WTB 223 over 12 ga rifle shotgun combination

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OB OBrien

OB OBrien

Varminter

• 34 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • Interests:RVing, hunting, fishing and woodturning.

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

Looking for a combination rifle/shotgun, 223 over a 12 ga.
Thanks OB

#2 Jbotto

Jbotto

Varminter

• 503 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

i think that savage makes one like the model 24 or something like that. Remington spartan line might also make a combo gun. hope that helps.

Slow down: A fast miss is still a miss and a hit is forever.

"No experience is so conductive for steady and accurate shooting as the knowledge of the impossibility to escape by speed."
-Sir Samuel Baker

#3 OB OBrien

OB OBrien

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

Yep.. Thats what I'm looking for. Either a Savage , or a Baikal (now it's Remington)
Thanks OB
Predator hunter in training.

#4 Jbotto

Jbotto

Varminter

• 503 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

i'm surprised that they aren't too spendy. i saw one at a scheel's on saturday for i under $500. it was scoped too. i'd think if you look hard enough on local gun shop's racks you could find one for a good deal.

"No experience is so conductive for steady and accurate shooting as the knowledge of the impossibility to escape by speed."
-Sir Samuel Baker

#5 OB OBrien

OB OBrien

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

Oh Yes I know. I have lookied high and lo all over the Pensacola, Milton, gulf breeze and Ft walton Beach areas. Found a couple of 30-30s over 12ga and a couple of 22lr over a 410. But not what I'm looking for.

Thanks OB

#6 Jbotto

Jbotto

Varminter

• 503 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

just out of curiosity, what will you be using this combo. for? it sounds pretty predator specific.

-Sir Samuel Baker

#7 OB OBrien

OB OBrien

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:57 AM

Planning on Coyotes, but it might also come in useful when turkey hunting if a yote comes in. The 223 to reach out and touch one and the 12 ga to take him out up close. I can also use them on Pdogs if and when I can get out to the prairie lands.

I have a russian Baikal 12 ga over a 30-06 now and am looking into using a 55 grain 224 bullet loaded in a sabot in a 30-06 cartridge. Those are sold by Remington and called accelerators. (Can you say expensive?)Several folks have said they are not very accurate. I'm going to the range this morning and see how accurate they are. If they are even sort of close then I'll try working up a load for them. I also plan on reloading 110 grain vmaxs in 30-06 cartridges just for predators.

I will be hunting in NorthWest Florida, central Alabama and central Georgia. Out here in the piney woods you never know what will walk up on you. I have been squirrel hunting and almost run over by feral hogs. Can't shoot one of them with #6 shot.

May just give up on the search for the 223/12ga and stick with what Iv'e got. I also have another combination, a Savage 24f 22 magnum over a 20 guage which is good for deer or hogs in Georgia. So stay tuned and see what happens (grin)
Cya OB

Edited by OB OBrien, 03 June 2008 - 03:59 AM.

#8 Jbotto

Jbotto

Varminter

• 503 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

sounds like fun for whatever you do. i've also heard the accelerators are inaccurate. it doesn't hurt to try them though. does remington sell those sabots in bulk for reloading... just curious, i'm not a reloader but just wondering.

-Sir Samuel Baker

#9 OB OBrien

OB OBrien

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:20 AM

Yes the Bullets are from Berger ( 224 cal, 55 grain match grade HP).
The sabots are from E. Arthur.co (www.eabco.com)

Didnj't make it to the range yesterday. Maybe this afternoon. But wow its been in the 90 s here all week. Looks like today is no exception.

Cya OB