• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,263 posts
  • Local time: 05:10 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

I went over to Savage Shooters to look for a VLP stock in the members classifieds. Seems I haven't been there in a while and unless I pay dues I won't be allowed to view the members classified section or even P.M. anyone dry.gif including the moderators dry.gif

"The SavageShooters.com forum and website have gone to a members only policy. This means that only those who purchase a membership will have full and unrestricted access to both the forum and the website.

Newly registered users will be granted access to certain areas of the forum and limited material on the main website."

I guess I understand it but don't have to like it. I could buy a new take-off from one of their vendors but I think I'll just get another Boyd's tongue.gif

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#2 Rick

Rick

Varminter

• 370 posts
  • Local time: 02:10 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:16 AM

Red
I am good firends with Jim that runs SavageShooters.com ....... he lives just alittle over 30 miles from me and I told him it suck that you have to pay to use his website, but thats is how he is paying for his schooling.
Myself I also have stop using his website ....... there is to many other website out there that you can use for free for this gun stuff with out paying $12 to use his website.

#3 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,263 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:29 AM

I may end up paying the $12 per year at some point but it seems that you should at least be able to P.M. the moderators if need be. I've spoken with Jim on a number of occasions in the past and he is a knowledgeable and helpful fellow, I meant no jab at him personally, I just liked the site better before and was not expecting that when I logged in.

#4 skb2706

skb2706

Varminter

• 969 posts
  • Local time: 02:10 AM
  • Interests:First and foremost a shooter.........I have always hunted and for the most part done pretty well. Definitely a better shooter. I hunt big game all over the state of CO including antelope, deer and elk. I between BG hunts I fill in with lots of prairie dogs and this year 2004 I am going to KS for a deer hunt. Just got hooked up for my first official coyote hunt end of Feb. 2004. I have access to lots of excellent prairie property and the hospitality is excellent too. Go figure my big sis married a guy that farms 12000 acres.

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

I guess my biggest bitxh is that I donated about $60 worth of auction items last year (all were bid on, purchased and shipped). At my one year anniversary I got dropped from the 'paying members status'. Using my high math that should make me good for another 3 1/2 years, apparently old Jim doesn't think so.

Edited by skb2706, 24 December 2007 - 08:32 AM.

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,590 posts
  • Local time: 03:10 AM

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:26 AM

I know a few other sites that are going the "pay for extras" route. I am torn between understanding why these sites do it and the issues it causes for members.

As traffic increases, hosting bills go up. Add to that the cost of coders, domains, forum software, etc, etc. Heck, this year alone I've easily spent over $3000.00 to keep this site up and running. It adds up. Most folks don't mind paying a little bit to help out the site. I understand if you can't, you can't, but if you look at what a standard magazine subscription costs, compared to the amount of time you spend reading the website, $12.00 isn't really that much.

On the other hand, there is a certain loyalty you owe the folks who helped build your site, by participation, referring friends, posting links at other sites and spending the time to make sure your site is free from garbage. It goes without saying that sites should treat those members with a bit of respect and maybe give them a freebie as a thank you for helping them get to where they are.

I will probably have to end up going with advertising at some point in time, but subscriptions are not even in my plans.

Eric cool.gif

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#6 Mugwamp

Mugwamp

Varminter

• 141 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

but a sight like savage shooters isn't worth the money, all they do is pat themselves on the back for owning savages, and completely hating on anything that isn't.
I had thought about it but then realized that just about every other sight is better managed, more information, easier to navigate, and the people involved are easier to get along with, and better.
Same with the ruger forum.
Friends help you move, true friends help you move the body.

#7 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 13,263 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

SKB, you should have been given a pass, no doubt about it.

Like Eric said, when you consider the cost of a magazine subscription I guess the $12 isn't that much, but Savage Shooters does have a number of paying advertisers that I would think should cover the cost of operation plus some without having to go to their supporters? I folded and paid the $12 (this time) simply because it's still the best place to trade used or "take-off" Savage parts and glean info on certain Savage related subjects. Besides, Jim has helped me in the past and his help was worth well more than the $12.

Still rips me that their moderators cannot be contacted without paying though.

#8 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,631 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:19 AM

Still rips me that their moderators cannot be contacted without paying though.

ohmy.gif

How much $$ have we lost?????

tongue.gif anim_rofl2.gif anim_rofl2.gif

I'm not cheap!! I'm free dammit!! laugh.gif

I understand why they've done that & I'm surprised more boards haven't gone that route. If the Varminter ever would I certainly would pay here. I don't think we'll ever have to tho.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#9 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Glen @ Dec 30 2007, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the Varminter ever would I certainly would pay here.

Oh, Glen, I forgot to tell you yesterday about our new subscription for Ohio residents.

Just send me $3789.46 and you will have full access to the site, including your private messages and the classifieds!!

Oh, you can still PM Red and I too!! laugh.gif

I'll let you know when I get the check!!

Eric cool.gif

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#10 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,631 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

dry.gif mad.gif

sad.gif

anim_rofl2.gif anim_rofl2.gif

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#11 Mugwamp

Mugwamp

Varminter

• 141 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Glen @ Dec 30 2007, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the Varminter ever would I certainly would pay here.
I don't post here that much, but I would not be opposed to this, especially since this is actually a useful sight.
Friends help you move, true friends help you move the body.

#12 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Eric Mayer @ Dec 29 2007, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will probably have to end up going with advertising at some point in time, but subscriptions are not even in my plans.

Eric cool.gif