55 replies to this topic

#46 Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster

Varminter

• 370 posts
  • Local time: 12:06 AM
  • Interests:That's obvious

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

Dawgmaster, great shooting. I don't want to sound like an irresponsible nut but I am getting 4150fps out of mine with 87g Vmaxs with a 28" Kreiger HV with an 8 twist. I thought the bullets would vaporize at the muzzle but they don't and accuracy is outstanding. I won't give the recipe out because it is 5 grains over max. I have no signs of overpressure either, needless to say I won't go any further. Have a great day. AL

#47 skypilotbc

skypilotbc

Varminter

• 1,782 posts
  • Local time: 01:06 AM
  • Interests:Shooting sports of all kinds, amateur astronomer/astrophotographer,Bible studies, guitars

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

DANG!! CB,
4150 with an "87" is SMOKIN'

Lost interest when I got 4150 out of the "65's" shockedcamo.gif

Still, ya gots ta know. that ANYTHING hit by a 4,000fps+ projectile is gonna know, IT'S BEEN HIT!! biggrincamo.gif

Must be that extra barrel length.........

Just about time to order a 30" from Pac-Nor..........and a 28" 10 twist .204 for the SAVAGE!!~!!!!*&^%$#@

cool.gif

Bob

#48 dawgmaster

dawgmaster

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 795 posts
  • Local time: 09:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

ditto,

Haven't weighed it yet...gonna weigh all three soon, just for curiosity.

chuckB,

That's insane speeds alright. Fastest I've been so far with the 6MM Ackley is about 4200 with a 60gr Berger! My 69gr High BC Berger load was clocking around 3800-3850 today, but is a quite mild load.

Accurate...here it is!

Attached Thumbnails

• Gaillard_bbl_target.jpg

Edited by dawgmaster, 24 February 2009 - 04:43 PM.

#49 Jbotto

Jbotto

Varminter

• 458 posts
  • Local time: 11:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

wow dawgmaster! that rifle is a screamer, and an accurate one at that! nice rifle!

#50 nofun1

nofun1

Varminter

• 14 posts
  • Local time: 10:06 PM

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

Dawg; very nice gun I turned a brand new 6MM VLS into a 6 Dasher. Its no where near the hot rod that you have but easy to shoot and easy on fur. did you forget to post a wolf pic? we'd love to see it.

#51 Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster

Varminter

• 370 posts
  • Interests:That's obvious

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:32 AM

Dawgmaster, very nice group Bud! BIG difference between stock barrels and HL. I have used a bunch of different barrels and found Kreiger to be my favorite. In my experience they are extremely forgiving, what I mean is they will shoot MOA with anything of a decent quaity bullet no matter the powder, primer, OAL or speed. The only exception is my BR rifle, it sports a Wally Hart in 6 ppc. When I was working up the load for the .244 ack I drew a crowd because a bunch of my shooting buddies were laughing there nuts off watching the chronograph. I actually thought that the chrono was on the fritz because of the numbers I was getting but I had a friend shoot over it with his rifle and load and it was right on. Willy Mazed the hell out of me. Next project is a 6 Dasher. I am a big fan of Ackley improved cartridges, they have done me well as far as accuracy velocity and case life. Thats all for now, be safe and enjoy. AL

#52 dawgmaster

dawgmaster

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 795 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

ditto,

Checked it today....11 lbs. Didn't weigh the other two yet.

nofun,

Didn't even take a pic of the wolf....severe mange! Very ugly! I've got the skull though...I'll get yahs a pic of that!

CB,

HL barrels is a great way to go alright...especially if you're like me and you like remmys. Their new tubes aren't much! I hear what your saying about AIs. Sometimes I wish I went 22-250AI instead of a Middlestead, but hey...this barrel won't last forever! freakedcamo.gif

#53 dawgmaster

dawgmaster

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 795 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

6mm Ack (with new barrel) gets its first coyote today...185 yards.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6mm_Ackley_004.jpg

#54 bobc

bobc

Varminter

• 13 posts
  • Local time: 11:06 PM
  • Interests:I collect weatherbys and have been shooting rifles and shotguns for over 40 years. Even though my age is showing somewhat, I love hunting and target shooting. Am very technical in orientation and do a lot of reloading. Have hunting friends all over the US.

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Nice looking coyote and rifle. Now if you had a schmidt-Bender varmint scope on it, then it would be perfect :-))

#55 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 1,985 posts
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Cool.

So, is the 6mm AI a fur rifle or is the other side splattered? tongue.gif

#56 dawgmaster

dawgmaster

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 795 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

I'll have to keep testing!!! freakedcamo.gif

So far the first two shot were frontal shots...one in the shoulder and one coming out above the shoulder...And no they weren't fur friendly.

Need some broadside shots to get a better idea.