, not great. Im only loading the OAL long enough for feeding through the magazine so I can use it as a repeater. I suspect it would like longer rounds. Im getting about .6 to 1.0 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Which is fine for me because its for coyotes. I think im going to stick with the Sierra 65gr Gamekings. They shoot very consistent in my gun. Id like to try some 52 grainers because my other 223 Savage loves them but I want a little heavier for coyotes. My only two gripes so far are the very heavy bolt lift after firing and if I push the magazine up into the gun all the way, the bolt catches on it during extraction. The only problem with that is my hand usually falls near the magazine during cycling. Other than that mine is good to go. I was considering buying one in 204 I like it so much. I think ill wait to see what Savage says about yours though.

#7 WaltherP99

WaltherP99

Varminter

• 7 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PC's

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

Did you try heavier bullets in it at all??? Alot of people have said they can't get the 1:12's to shoot 32's so well.

It they won't shoot then I would say give the 40's or 39's a try.

#8 bigrocks

bigrocks

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

Well after Savage having my rifle for 17 days, they finally test fired it today! Guess what, they say it's shooting 1.4 inch groups at 100 yards. Well isn't that nice! Can't wait to get it back so I can be frustrated some more. My game plan is to take it to the range in the morning, when the wind is calmer. Shoot it with the Nikon scope back on it. If it still shoots all over the place, I will mount the Tasco World Class off my 22 mag, on it. I know that scope is right on. If it shoots okay, then I'll have to return the Nikon. Otherwise, Savage is going to be receiving a very unpleasent phone call form me.

What a pain!

#9 plain old bill I

plain old bill I

Varminter

• 120 posts
  • Interests:Woodchuck Hunting, Fly Fishing & Tying, Upland Hunting

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

Well..............not to throw gas on the fire as I like Savage (kinda/sorta anyways). But..........and AMMOe here will remember this because I phoned him that day from the range with the story............anywho......

In early May of this year when I purchased my CZ 527 Hornet that was NOT the first Hornet I purchased from the local shop that day!

Earlier I purchased a Savage Model 40, tossed the scope on and went to the range directly w) a box of factory Winchester ammo. Long story short, the rifle would not fire. Took the bolt apart and the fireing pin was just sitting there. It was missing the spring Savages uses. Called the shop and they assured me no one had ever taken the bolt apart. Called Savage and before I tolf them what the problem was I asked them if they test fire there guns prior to shipping............"yep sure do..........every one". I said well.........they could not have on this one because the fireing pin is missing the spring. Reply.........."bla,bla,bla.........yak,yak,yak..........blame everyone but themselves.............even tried to blame the "wholesaler" till I said nope.........sorry the shop buys direct from you, no wholesaler involved ............which is true.

So then while I sat at the range they called the gun shop, then back and fourth with me............bla,bla,bla..........Honestly, by this time I had been expecting to be hunting woodchucks with it I told them and here I sit. So they offered to "pick it up from the shop.........bla,bla,bla...........sorry".

Back to the shop I went with the P.O.S. !!! that had frustrated and wasted my time. I am a regular at the shop which helps in times like this and they took it back (to deal with Savage on their own per my request). I just had bad vibes about this gun now..........and frankly was pissed.

The shop had two CZ's in Hornet on the shelf so I called my wife, got the bosses approval and up'ed the annie to the gun I really wanted. Tossed the scope on, back to the range, called AMMOe to vent and just an hour or so after that had bagged my first Woodchuck with it...........just as soon as I walked in the first field................good vibes wink.gif Eventually worked up some loads and the thing shot as most CZ Hornets do..............which is excellant.

I have been through this bolony before. Your a consumer and have rights. Live and learn but frankly these days I try to nip this kind of B.S. in the bud and put an end to it quick.

If I were you I would demand another rifle or your money back before it gets to late because thats a bunch of B.S. and wasteing you time and money.

Best of luck fellow hunter.

Edited by plain old bill I, 30 July 2008 - 02:36 PM.

#10 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,622 posts
  • Local time: 09:31 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

they finally test fired it today! Guess what, they say it's shooting 1.4 inch groups at 100 yards.

What was their solution/recommendation? Are they going to send it back into their shop or just ship it back to you as is?

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#11 plain old bill I

plain old bill I

Varminter

• 120 posts
  • Interests:Woodchuck Hunting, Fly Fishing & Tying, Upland Hunting

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:24 PM

Glen,

Maybe I took it wrong (script vs. in person dry.gif) but it appears to me Savage thought 1 1/2" groups or 1.4 were good enough. Didn't do anything like replace the barrel and are sending her back.

#12 repelmaster

repelmaster

Varminter

• 21 posts
  • Local time: 03:31 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

I know most peeps shoot with scopes, but I allways go irons first, just to see if the bbl is looking in the same general direction I am. Secondly, when i do mount the scope, I never shoot at paper first, I look for a divot or mud clomp on the burm behind it, and work my zero there, until i am within about 5 inches, then I go to paper.
All things being equal, you have a hairling fracture in one of your scope rings. You may not see it, but it is there, my guess. put on new rings, good ones, and try again. Or the scope is crap.

#13 WTFC

WTFC

Varminter

• 873 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

This is what a .204 should do, I'd get rid of that crowbar.

Remington_700_.204__2_edited.jpg

Edited by WTFC, 31 July 2008 - 03:12 AM.

Wayne

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"

NRA LIFE MEMBER 30+years

Posted Image

#14 timezoneguy

timezoneguy

Varminter

• 138 posts
  • Local time: 05:31 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:12 AM

Todays modern high quality rifles shoud shoot sub MOA. That is not even MOA. I always want to be the weak link when it comes to accuracy, not my rifle. If you can't make it shoot under an inch. Well it can't live at my house. But that's just me.
Timezoneguy.

When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away!

#15 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,622 posts
  • Local time: 09:31 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (plain old bill I @ Jul 30 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glen,

Maybe I took it wrong (script vs. in person dry.gif) but it appears to me Savage thought 1 1/2" groups or 1.4 were good enough. Didn't do anything like replace the barrel and are sending her back.

Hi Bill. I'm with ya. I was just curious if there was any offer to repair before return or if it is a straight "It's good enough to us" return is all. Wondering minds you know. biggrincamo.gif

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52